Mobley connect?

bigjim

I know things fail but mine has been flawless since I got in in Mar. 2017.  I have been trying to figure out if it is just a tower signal issue that would be temporary. Almost 3 hours and multiple people on the phone with no resolution. I think they sincerely tried to help but the AT&T process really/still sucks. The last person I spoke to was even from the US (S. Carolina) but their accent was more than overseas folks.  I don't have another device to try the sim in unless I can find a friend with one.

I had one that I sent off to someone for shipping charges...otherwise it would be yours.  I upgrade a couple of years ago.

Honestly, you'd be better off replacing with a newer unit anyway.  Save that SIM card of course.  If you do upgrade, you have to get the PUK code from AT&T pretty sure to unlock the SIM to the new device.

Edited by RioRichard

Happy trails,

Rich Kimball   DW-Margaret

Companion: Charley, our Shih-Tzu dog.

When my Connected Car Plan (Mobley) SIM failed, I took the hotspot I was using it in to an AT&T store. The fellow there had no problem with replacing it for me. In fact he replaced it twice since the first one he tried failed to work at all.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I got mine to the AT&T company store yesterday. The guy I worked with seemed pretty knowledgealbe and honest. Tried several different ways to see if it was revive-able but no luck. Tried to locate one in this area in their system but no luck. Suggested a couple of other sources I could try.  I thought I had found a return at a Bestbuy across town but didn't work out. I am going to give it a week to see what I can come up with,t even repair, then I will have to go with something else.  Just really hate to lose the plan.  Obvioulsy search is more difficult with limited wifi accessability and time.

29 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I got mine to the AT&T company store yesterday. The guy I worked with seemed pretty knowledgealbe and honest. Tried several different ways to see if it was revive-able but no luck. Tried to locate one in this area in their system but no luck. Suggested a couple of other sources I could try.  I thought I had found a return at a Bestbuy across town but didn't work out. I am going to give it a week to see what I can come up with,t even repair, then I will have to go with something else.  Just really hate to lose the plan.  Obvioulsy search is more difficult with limited wifi accessability and time.

Just try switching the sim card to something like Bill Joyce has . ( Unite Explore 815S )

Or vermilye ^ ( Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 )

That way you won't lose the plan . 

I'm sure any move like that would more than pay for itself in short order .

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

Just try switching the sim card to something like Bill Joyce has . ( Unite Explore 815S )

Or vermilye ^ ( Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 )

That way you won't lose the plan . 

I'm sure any move like that would more than pay for itself in short order .

Exactly... Our Mobley SIM has been in Netgear hotspots, currently an 815S, for the past two years or so.

Dutch

So from what I understand now and in conjunction with help from you folks the Mobley was always 4G. Next step for me looking in to  repair while still looking for a replacement.  What I really like about it is the portability and until the day it died the reliability.

20 hours ago, bigjim said:

So from what I understand now and in conjunction with help from you folks the Mobley was always 4G. Next step for me looking in to  repair while still looking for a replacement.  What I really like about it is the portability and until the day it died the reliability.

To me, the Mobley is less portable than the Netgear Unite Explore 815S or similar hotspots with their compact size and rechargeable internal battery that fits in a shirt pocket. To be fully portable, the Mobley requires a custom cord with an ODBII plug on one end and either a 12-volt plug or 5/12 volt power supply with a USB plug on the other end. And of course either a 12-volt or 5-volt USB battery pack of some sort. Try sticking that in your shirt pocket.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch

Dutch I would agree that might be less portable but as I have the cables it has been good for me and I am kind of hating change these days.   I am exploring other options but of course it is more complicated since to get on line I have to haul everything out to another location.  There is a public library near but is closed on Sun. and Mon.  You can get a signal from the parking lot but the visuals outside are difficult for me.  Looking at the neatgear option now and anything else that is promising.  Sure is frustrating about the offering where you have to pair up with others to get a reasonable cost.

One of our kind  Escapees members has help me with one they are no longer  using. It appears functional and I put my sim in it.  However I need to sort out how to make it work and be sure there is no issue with billing them as each has an assigned "phone no."   Any guidance  will be appreciated.

Are the phone no's to the sim or the uinit?

Edited by bigjim

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

One of our kind  Escapees members has help me with one they are no longer  using. It appears functional and I put my sim in it.  However I need to sort out how to make it work and be sure there is no issue with billing them as each has an assigned "phone no."   Any guidance  will be appreciated.

The phone number is assigned to the sim card, in my experience. Jay

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

Jay is correct. The phone number is assigned to the SIM.

Dutch

OK, I got the Mobley from a member that was not using it. Also ended up getting a new Sim for a grand total of $5.40 on the Sim.  All is working well except I can not get it to not  turn off. I had a choice of 30 minutes or 2 hours and of course I chose that option.  My old one allowed me an option to not turn off at all. I have some old printout that says when the firmware updates I will have the choice. If I read it right the firmware for now is newer than the one listed is newer than the one from way back when. I don't see anyway to update the firmware.  If I can't fix it to stay on I will still be happy and grateful to the member that gave it to me but sure would be nice to get it set to not turn off.   Any help would be appreciated.