TAB 400

Jinx & Wayne

6 hours ago, lg61820 said:

I would suggest a look at some older videos of "Travels with Delaney" on YouTube.  He is very informative and has thoroughly reviewed every aspect of the T@b 400.  He and his wife eventually traded it because of the bed situation - one crawling over the other.

I'm passing that on!  Thanks.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

They are planning to work part of the year.

It will be interesting to observe and they may well surprise us all. Our nephew & his wife do quite a bit of travel with their teardrop trailer and have now for 5 years or so, but not fulltime. If they are experienced campers that will go a long way to help them make it a success. Do update us from time to time. Back when we first started fulltime we met a couple who were fulltime in a pop-up and were starting their third year. I also used to know a single male who lived fulltime in a home conversion of the Econoline van. Clearly it is possible by some an I enjoy seeing them succeed where most of us might not. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Based in part on advice from here they are still seriously considering the T@B 400 but are also going to look at several others.  They are looking forward to the Tampa RV  show.

BTW, if anyone is interested in owning a B & B in Bar Harbor, theirs just went on the market yesterday.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

Are they looking for a turn key and go trailer?  Or are they open and have the time to do a build? 

The commercial truck body company Total Composites has branched into DIY expedition and slide in truck camper bodies, are now doing pre assembly of their body kits, and just lately have designed a trailer version. 

They have some dealers in the USA as well. 

These bodies are kind of the opposite of the swoops and swirls waferboard and staples RV ... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

BnB meaning Big and Beautiful! Wow that place is NICE!

Yeah they need to look at something a bit roomier, but still as well made as the TAB.

My first choice would be to have them look over the Escape Trailers. There is typically a lead time and deposit required.

These are really nice trailers and not a huge leap in cost over a TAB 400. I mean, yeah, they will pay a bit more, most likely, and probably need a bigger tow vehicle than the TAB400 needs....but very worth it in my opinion. I have seen them up close and these things are really nice...and they project a certain....success...I need not explain further.

Not as over-the-top as an Airstream, but still very nice.

https://escapetrailer.com/#

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

Very reasonable for the property and the furnishings.

A nice 2000 sq foot house here is about half that unfurnished. And the B&B makes income to boot.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

17 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

The Tab will be a HUGE drop in square footage for them from their B&B!

Not really.  Most of the place is guest space/kitchen/office/storage.  Until last year they lived in one room with a bath.  This year they revamped the Inn and expanded living quarters to two rooms plus the bath.  They are pretty sure they can step down.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

44 minutes ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

They are pretty sure they can step down.

When we went on the road we made a much bigger change. We lived in a 1700 sq. ft. house with 2 car garage/laundry room, an outside storage building of 180 sq. ft., and a large patio+ gazebo. From that we moved into a 36' motorhome with no slides, or roughly 260 sq. ft. of living space. That motorhome was our only home for almost 12 years in spite of constantly hearing "you can't live in that!" I doubt that the determining factor will be the amount of living space, even though I think they are wise to consider a bit more. 

Wayne I'm with you.

Short version: At worst they lose a little money in return for seeing if the Tab fits. I say go for it if it seems to THEM it would be fun and work.

The below is just our opinion of what worked for us and the many RVs we have owned. So skip it if you are already fulltime and found what is right for you, as my main recommend is in the short version.

Long version for our opinion and preferences.

After years of Pop up tent campers, then 7 VW Westphalia pop top campers we customized to super stock, in our 20s and thirties while active duty all over the US and Europe for seven years. Then we retired at from the USAF at my age 45 and had the HitchHiker and 1 ton Ram Diesel dually long bed. We had two 36 foot fivers, a great HitchHiker, and a Challenger (which was one giant factory defect,) then a 28 foot 2003 Mobile Scout by Sunnybrook 2850SLwhich was perfect for full-timing and which we lived in for a year until our new house was finished in 2015.  It was well built and we bought it used and cheap enough to put a new roof on it as it needed a new EPDM roof and it had no damage as we caught it before it started leaking. I had full hookups and a level pad we made next to my 24X30 workshop on a slab, out of the way of the house dirt pad and concrete preparation then construction. It was the best compromise between smaller and less weight, but not minimalist.

