Bike rack for Ebikes on a TT

BeckyE

We have ordered two EBikes that will weigh approximately 65# each when the battery is removed. They will be the Fat Tire style. We used to carry two regular bikes on a rack behind our TT with no problems. Obviously, those bikes were much lighter. We not longer full time but still take occasional trips so I would like to find a bike rack that is rated to be used behind a TT that can handle the extra load.

I would appreciate recommendations from anyone who has a similar situation. Thanks

16 hours ago, BeckyE said:

We have ordered two EBikes that will weigh approximately 65# each when the battery is removed. They will be the Fat Tire style. We used to carry two regular bikes on a rack behind our TT with no problems. Obviously, those bikes were much lighter. We not longer full time but still take occasional trips so I would like to find a bike rack that is rated to be used behind a TT that can handle the extra load.

I would appreciate recommendations from anyone who has a similar situation. Thanks

Hollywood makes racks for Ebikes.  Not cheap, and I've heard they take a while to get them. 
Amazon.com : KAC Overdrive Sports K2 2” Hitch Mounted Rack 2-Bike Platform Style Carrier for Standard, Fat Tire, and Electric Bicycles – 60 lbs/Bike Heavy Weight Capacity – Smart Tilting – RV Use Prohibited : Sports & Outdoors

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

5 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Thanks. I just checked this link. Unfortunately, this rack isn't recommended for RV's. I seem to find this to be the case in a lot of the ones I check into.

4 hours ago, BeckyE said:

Thanks. I just checked this link. Unfortunately, this rack isn't recommended for RV's. I seem to find this to be the case in a lot of the ones I check into.

I would think it's not uncommon for rack manufacturers to discourage use on RVs, possibly to limit their liability. That doesn't mean they won't work on a camper, but it's important to make sure your trailer's frame is strong enough. Also, it's often a good idea to run a strap from the top of the rack to the trailer to reduce bounce and sway. A camera mounted to keep an eye on the rack will provide additional peace of mind. Jay

• 4 weeks later...

When we bought Jinx's e-trike (78#) the shop sold us the Hollywood rack for it and my regular bike.  We had endless problems with parts cracking and loosening.  I finally had everything reinforced and welded to reduce movement.  It appears to be working, but we only have 600 miles on the modified rack.  If I had it to do over I would look at a rack for a M/C.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Is there anything that takes up more space while being such a nuisance to transport on such flimsy built racks and contraptions

than bicycles? (plural) 

The concept of triangles and close tolerances to stop the flapping about seems lost on the rack industry

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

There’s two problems when it comes to e-bikes: first, finding a rack that will be sturdy enough for them and that don’t say “not recommended for RVs”.  Second the travel trailer has to be able to handle that much weight on the back of the trailer, I know that my trailer’s frame is too light for even a regular bike on the back, an electric bike is out of the question.  Along with the frame question is the question of weight distribution - how are you going to keep the tongue weight from getting too light when you add all that weight to the back of the trailer.  I once followed a trailer with a couple of bikes on the back, watching the bikes and the back of the trailer bounce around so much that I thought the driver must be having a hard time keeping the rig under control.

Some of the people I know have put bike racks on the front of their TV instead of trying to put them on the trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hollywood does have a fat tire rack that is rated for Trailers but it is on back order for ever. So I went with one they make that  says it is ok for Motorhomes but not trailers. Well  after three months of cross country travel and some pretty rough roads it is holding up just fine. I do inspect the welds and I have added a couple ratchet straps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/6/2021 at 5:15 PM, dennisvr said:

Depends on the amount you're willing to spend However, I rode through Texas to Utah using my road bike and TT with a Kuat N 2.0 and it performed flawlessly. I've never tried hitch racks before, and was quite worried about something going out of the blue and I'd have my bikes bounce off across the road in my rear-view mirror, but they were in a secure position throughout the entire trip. I highly recommend it. If I'm being honest I was also considering Thule T2 Pro XT Thule T2 Pro XT when I purchased Kuat NV 2.0. Kuat NV 2.0 however, they were out of stock every time I looked.