handicapped stairs

Den

New here and to full time.  We are just getting started.  One issue is that being handicapped (Right leg does not work much, left leg is kinda weak and I am big guy) I cannot get up the steps to the 5th wheel.  I need either shorter stairs (from stair to stair) or I need a good rail that I can lean on.  I don't need a lift.  It needs to go  up 40 in.  It must also be easy to set up and to move around.  Anyone have any ideas?  

Would love any help.  We have a couple ideas how to make something but the shops we talked to said it would be like $3500.00.  

Thanks for reading

There are some new versions of RV steps that have come out recently which are much improved from the past so they may be helpful. 

A1Z5Xj-ky2L._AC_UL320_SR320,320_.jpg

I found a version of these by Mor/Ryde in both 3 and 4 step versions on Amazon. There are also very similar steps now available from Lippert Components also in 3 & 4 step versions from Amazon. These steps both fold up inside of the entry door and are then closed inside. Another alternative might be something like these steps from Stromberg Carlson.

51s2xDlIfxL._AC_SS450_.jpg

There are also several versions of handrails that attach to the side of the RV which might be helpful. We have a folding handrail on the side of our RV that is quite helpful. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

what he says he needs is steps with a rise of 4-5'' instead of 7''.  That would mean, with a total rise from ground to rv floor of around 40'' he would need 8 steps with a longer run (meaning the first step has to be farther away from the rv) to allow for the proper size tread. The only stair company that might be able to provide these might be someone like GlowStep Revolution and his requirement might mean custom built. I know there are other rv stair and step makers but they are permanent or semi-permanent.  These are safe and easy to climb but take lots of time to set-up and take down. Wish i could remember their name.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

"I don't need a lift"........(but) - "It must be easy to set up and move around".  ??

The stairs Kirk indicated are good options - for *stairs*.

Maybe a lift is out of the question - not sure what your statement (quoted above) means??

There are permanent lifts - Ex: Google - "Burr Lift" - also a new on the market intended for RVs -  *movable* "stand-up" lift which can be seen on the Virginia Stairlift Co.  - http://www.VA-StairLift-company.com - go to the "New Product" - "Motor Step" - pic shown on the web site.  The cost for either of these items is in the ballpark cost of whatever the  solution is ($) you researched.

Caveat: "Motor Step" is Mfg in the UK - sold in the US & other countries. Unfortunately, Covid has slowed production - the only US seller (the link)  has waiting lists...😕 

Google is your friend - good luck with the dilemma!

Edited by Pappy Yokum

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

Could you use a ramp instead of stairs? Those are easier to come by since they are made for use by older dogs.

Linda

Here's two more - including one for Linda's ramp suggestion...(but for humans -  dog ramps are usually too steep for human mobility & weight issues):

Google:  "RV deck with ramp"

That will take you to 2 excellent possibilities...

"EZ-ACCESS FORTRESS" - guess fortress is the key word - sure looks that way.  However the deck does have stairs....but since they are to the side (rather than front) "modified" stairs w/ shorter rise might be possible.

"Roll-A-Ramp" (from - Mobility Products and Electric Bike) - the deck has a ramp - also to the side rather than in front.

Both of those have railings which appear *very* substantial.

*** ON EDIT (researching lots of same for wife - with bad knee)....

Checking on the "EZ-ACCESS FORTRESS" - impressive!  Price is $800. vs $2300. for "Roll-A-Ramp".  Click the four step model - if deck is adjusted higher it would = a 5th step.  Meets OSHA stds. - Can be used as left or right side, etc. The site has a video.  See link below.

Want a ramp for it? - HF has an aluminum, 2 section (6' each) ramp which can be joined together -or- separately with a support (you make) in the middle for a 12' ramp -  (30" wide (doubled) or 15" wide (singled).  Cost = $100.

http://www.discountramps.com/loading-dock/stair-system/p/FOR2742/

Edited by Pappy Yokum

I think a ramp is out of the question for the high door entrance to a 5th wheel.  Ramps need a gentle slope so you'd have to have a very long one which wouldn't be easy to manage putting in and out.  

https://handiramp.com/blog/what-length-ramp-should-i-order-for-3-stairs/

There are portable aluminum stairs available that fold down.  I'd advise a hand rail for safety and ease of getting up.

https://rv-co.com/free-standing-steps.html

You also might want to consider getting a travel trailer.  They are much lower to the ground.  

Good luck!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

15 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

I think a ramp is out of the question for the high door entrance to a 5th wheel.  Ramps need a gentle slope so you'd have to have a very long one which wouldn't be easy to manage putting in and out.  

https://handiramp.com/blog/what-length-ramp-should-i-order-for-3-stairs/

There are portable aluminum stairs available that fold down.  I'd advise a hand rail for safety and ease of getting up.

https://rv-co.com/free-standing-steps.html

You also might want to consider getting a travel trailer.  They are much lower to the ground.  

Good luck!!

Gypsies - SEE EDIT to my post.

Currently using the HF ramps (singled) for a very gentle slope to one step below the "home made" entry deck (and door height) for my 5th wheel which is forty inches (40").  Works OK, but - with exception of the ramps - not portable.

You are correct in re the The TT.   However -All- the *options*  are preferable (in cost) to selling/trading  what one has & purchasing a replacement RV..😕

There are some very heavy duty folding ramps that we used when our new house in Louisiana was being built and we were living in the 28'Sunnybrook. Our oldest pup had real issues getting up the RV steps as he had never been fulltime with us. So I found these ramps at a pawn shop and they worked great. Here are two pics of them:

F4tCj78l.jpg

And this:

r1tSc0ml.jpg

II had it resting on the top step so my pup only had the step into the rig to which was fine. This ramp folded in half and then half again so it was smallish to carry, a bit heavy but my 5'2" wife could carry it a short way so not too bad.

My older pup Skylar died so I sold the ramps when we moved to Colorado. They were able to support my then 245 pound weight (and my 80 pound dog without feeling shaky at all and they were designed for wheelchair use.  ( I lost down to 203 pounds since moving here:)) Sorry I can't give the name or model but they are out there. It had handles on the side once folded held it closed for carry. Very simple and as you can see long enough to not be too much angle for using it.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...