Then we bought a 19' Scamp fifth wheel which I could live in with my dog full time but not as a couple full-time because it was built with the smaller wet bath and toilet. Had it been the other larger wet-bath floorplan it could work as it loses the bottom bunk under the main bed. We had a Ram Diesel 2500 to tow both the Sunnybrook and Scamp. Too bad Sunnybrook along with HitchHiker are out of business. It had a spare bunk-bedroom with a closet and doors where the bottom bunk area on the floor fit both dog beds perfectly, and we had storage on the top bunk and extra wardrobe closet. It also had plenty of basement space and through storage on one space. The living area had very tall ceilings. Both bedrooms had plenty of headroom for my 6' height. It had a useless tiny bath and if I was ordering new would opt for the shower in lieu of tub option. But we never bought cars or RVs, or houses new. If I really wanted exactly my specs, with the Internet and little patience, we could find it.

We have been looking at teardrops and smaller units for weekends but the ones we can tow with the Forester are just not suitable for full timing, for us as a couple. No basements or storage compared to smaller fivers, and the Scamp was the same with no basement as it is based off their travel trailers which also have no big basement storage compared to a conventional fifth wheel. But I have seen a retired vet full-timing in a tent on Travis AFB FamCamp back in 1998, and full-timers in tiny travel trailers and the Scamp tiny fiberglass egg 19' fiver.

Since tiny houses and trailers are all the rage now with the younger crowd I am sure some folks can full time in anything.

Absolutely nothing wrong with buying and selling a few RVs to find YOUR sweet spot. I look at that as the same as rental fees for any small losses as I buy and sell to get there. I would rather a non leaking fixer upper to try a floorplan and size, bought cheaply, because we could fix enough to make a profit and try again if it wasn't right. Breaking even or a small loss was fine for me. Cheap education. Buying as expensive as I could afford or making a loan was not our style. Then we can't as easily buy and sell because of bank liens and would have to pay a lot over time in finance charges.

I'd say go for it as long as they can accept whatever loss (education tuition) they incur if they decide to go bigger in a year or two.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

8 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

Not really.  Most of the place is guest space/kitchen/office/storage.  Until last year they lived in one room with a bath.  This year they revamped the Inn and expanded living quarters to two rooms plus the bath.  They are pretty sure they can step down.

Wayne & Jinx

Yes... but how many hours were they in that one room?  On rainy days or blustery cold snowy days were they confined there?  I really hope they succeed in doing this!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I agree Jim, how many of us decided to upgrade to a bigger or smaller or try a different type of RV after getting our first rig? Answer: Lots of us. :);)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 9/25/2021 at 11:42 AM, podwerkz said:

BnB meaning Big and Beautiful! Wow that place is NICE!

Yeah they need to look at something a bit roomier, but still as well made as the TAB.

My first choice would be to have them look over the Escape Trailers. There is typically a lead time and deposit required.

These are really nice trailers and not a huge leap in cost over a TAB 400. I mean, yeah, they will pay a bit more, most likely, and probably need a bigger tow vehicle than the TAB400 needs....but very worth it in my opinion. I have seen them up close and these things are really nice...and they project a certain....success...I need not explain further.

Anybody want to trade a 21 foot Escape for a 19 foot Casita???  They are both nice trailers.

The Casita is fine for one person and a small dog.  To make it work you need to get boxes, little ones, bigger ones, and medium size ones and store them in the tow vehicle.

It also makes sense to get a screen house so in good weather for additional living space.  

It adds to the expense, but one can get a basic four-wheel camper for the truck that tows the tab.  Buy the dinette option and you can a additional queen bed and a separate workspace to boot.  Lots of additional storage room in the four-camper.  

I like small trailers when towing and they are ok for living out of in the back country.  I have a 31 foot fifth wheel but it just sits on a RV lot since it is such a pain to tow.

The mistake I made was buying the 5th wheel first thinking I could get it into the back country areas.  I think starting small and moving up is a better strategy.  At some point, you will find the perfect size.

