DirectTV/AT&T Streaming Buffering??

rbertalotto

How come when I'm using my AT&T hotspot to stream DirectTV Streaming it is constantly buffering. Yet when watching YouTube or Peacock or HuLu or any other streaming service it never buffers? I'm using ROKU streamers in my RV with a AT&T or T-Mobile or Verizon HotSpot. Happens on either of them, all with excellent connections.NEVER! Sometime the DirectTV will be playing for ten to fifteen minutes and then buffer, come back on for a few minutes and then go out again with the message that "Something went wrong, try again later!"....This has never ever happened with other streaming services. 

Interestingly, and not to be political, but it happens way more often while watching Fox News. I watch Fox News, CNN and MSNBC, and FN buffers much more often. 

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Sounds like a DirectTV streaming issue (as it is the only one have issue).  Try searching those forums for intel.  My guess is that it isn't happy with either your bandwidth or something in the pipe.  For example I was having a DishNetwork issue, turned out that network gear between me and Dish was stomping on their traffic.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

Make sure the you are running the latest versions, update the apps.

Heres some troubleshooting guides;

How do I fix buffering problems with DirecTV?

To fix buffering problems with DirecTV, you need to understand the causative factors first. Buffering issues with DirectTV may occur as a result of;

• Minor problems with your network connectivity. This could be due to weak signal coverage or damaged cable connections that cause an unstable network and consequently unstable internet bandwidth that ultimately brings about buffering problems.
  • Low broadband speeds attributable to router issues.
  • Device problems.
  • Using an outdated DirecTV application.

To fix buffering issues with DirecTV, you can use the steps below to guide along the way.

• Fix your home's network issues: You can fix your network issues by replacing your router with a stronger one or moving the streaming device closer to the router for improved pocket data distribution. Additionally, you can connect to the internet using the LAN cable, and when that doesn't work, you could try rebooting the router. If using the LAN cable proves futile, you may need to replace it with a new one.
  • Improve your network speed: Low network speeds may be due to overloaded or insufficient bandwidth. Whichever the case, you can improve your network speed by reducing the number of connected devices or upgrading to internet plans that guarantee higher speeds.
  • Update the DirecTV application: DirecTV software developers provide regular updates for the application to improve your online streaming experience. Once an update is available, support for the previous version is automatically canceled, resulting in buffering issues. To steer clear of such problems, you should regularly update your DirecTV application.
  • Reboot your streaming device: Small problems with streaming devices such as phones or tablets can result in buffering problems. Depending on the type of device you use, you can resolve this by soft resetting the device or hard restarting it when the soft reset doesn't work.
  • Pause and Play the playback for a few minutes: Buffering happens when a streaming program plays a video faster than downloading caches. To fix the buffering problem in such scenarios, you need to start the movie or video, pause it for a few minutes, then resume the video to enjoy it without buffering.

Alternatively;

You may also fix the buffering issue with DirecTV by changing your streaming device. For instance, if you were streaming via your computer, you can switch to Roku. Besides that, if any of the fixes above fail to yield meaningful results, you're welcome to contact DirecTV's customer care desk for further assistance.

Although I don't have personal experience with DirecTV Streaming, we do use several streaming services including YouTube TV, Netflix, Acorn, Britbox, Prime Video and HBO MAX.   What I've noticed is that some services are better than others with respect to the buffering issue. 

In my experience, Netflix is the best of them with an uncanny ability to work without rebuffering.  But I've also noticed that Netflix appears to be more aggressive than most with respect to reducing video resolution to accommodate changes in bandwidth.  By way of contrast, YouTube TV is slow to reduce (or increase) video resolution which can lead to repeated buffering before the system finally decides to reduce your bandwidth.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels