Filling up creek water into fresh water tank?

Travel Trailer forever

We always dry camp next to a creek 5-6 days and I was wondering if I were to filter water into my fresh water tank would it be alright?  I would only use it for showers and washing dishes.  I am tied of military showers.  I would connect at least 2-3 RV water filter to collect any bacteria before reaching my sump pump than into my fresh water tank.  I always carry a Camco 39006 36-Gallon Rhino Portable RV Waste Holding Tank with me at all times.  Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Travel Trailer Forever.

It should be OK if you treat your tank with 3RPurogene after creek water is passed through a  sediment filter.

I use Sodium Dichlor, however it is not EPA approved for treating drinking water, only swimming pool water.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

When our niece was a toddler on a canoe camping trip she got gardia from dragging her fingers in the water up in the Boundary Waters (now Voyageurs National Park) then putting those fingers in her mouth. Just because you are out in the wild does not mean it's safe to drink the water. Filter it, please, people.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 11:09 PM, beemergary said:

I've drank lots of water from "Moving" creeks in Alaska-Yukon-BC-Northwest Territories Montana with no problems.

When I was a Boy Scout I was taught that moving water in the woods was safe to drink.  When I studied to be a Maine Guide I learned that was not true.  Moving water or still, it can contain giardia (aka Beaver Fever) parsites.  It is not just humans that spread it, but animals, too.  The Mayo clinic say:

"Giardia parasites are found in lakes, ponds, rivers and streams worldwide, as well as in public water supplies, wells, cisterns, swimming pools, water parks and spas. Ground and surface water can become infected with giardia from agricultural runoff, wastewater discharge or animal feces."

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

• 3 months later...

Interesting question.

I camp and backpack a lot (non-RV camping) and converted over to using a Katadyn gravity filtration system for camp water. The system I have is with a 10L bag. I've never had any water-related issues/sickness I could trace back to the water.

I am not sure how you would be able to fill your tank efficiently with something like the Katadyn system, but it would certainly work for preparing several gallons of water a day. You just have to keep up with filling the bag.

I'll fill up to 2 gallons camping. That is a huge improvement in camp life over the hand operated filter pumps we used to use when I was in college. We would use the hand pumps to fill a 32oz nalgene bottle or two - and that was a lot of work. Now getting even several gallons of filtered water to use in camp is a piece of cake comparatively - just keep an eye on the container that is collecting the water so you don't over fill it, and keep up with filling the bag.

On the contrary to filtered "potable water" - we use straight lake water at our cabins for showers, sinks, and toilets. Its been that way up there for 4 generations. We tank in well water from our neighbors for drinking. So as far as stream water goes - I don't see any reason you can't use it. If it were me, I wouldn't drink it straight unless it was a fresh mountain stream, but even then with the Katadyn filter system its too easy to filter to not filter and take the risk, however small it might be.