Reason to sell Tesla??

Vladimir

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Hempstead! Me too! I bought a lot of shares at $350 and right now it is $872.07 after hours! Well done, glad some others got in.

It was at $900 within the last year since I bought it and dropped to ~$700 for a bit and now is on the way up again. Sure beats the bank savings account rates of less than 1% by far.

I believe the analysts, more than a few, who put a price target ~ $1200 will prove out.

Some folks have perpetual sour grapes. So realize more than just me are happy to see someone win and make some big bucks. I sure was happy for Ryno and his EV investment in Nio and I think he is in another EV comp[any too. I missed that despite him telling me about it when it was under $10 bucks and it is way up. Oh well.

To the folks who have to say something negative instead of congratulations I say something equally obvious. You can't sell at  profit unless you first bought. You can't win if you don't play. I also had that person say that they have no proof I had those shares and I say to any of them stop by and I would be happy to show my statements to them. I pay my taxes and in full. so I have nothing to hide at all.

Enjoy and keep on winning. Like I always say, the best revenge is living well. 😉

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 10/18/2021 at 7:28 PM, RV_ said:

Congrats Hempstead! Me too! I bought a lot of shares at $350 and right now it is $872.07 after hours! Well done, glad some others got in.

Wow.. another great day for us.  You got in at a lot cheaper than I did, but, hey, I'm not complaining.  Where I really did well was pot stocks.  They've crashed, for now, but my timing was pretty good ...  for a change.  Not looking forward to the tax bill.

And it's Hemstead, no 'p'  :)

Edited by hemsteadc

Hemstead! Yeah I know. I am happy as long as it stays over $700 which doubled my investment. I made a very large buy that time a year ago and needed it to mature past the short term capital gains tax rates and am now in the catbird seat. I'll pm on that.

I am glad your timing was better than mine for pot stocks and picks. I lost about $30k in the reverse 12:1 split of ACB. You can't win them all. I still am holding my remaining stock from them now 415 shares (1/12th) down from my original 5000 shares. Ouch. I am not concerned with a few thousand more or less either way but am holding that loss for tax deductions from my next large capital gains. So I have not lost anything since I have not sold yet? I think it's a pretty safe bet I have. 😮🙄

I am also very interested in Rivian. Their R1T truck seems amazing and are being sold already! I have got to drive one as, instead of another Model Y for my wife, we may get that truck. It is $10k more but we can afford it - now. ;) It can rock climb stock then cruise down the highway smooth as silk. And still has awesome acceleration and AWD with motors at each wheel.

Rivian will IPO very soon, likely before 2022 according to what I have read on it. I may use my stash waiting for Starlink's IPO for a block of Rivian but it is premature for me to say I am going to buy it. Once I have driven one and/or done a lot more research I may invest in the IPO like I did with Tesla. Or not. I'm not recommending it one way or the other. Their debt as a start up car company is no issue as they are backed by Amazon and other large backers. Unlike others he brought his car to market and it is amazing. As well he beat Tesla to market with a truck as well as talking about making the VAN instead of the SUV to start filling Amazon orders. If he focuses on the truck and Van he has no competition until Tesla comes out with their truck. The Rivian SUV would compete with the Tesla Model X and I don't think it would dominate that market. But a van for families and a version for Amazon and other delivery vehicles with a 500 mile range per charge? No competition in addition to the truck. Remember they are four motor AWD stock no charge over MSRP.

VW is committed and Ford is waking up finally too. But the traditional brands are still saddled with a dealer network that will resist competitive pricing because they make most of their money in the Service departments. Little service for EVs other than wipers and tires.

Exciting times!

Tesla has an "Emissions Testing Mode" I turn it on occasionally. This is really in the software - hilarious!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My big winner was Tilray.  It peaked out at over $200 a couple years ago in a mad buying frenzy, stock was halted a couple times and I got out somewhere around $150.  Round one.  Then I bought more when it hit around $15, a lot more, then timed it out and sold at somewhere around $45.  Now it's in the tank again. 

It takes me quite a while to get a feel for how a stock behaves to be able to time it.  That's not a recommended strategy, but, like the slot machines, sometimes you get lucky. 

All this profit probably just makes up for the losses I took in the dot com bubble of 2001.  Stuff like global crossing, a Canadian lawyer firm, and some music stocks really killed me.  It was a time when people thought all they had to do was buy anything and retire rich.  Yeah, not quite.  If I'd only seen where Amazon and Priceline were going.  Sigh.  

The only real regret I have is selling my house in 2002.  Not the best timing there.

Edited by hemsteadc

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

My big winner was Tilray.  It peaked out at over $200 a couple years ago in a mad buying frenzy, stock was halted a couple times and I got out somewhere around $150.  Round one.  Then I bought more when it hit around $15, a lot more, then timed it out and sold at somewhere around $45.  Now it's in the tank again. 

It takes me quite a while to get a feel for how a stock behaves to be able to time it.  That's not a recommended strategy, but, like the slot machines, sometimes you get lucky. 

