Truck being decorated and not in a way I enjoy.

lappir

I posted a little bit about my most recent issue in a topic regarding "Mouse Infestation", but today I found the real issue. 

I have a battery minder on my batteries and move it from battery to battery every few days to weeks. Last week after using my winch I decided to hook up to the battery I use for it. I found a couple "Pine Cones" on the batteries and thought it strange. No way for them to "Fall" on that area. I took them off and hung a "Drier Sheet" in the area to discourage the storing of food in that area by what I assumed was a Squirrel or three. 

Today I checked the batteries again with a light and found a whole pile of pine cones in the battery box, didn't seem to be any new ones but decided I best pop the hood and see if the engine compartment was affected too and it sure was. I will attempt to post some photos of what I found. 

After the initial find I cleaned my cat's litter box and put a few of the "Urine" balls under the truck. Today I actually put a couple areas of cleanings from the litter box to hopefully discourage what ever animal it is that is using my truck as a food storage area. Little does it know that in less than a month the food will be moving several hundred miles away and won't do it any good. 

2efAMmBl.jpg

EyKxMwjl.jpg

Top photo is the top of the radiator and second photo is the top of the transmission. I reached as many as I could in all the areas I have found them. Will check every couple days to see if they start coming back. Maybe I should have gathered them all and put them in a bag and in the garbage, but I just tossed them back under the trees. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

9 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

That's probably pack rats; not mice.  They hoard all kinds of things.

red squirrels

If you see a pile of pine cones in the woods, all chewed up and discarded, or left in piles or neat rows for future use, then you'll know red squirrels are about. You may hear the squirrels and not see them, but they're keeping a watchful eye.

my internet search this morning came up different. Packrats are more Southern US and I'm about an hour from the Canadian border. 
I also spoke with the park office person last night and she is going to check on what her " Grandfather" may know about how to discourage the activity. I certainly heard one on Sunday when I was working on my tool box, but had yet to find the stash. Will keep a more watchful eye out. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

https://wildfiretoday.com/2012/09/26/squirrel-causes-vehicle-fire/

Found the above news article of 2012. Glad I found them before starting out and early enough get them all cleaned out before moving next month. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Could be worse. Random internet pic of snail shells on a car engine:

rjaew8be9vn71.jpg

Maybe would smell worse, but not sure if they would burn. That's my main worry. My Cat litter seems to be working so far. No new cones found anywhere. My cat also decided to get out of her "Harness" today and explore under the truck. That may reinforce the 'maybe not a good place to store food' sense. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I always keep the truck and camper parked by the deck behind my house. The cats love to hang out under the camper. I have never had mice in either my truck or camper until I decided not to put the truck there and park it with the rest of our farm trucks for the winter.

When I cleaned the truck out to park it that fall I missed the upper cabinet above the windshield. Turns out the mice just love microwave popcorn.

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

It's been several days now and no new Pine Cones anywhere in the truck. It appears the used cat litter has done the job as I expected. Now to remember to put some out before I find an issue. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I have that sometimes if one of my vehicles sits for too long. I started spreading moth ball crystals (smaller balls) under my RV and just in the wood line. We had a mouse in the camper this past spring. Since I started using the moth balls/crystals I haven't seen any trace of the critters. Of course a few good outdoor cats will do the trick as well right!

Edited by Rotorhead

We've put moth balls in a mesh bag and put them in the engine compartment.  No mice, pack rats, squirrels, chipmunks.  We made sure to leave a note on the steering wheel to remind us to remove the bag before starting the engine!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2007 Honda GL 1800