Would like some help deciding what kind of RV to purchase and how to find?

Charlie918

2 hours ago, ColleenKess said:

am not able to find a dealer for Wingamm. Do you know any? 

From Motor Biscuit

Wingamm plans to sell the Oasi 540 in the U.S. in 2022, but only in two areas, LA and New Jersey.

Wingamm then plans on selling its camper van nationwide in 2023.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There are a couple Van's sitting outside my window here at the park and I have posted this photo before.  https://i.imgur.com/ZVlvBlZl.jpg. I'm at the other end of the spectrum. Tried to get a photo for here, but it wouldn't load. Maybe later. 

If I were to do it over, I'd probably do exactly the same thing I did when I started my search. Look at everything you can, find what you like, what you can't stand and try to determine if you can afford it. 

I was lucky, my brother bought one of the rig's I looked at and agreed to allow me to use if for a 3month trip to Florida. I found I could actually live in the size of rig he had, but was very glad I didn't actually purchase that one.  It took me another year to find one similar to actually purchase and then another 5 to get the one I have now. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vcosutDqhzu9dEHJ7 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KHqVxBRQE4r5zcWK7

The photo inserter did not work for the other single photos I chose so the above are albums from my google photos when the trailer was new in 2013. The truck does not look the same today and the inside of the trailer has been modified too.  Even if you think you have thought of everything, until you live in the rig you buy you won't really know what you like, dislike or can't stand. If you build a custom rig, once you put the down payment in to have them start you will be stuck with what they provide at the end. That's another very long story. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 minute ago, Kirk W said:

AM-JKLWh41rF5_FkD6Wg0kX48G14ZiuPnZ2OuTXe

It works if you use the "Other Media" in the lower right corner............

Thanks Kirk, 

Not exactly the photo I had in mind, but it certainly is my rig. I guess the other photo didn't load into the post either. I clicked the "Other Media" and tried to put the photo in here, but it would only turn from blue to red. If I try to use the "drag files here to attach, or choose files" I get the message the photos size is too big. Some day they need to fix that and maybe no one will complain again about changing the counters. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

4 minutes ago, ColleenKess said:

I am looking for a well made B/B+ .

While there are several participants in the forums who have or used to have a class B, it is not something that I have much experience with and have never owned one. There are several brands that I have known satisfied owners of, but none are of the backcountry type design like the Wingamm. We do have friends who currently own a Travato and love it. The Revel that they build might come fairly close to what you want.

12 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

While there are several participants in the forums who have or used to have a class B, it is not something that I have much experience with and have never owned one. There are several brands that I have known satisfied owners of, but none are of the backcountry type design like the Wingamm. We do have friends who currently own a Travato and love it. The Revel that they build might come fairly close to what you want.

Maybe I would be better with class c at/under 25' and getting a motor scooter for ease of day trips. The options are so overwhelming!!! I will be working full time remotely as well. I leaned to class b/b+ due to the propensity to come with robust solar/battery capacity. Also, I am afraid of the black tank still 🙂

On 10/3/2021 at 10:14 AM, ColleenKess said:

Maybe I would be better with class c at/under 25'

I would suspect that most of us would find that to be the case, but only you can really know what fits you best. If you have not done so, I strongly suggest you visit the largest RV show that you can find and plan to spend at least a full day there. Check out every option that is within your budget, even with allowance for shifting to a used RV that is a few years old, if budget limits your options. As you do that, pentaamine the daily activities like cooking, cleaning, showers & toilet actions, and where & how you would do your work. That will go a long way toward finding a good fit. While most fulltimers find it inconvenient to use the RV as their daily driver, there are those  who do so for years so consider your options carefully. As a single, probably the most inconvenient part of towing a small car is hooking up to travel. Carrying a scooter or similar vehicle is an option that many people find works well so that too is worth consideration. Pam & I traveled with bicycles and no towed vehicle for several years but not fulltime as we started to tow and never looked back a couple of years before we went on the road. 

Always keep in mind that the only limit to the possible ways of living in an RV is your own imagination, so do not overlook any possibility. 

Edited by Kirk W
correct typo

I would agree with Kirk, However having owned sevel motorscooters, he Honda Aero 105, a Vespa, Honda Elite 150, and the 250cc Honda Helix I have a caution.

An under 25 foot Class C will be very limited in carrying capacity. Scooters weigh more than most people would think. I would research that first because you may find weight and handling issues. If you plan to have a rear carrier research the weights of those as well, add them together. If it is a hitch carrier that goes in a standard 2" hitch the hitch on the motorhome also is usually limited to 300-500 ponds max. That includes the weight of the carrier and scooter/bike. If the rig is one with too much rear overhang, that extra weight at the back can affect handling in winds uneven roads.

I've ridden Motorcycles from my Honda Dream 305cc (I think)  back in the day to full dress Harley Super Glides and Goldwings and everything in between.

I love the fun of a scooter, and that I could ride right after a rain and the front fairing kept me from getting soaked from puddles. But even the Helix strained to cruise at highway speeds and motorcycles were heavy. But for in town they are great. Even the smaller ones. Electric bikes while limited in speed and range still go 50-150 pounds and require a carrier. But may be ideal if you consider that for any side trips you can use the class C to take the highways there, then the ebike for the immediate area.

First go to the shows as Kirk suggested. Get specs and weights for any you think you might consider and do the research yourself on adding the weight of a scooter and carrier. If it hasn't been suggested you might want to join the RV Consumer group for their guides. They won't help you decide which of the front runners to get, but will help you eliminate the worst from your consideration.

Class Cs with long rear overhangs can be from hard to handle to downright scary in winds or being passed by big trucks. Many are more stable by the physics of their design. See the here: https://rv.org/blogs/news

That's their free info page. I have no affiliation with them other than I bought their rating guides and got lots of help from them and made the right choices for me.

You sound motivated to learn. This stuff isn't rocket science, just tedious for some.

Great good luck with your research!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Something to consider. A B class is often built into a production van. Thus it may be narrower than a C class. The walls may also sloped in at the top. A C class will be that bit wider and have vertical walls. Doesn't sound much but going small means less space. A C class foot for foot will have a more usable storage solution.

We currently have a B class van. Its a Fiat Ducato. RAM in the USA. After 3 40ft motorhomes it was a bit of a shock. But there are 2 of us and find it great. Stress is way down. Drives like a car. 9 litres per 100k. We free camp and almost never run out of power with our solar set up. Poke around all the back roads. No dead end road worries. Parks in a supermarket car space.

But that works for us. And what suits us isn't for every one.

3 hours ago, bruce t said:

Something to consider. A B class is often built into a production van. Thus it may be narrower than a C class. The walls may also sloped in at the top. A C class will be that bit wider and have vertical walls. Doesn't sound much but going small means less space. A C class foot for foot will have a more usable storage solution.

There's also what often called a B+. It's a bit wider than a true B but doesn't have the over-cab bed like a C does.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van