All this profit probably just makes up for the losses I took in the dot com bubble of 2001.  Stuff like global crossing, a Canadian lawyer firm, and some music stocks really killed me.  It was a time when people thought all they had to do was buy anything and retire rich.  Yeah, not quite.  If I'd only seen where Amazon and Priceline were going.  Sigh.  

The only real regret I have is selling my house in 2002.  Not the best timing there.

Pot stocks will be doing great once the fed legalizes it and unlocks the banking side. I’ve been in like 6 companies for 3 years. I’ve ridden every wave. It a long term investment as timing the market is impossible. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

34 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Pot stocks will be doing great once the fed legalizes it and unlocks the banking side. I’ve been in like 6 companies for 3 years. I’ve ridden every wave. It a long term investment as timing the market is impossible. 

From legalized Canada, don't expect legalization to buoy up the Canabis stocks like magic. Retail is a hard game to play. My local guy is about half the price of any of the retailers, my own supply is cheaper still.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Rich,

It is now @ $1024 a share! I bought at $350! if it goes up another $25 I will have tripled my money in a year. Hemstead (congrats) has Tesla shares were you in for this one too Rich?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

13 hours ago, RV_ said:

Rich,

It is now @ $1024 a share! I bought at $350! if it goes up another $25 I will have tripled my money in a year. Hemstead (congrats) has Tesla shares were you in for this one too Rich?

We own Tesla but only through the S&P 500 and a few other mutual or ETF funds - happy to hear that you caught a wave and are shooting the curl!

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Holy Moly you bet! (Well we both did) it was up to $1193 today. Mine is long term too. Congrats to you and all of my fellow Tesla investors! 🎢📈

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 10/22/2021 at 3:26 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

From legalized Canada, don't expect legalization to buoy up the Canabis stocks like magic. Retail is a hard game to play. My local guy is about half the price of any of the retailers, my own supply is cheaper still.

Because he is not selling them legally. State taxes are STUPID on weed. Legalizing it helps create a black market.

Edited by rynosback

On 11/1/2021 at 10:57 AM, RV_ said:

Holy Moly you bet! (Well we both did) it was up to $1193 today. Mine is long term too. Congrats to you and all of my fellow Tesla investors! 🎢📈

The pull back is coming, continuing actually.

Edited by rynosback

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Just means the float is less. I thought I heard that he sold to cover taxes. It got a big BUMP from the “Hertz contract” which was bullshit. So as soon as it happened and Elon said that there is not a contract, I called for a retracement. You want a tip of a stock with a TON of growth, NIO. I added another 400 shares at $32 about 30 days ago. 

Edited by rynosback

Really? Sorry guys, Tesla is headed back up! 😉 Lots of folks seem to delight when Tesla has anything they can interpret as bad news. It's at $1140even after hours. I bought at $350.00 even and when it hits $1150.00 again it will have tripled in just 17 months.

I would love nothing better to have it go down to $350.00 again as I'm long like with my first thousand shares I held eight years through a fun roller coaster ride. If it does I will double my shares.

Consider this,Tesla has yet to fully stand up his newest three factories to make the Cybertruck yet. Then Musk has promised an affordable Model 2 for $25k. Then the new Roadster, and the real gem for RVrs the truck/RV Starlink system from Musk's other company that has nothing to do with Tesla stock. It's all Musk, and he has always delivered on what he says he will do whether late or on time. And the Tesla energy division is still in growing fast.

I did get in on Rivian putting the $1000 deposit down on the truck, and buying a large by some standards block of the stock. Like Tesla they won't be making a profit for some time. Unlike Tesla they have a big investor in Amazon, and Amazon will buy all the delivery vans they can make to boot.

Some folks like to get in and out and I hope some of you bought and sold on the post IPO "POP." I'm long. Sure beats .05% to .08% that USAA paid for savings account interest. We just set up for Navy Federal to be our new bank, they pay .25%-.50% interest. Still crap but five to 7 times more interest, and way better cash back rewards for their credit cards. We don't carry balances so cash back and perks are all we look for. My Starlink IPO and second half of Rivian has to sit liquid somewhere.

What a great decade it has been! I hope everyone is doing as well. I'm looking at Xpeng too, and NIO could break loose again. I'm just a bit leery of Chinese trading. I may dip in a toe though.

Safe travels! (and trading)

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Tesla is at $1161.50 after hours today. So it is well past triple what I paid last year for it.

This is about investing which is supposed to be about making money. Why is it, when a company or an individual, like Musk, or even fellow investors, makes money hand over fist, that the snark starts? I know others make great money on other investments too, but not many folks are willing to share their actual investments. Then they complain about this forum being about EV's more than anything. 🤣

We all read the daily news on investment sites and our brokers, many of whom are like tax folks who charge to run turbo tax for folks just using the same old formulas for a 6% gain annually which is fine too. 

For us it is time to spend our kid's inheritance before we are too old to fly to Australia and NZ, and then the orient be that Japan and Korea or China and India, both. We'll see. We sold our house to our son cash and will be moving into whatever ranch we find. They are in Germany for three years so they want to rent this house for income anyway. So lots in flux here, and I am thinking about getting some rentals too if the bull market ends.

Safe Travels and Investing!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 5 weeks later...