BUT if you want to be out in the boonies on Forest Service and BLM land start small.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I agree Vlad, that's why I said if they want to show them how they can instead of why they can't. That's the whole point. If determined enough and are the adapt, improvise, and overcome, folks can make anything work they want to. I just think getting small used and letting the original buyer take the big depreciation hit makes sense just in case. Or renting first. We will be going small because we won't be full-timing again according to SWMBO, my Significant Harassment of 49 years. 😉 And I have been looking at teardrops and smaller rigs. But I much prefer a gooseneck made as such or a fifth wheel. Much more stable in wind and when passed by trucks. The Scamp fiver is a semi gooseneck with good physics behind the design without the stresses of the frame damaging gooseneck adapters.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 9/26/2021 at 9:01 PM, bigjim said:

I know we all mean well but these folks seem more informed than a lot of people we try to help in some of our convoluted way so if they can afford it lets continue to help but give them the benefit of the doubt as to their choice.

Thanks Bigjim.  This daughter is one of the most capable people i know.  They understand that size/room/space will be an issue.  They are young and able enough to figure this one out.  The help from this forum is appreciated by them.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

You know that now we are all dying to find out what they get, don’t you?

I belong to a forum for Lance owners.  There are several couples who have “gotten their feet wet” with Tab trailers then bought a Lance with a walk-around bed a year or two later.  All of them have had nothing but good things to say about the trailers, just that they outgrew them.  There’s also one couple that have been full-timing in a (good sized) truck camper for several years.  It can be done if the couple wants it.

9 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

The help from this forum is appreciated by them.

They have generated a lot of interest on this forum too, so please do let us know what they choose and then how things go for them. The very fact that they have considered the things mentioned here as they plan indicates that they very likely will find a way which works for them and that is the key to success. Who knows but that they could be the next Cherie Ve Ard & Chris Dunphy(Technomadia) because who would have predicted when they first met that the adventure would take them where it has? Having had conversation about that with Chris & Cherie a couple of years ago, I can assure you that neither of them would have predicted things to go as they have, back when they traveled in the Tab! 

As I read back through the entire thread, I see a common line of thinking from all of us that what they choose will be a permanent or at least semi-permanent and for much longer than what they may be thinking. Younger people (40's - 50's) tend to be far more flexible than do most of us (60's - 70's). While I do not know how old Chris & Cherie are, I am very sure that they are in the age range of my children(possibly younger) and not the age range of most of us. I would love to hear what sort of advice Chris & Cherie would give to your daughter & husband. No doubt it would be very different from what most of us give. If you have not done so, suggest that they reach out to them as there are a lot of similarities.

Edited by Kirk W

Thanks again.  I will definitely update.  Or maybe they will update when they have time.  I expect that they will join.  Just the two of them running the inn.  And they are very persnickety about having it done just right. That makes it a 18-20 hour per day job, 7 days per weeks from May through mid-November. (At which point nature shuts off the heat and turns off the leaf lights in Maine. Not much business in Bar Harbor after that.)

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:  Closing on the Inn is this week.  They should be down here in FL around Jan 2 and we will join them for the RV show.  They don't have a trailer yet, but they have reservations with us in Oct and Nov on Outer Banks! 

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

6 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

UPDATE:  Closing on the Inn is this week.  They should be down here in FL around Jan 2 and we will join them for the RV show.  They don't have a trailer yet, but they have reservations with us in Oct and Nov on Outer Banks! 

I love seeing people heading into this great way of life. Congratulations on converting the next generation!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I was not familar with this RV so I looked it up.  I think it looked like a great choice for full time travel for at least a few years.  It depends on the individuals.  My wife and I like to travel and visit National Parks and other areas of great beauty.  We are out an about all day typically hiking and always doing photography.  We avoid RV parks and similar camping areas and often stay in dispersed camping areas.  We rarely camp more than a week or two at one location.  A small trailer like this would be perfect.  

The fresh water tank is pretty minimal and so is storage.  A pickup truck with a covered 8' bed and another 10-15 gallons of water would fix both issues.