First big trip coming up

cruisenreader

In a week I'm leaving on my first big trip. I've done a couple short weekends, but think my tires need air added. I know all the guys will probably say, just do it but I want to know where I can take my 30 ft motor home to get tire pressure checked and have them topped off. Will a tire shop do this? Do I have to go to an RV dealer? Also where can I get new house batteries installed? There's only 2 and they are not good enough for one night boon docking. I'm thinking 2 GC 6 V batteries for more power( I read up on this). Would an auto parts place have the batteries and be able to properly wire them in? I'm a solo lady just about to retire so some of the tasks are out of my range of knowledge and understanding! Thank you for your help!

I have a Newmar  Bay Star 2903, a gas motorhome- 2014- not quite 30 ft long

Edited by cruisenreader
Additional information

I keep a Viair 12 volt compressor on board and air up my own tires.  It is too much trouble to take the RV somewhere else to get some air.

You did not say size RV you had, so we do not know what tire pressure you might need.  Most tire stores can only air up to 80 psig unless you go to a commercial tire dealer.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

(On edit, Ken we posted almost at the same time thus the similar questions.)

Welcome to the SKPs forums!

Could you add some more info so we can better assist? What kind of RV? A trailer, motor home? Are you towing a car behind if a motorhome?

You're on the right track. Yes you will need a good gauge and compressor on the road and learn to use them. But any tire shop should be able to check pressures and air them up.

The batteries can be done by any decent mechanic but an RV dealer might be your best bet. If you let us know what state you're in most of us can tell you where to go for them.

I know you're excited,I was. We have several ladies here who have RV'd solo so don't hesitatate to ask

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

11 hours ago, cruisenreader said:

In a week I'm leaving on my first big trip.

Welcome to the Escapees RV Club and their forums! We will do all that we are able to help you. 

Tire inflation pressures are important to good handling and also tire wear. It would be good if you and learn to do pressure checks and adding air for yourself for convenience even if you have another place available. While your RV dealer might help they would probably charge you for the service. Some tire shops do air pressure checks free, but check before you go to make sure that they will do so for your RV, which probably has dual tires on the rear. Depending on the valve stems use by your dual tires, it could be either very easy or somewhat difficult to check pressures on them but you would be wise to learn how to check them and to add air when needed. 

Your batteries have several possible answers when it comes to replacing them, and not everyone agrees on what your best choices are. While there are shops that can replace the batteries for you and connect them properly, I'd be pretty cautious about taking it somewhere without knowing more about the shop and the battery choices. 

My suggestion at this point is that you should probably make contact with some experienced RV people who are near you to get better advice. We have a lot of experience and knowledge on these forums, but it is very difficult to give you good advice on batteries without direct knowledge of what batteries you have now and how they have been used and maintained and also how old they are. Looking at your profile, I see that you have a Bay Star Sport 2903, and are in Columbus, OH so perhaps there may be someone on these forums near enough to be able to help you. In the mean time, here are a couple of YouTube videos that may be helpful.

What is the Correct Way to Determine Proper PSI for RV Tires?

RV Tire Inflation Tips

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks 2 Gyps, I missed that! She got her question answered however. Truck stops can help, as already said with airing up.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I think that the problem with getting air help at truck stops is that the tendency will be to check air less often.  I don't know about anyone else, but I check my air every travel day and inspect the tires at stops.  There are few things that can make a bigger mess than tire failure. 

Some RV tasks you can leave to others.  I don't do electrical or plumbing. Air is one of those things you need to learn to do yourself.  Get a compressor if you don't have one as part of the rig.  There are several compressor discussions in this forum for help in that area.  Get a good tire gauge.  Use them regularly.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

• 3 weeks later...

I second the idea of getting a Viair for your MH.  I check my tires constantly.  I have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for when we are driving but I still do the air gauge every time we head out for the day.  I am just not comfortable with the risks that come with low tire pressure.  Having the Viair is just a little bit of security that makes our travel days less stressful.