2015 Sportchassis RHA350. Should I buy one to haul my 22k lb 5th wheel?

Dbl0svn

The M2-106 chassis is well developed, and has a good reputation. The horsepower/torque available may be disappointing with 22k behind you, but if you can handle that, then go for it. Personally, I'd keep my eyes out for a 112 model, with more displacement, more horsepower and torque. A 112 would only be on my radar if I needed 4 doors, otherwise, look to full on HDTs.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

10 hours ago, noteven said:

Dumb question but what gets put inta a “5th wheel” trailer to get it to weigh 22,000 lbs, 11 tons, 10,000kg, 10 tonnes? 

To be a little facetious, but actually accurate - quality. Our Newmar has a substantial I-beam frame, hardwood cabinets, heavy duty running gear, etc. etc., making for 20,000# for only 37'. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

3 hours ago, Dbl0svn said:

Are there any problems with the 2015 Sportchassis RHA350's that I should look out for. Thanks

Who are you buying from and will you receive any service records. I have a 2015 Sports Chassis which was built in the spring of 2014 with the Cummins 8.9L engine.  About 20,000 miles,the catalytic material failed like in the similar ages of Dodge Cummins powered pickups. Another warranty repair was replacement of the EGR  cooler which was replaced with old design cooler which didn't last long. but everything now has been going fine. If possible verify the engine software updates are current, The biggest factor Darryl addressed "Power" the automatic transmission is 6 speed is limited in getting a good match to RPM. 

I'm pulling 20,000# and glad I have the MDT. Your profile picture shows what appears to be a HDT Volvo. I looked at a HDT once but wife vetoed that very quickly when she tried to climb in.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Thank you everyone.  My wife is getting older and is having some difficulty with climbing the steps into the HDT.  Having owned an HDT, I do agree with the power and the creature comforts of the cabs.  I saw a 2015 Sportchassis at a dealership and thought it may be a good alternative.  I know that I will end up giving up power and performance and a nice fully equipped cab......... hmmmmm, Why did I get married?  

So for now I am looking at a Sportchassis and all of your experience with these trucks is invaluable for me.  Thanks! 

Edited by Dbl0svn

10 hours ago, noteven said:

Thanks Jay - here I am thinking my old Carriage is a bit of a tub of lard at 18,000 lbs 🤣

The original Carriages were superior products and well built. That means they'll be beefier, as in real steel in the frames, etc., as you already know. Jay

On 8/29/2021 at 8:25 PM, noteven said:

Dumb question but what gets put inta a “5th wheel” trailer to get it to weigh 22,000 lbs, 11 tons, 10,000kg, 10 tonnes? 

Motorcycles.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 8/29/2021 at 6:25 PM, noteven said:

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Motorcycles.

Now we are talkin' "essential weight"...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 8/29/2021 at 6:25 PM, noteven said:

In my case 42' enclosed car trailer with living quarters.  Depending on the car 21K+ 

I'm using a 2008 Sportchassis with the 8.3 Cummins ISC.  Super stable and comfortable but towing in the Colorado mountains I'd really like more power.  No issues on flat or rolling terrain but the grades are annoying.  To be fair, I'm a drag race sort of car guy so in my opinion my street car that runs 10s at altitude needs more power.....   

On 8/29/2021 at 7:25 PM, noteven said:

On 8/29/2021 at 7:57 PM, noteven said:

Thanks Jay - here I am thinking my old Carriage is a bit of a tub of lard at 18,000 lbs 🤣

When we had our Carrilite 36MAX1 It weighed in at 18000+... and had 4500lb pin weight.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 9 months later...

as to hdt. are any of the older style narrow cab long hoods still around? i like that style were you just have to lean to the rt and hand crank the window. only down side is all the chrome to take care of. but it just makes it look so clean and i believe the best looking of any big rig.

if not then i guess i will stick to the ping-pong hoods of a mdt. just need a long frame unit.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/29/2021 at 5:51 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

The M2-106 chassis is well developed, and has a good reputation. The horsepower/torque available may be disappointing with 22k behind you, but if you can handle that, then go for it. Personally, I'd keep my eyes out for a 112 model, with more displacement, more horsepower and torque. A 112 would only be on my radar if I needed 4 doors, otherwise, look to full on HDTs.

What if the weight behind you was closer to 15k? Would the 106 be good or would the 112 be significantly better?