Tank Monitor replacement for Black - Gray - Water tanks

gypsydan

What experience does anyone have with replacing their gray-black-water tank monitors with external monitors.  

Which monitor did you use?

Has anyone attached new external monitors using the existing wiring system of the existing internal monitors which came with your rig.?

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I installed SeeLevel tank level sensors and displays on both our previous and current motorhomes. The installation is relatively easy if the sides of the tanks are accessible. The sensors and display are connected using the existing wiring. There's a variety of setups available to match pretty much any configuration.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Tank-Monitor-System-s/164.htm

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

While I've not spent the money to update any of our RVs, I have followed the products available for some time. Many years ago when I was in the US Navy my job included tank level indication equipment and some of it used a technology very similar to that of See Level by Garnet Instruments. I have known several people who owned RVs that use the See Level and all of the reports have been good. There is another product that has been around for some time and on which I have heard mixed reviews, but which costs far less. This is to replace the existing tank probes with Horst Miracle Probes to improve the effectiveness. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just got done replacing our tank monitor system with the Seelevel system. It was pretty easy as out tanks are exposed underneath the trailer. They do recommend if they are exposed that you spray undercoating on them after you have tested to make sure they are working ok and the sensors have been permanently mounted (you test them first by just having them taped in place). I did use my old wiring for the new system. Our water pump switch was on our old monitor panel so I had to use theirs but it was not rated enough for our pump. There instructions said to use a relay which I got at a local auto parts store and wired it in. So far has been working good. Our old monitor always showed the back tank full and the grey tank about 2/3s. New system when installed showed them at 0% and then to test we ran water in them untill they read 10-20%. 

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

7 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

I just got done replacing our tank monitor system with the Seelevel system. It was pretty easy as out tanks are exposed underneath the trailer.

Thanks for the update! 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

I have also updated my tank sensors to see level II. I added an additional monitor to the wet bay area (so when dumping or filling I can view gauge readings) so I ran separate wiring. Still very easy system to install. Hardest part dropping the coroplast to expose the tanks.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

I have a trailer for my base camp that is "4 Canada seasons" - bottom of tank enclosure is enclosed with spray foam - 

But it has the crummy range hood sensors (note to manufacturer: WHY??)

Anyhoo I was thinking about installing an inline meter on the water line.  All mechanicals except the tanks are inside the living space. 

Then I could forget to jot down the starting meter reading to subtract the added volume from the tank volume so I still wouldn't know how much water is left...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.