Rogue Antibodies Involved in Nearly One Fifth of COVID Deaths

New Peer reviewed report adds a lot to our knowledge of how COVID kills and permanently damages organs and systems. (Long Term COVID.)

Excerpt:

"Self-targeting antibodies attack part of the immune system that plays a key role in fighting infection

Antibodies that turn against elements of our own immune defences are a key driver of severe illness and death following SARS-CoV-2 infection in some people, according to a large international study. These rogue antibodies, known as autoantibodies, are also present in a small proportion of healthy, uninfected individuals—and their prevalence increases with age, which may help to explain why elderly people are at higher risk of severe COVID-19.

The findings, published on 19 August in Science Immunology, provide robust evidence to support an observation made by the same research team last October. Led by immunologist Jean-Laurent Casanova at the Rockefeller University in New York City, the researchers found that around 10% of people with severe COVID-19 had autoantibodies that attack and block type 1 interferons, protein molecules in the blood that have a critical role in fighting off viral infections.

“The initial report from last year was probably one of the most important papers in the pandemic,” says Aaron Ring, an immunologist at the Yale School of Medicine in New Haven, Connecticut, who was not involved in this work. “What they’ve done in this new study is really dig down to see just how common these antibodies are across the general population—and it turns out they’re astonishingly prevalent.”

The international research team focused on detecting autoantibodies that could neutralize lower, more physiologically relevant concentrations of interferons. They studied 3,595 patients from 38 countries with critical COVID-19, meaning that the individuals were ill enough to be admitted to an intensive-care unit. Overall, 13.6% of these patients possessed autoantibodies, with the proportion ranging from 9.6% of those below the age of 40, up to 21% of those over 80. Autoantibodies were also present in 18% of people who had died of the disease."

Source:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/rogue-antibodies-involved-in-nearly-one-fifth-of-covid-deaths1/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=week-in-science&utm_content=link&utm_term=2021-09-03_top-stories&spMailingID=70581986&spUserID=NTAzMDg3NDk0MDIzS0&spJobID=2200485494&spReportId=MjIwMDQ4NTQ5NAS2

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Interesting. Just another reason to do your best by getting vaccinated and following protocols that have proven to prevent the transition. I’m in a state now that has a 30ish% vaccination rate. I’m the one of the handful of people wearing a mask in a MOJOR chain grocery store. I’m sure they know  that I’m from out of town. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

We see 100% masked in the Peterson Space Force Base Commissary and Base Exchange. And about 60/40 or 60% unmasked in the local civilian stores. That may change soon if the death rate continues to rise.

We are masked in all indoor places and keep six feet when walking the dog at the dog park. My dog is not vaccinated (duh!) and I keep her close on "Heel" so she does not catch it from another dog. She's 13 and healthy. Today is our 49th Anniversary. We are home and enjoying each other's company. Not out in any crowds.:D

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We just rebooked our trip to New England to avoid the Deep South.  With vaccination rates under 40% and the recent storm damage, we just decided that the risk was not worth it.  We are taking a more northern route and will only be doing overnights through LA and AR.  I feel bad for the folks along I 10, but we are just not comfortable going through their and Alabama right now.

Here in Houston folks are still wearing masks and maintaining a respectable distance.  But in the last week the numbers of masked people is beginning to fall.

Have masks, Will Travel!  (And keep my distance, etc. etc.)

Thanks! Jim.

Smart re-routing Bob.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998