Verizon JetPack

I added a Jetpack to my Verizon account about a month ago.

I am approaching my data limit for the JetPack.

Verizon sent me an email saying that when the limit is reached they will slow it down to 600Kbits p[er second.

Have any of you had experience with it and does Verizon actually throttle it down.

... and 600kbps will barely load email.

What's your monthly data allowance? VZW has recently come out with some new plans and you might be able to get a lot more data now (though I'm sure you'll pay for it!). 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I was hoping that they would be a bit lenient. The JetPack has a 30 GB limit. Fortunately we have 2 phones each with 15 GB of hotspot. It would have been a lot more convenient to just use the Jetpack. It is kind of weird that Verizon bases everything on each individual device.  I guess when you have the best coverage you can be a bit arrogant.

1 hour ago, richardbetsey said:

I was hoping that they would be a bit lenient. The JetPack has a 30 GB limit. Fortunately we have 2 phones each with 15 GB of hotspot. It would have been a lot more convenient to just use the Jetpack. It is kind of weird that Verizon bases everything on each individual device.  I guess when you have the best coverage you can be a bit arrogant.

VZW lenient? Not a chance. We had a 30GB plan for a long time, though, and could do anything except stream without coming close to using all of our data. (We now have a grandfathered truly unlimited plan on an 8800 Jet Pack.)

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Like said, they can/WILL throttle you!  I have the 30 gig unlimited on 2 different phones.  I watch the data on each one and have managed to not hit both at their limits very often but it does happen.  What stinx, on weekends, even though we are not near our limits, we still get throttled..... unlimited my arse.  We are in a SnB, not our RV as covid hit we stayed put at our home.  Don't have experience from the camping point of view with internet for a couple of years so take my comments with a grain of salt.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

20 hours ago, richardbetsey said:

Well they don't have the best coverage all over like they use to.   More and more we find AT&T coverage is the best and Verizon and T-Mobile are limited.   I expected T-Mobile to be limited when outside of metro areas, but Verizon didn't use to be so weak.   Verizon targets all of its plans for young, single people who will change phones, etc., every 6 months or so.    And do EVERYTHING on their phones.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

You the first I heard that from.

Last time I stopped at “my” Verizon store when flying south there was 7 of us including the staff in the store and our ages musta added up to 573 years 🤣

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 8/17/2021 at 2:53 PM, richardbetsey said:

"Lenient" suggests a human element is involved. The reality is that a computer database monitoring your data use simply triggers a flag that downgrades your account automatically.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

18 hours ago, noteven said:

Last time I stopped at “my” Verizon store when flying south there was 7 of us including the staff in the store and our ages musta added up to 573 years 🤣

Does this mean the staff was older also?  In my limited experience I have never seen any older staff in a phone store.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:04 AM, Barbaraok said:

Well they don't have the best coverage all over like they use to.   More and more we find AT&T coverage is the best and Verizon and T-Mobile are limited.   I expected T-Mobile to be limited when outside of metro areas, but Verizon didn't use to be so weak.   

The differences between carriers are often so localized and time-of-day dependent that IMO it's difficult to make generalizations.   The Verizon service at my property in coastal TX varies between  10 and 20 Mbps depending on time of day.  Yet a few miles down the road it's consistently up around 100 Mbps.

I agree that VZW and AT&T are the top dogs in the fight, but every once in a while I get surprised by how well my T-Mobile hotspot is working.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Something to note is that Verizon now had 100GB/$55 and 150GB/$80 Jetpack plans for those with unlimited cell phone plans, not just the 15GB (or 30GB for some) plans they had for a the last few years.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

23 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I have read on here some are putting the visible sim card in the jetpack. 

That might work, but you can't spoof a Jetpack into looking like a phone and might get detected and shut down.  The smart ones are using something like a MoFi4500 ($300) and making configuration changes so it looks like a phone to the network.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

5 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

That might work, but you can't spoof a Jetpack into looking like a phone and might get detected and shut down.  The smart ones are using something like a MoFi4500 ($300) and making configuration changes so it looks like a phone to the network.  

Well they say it does work. I have not tried but considering my options. My jetpack is 4g. My phone is 5g capable. I could buy another phone and use hotspot and wifi router. I would not save any money that way due to cost of phone. But the savings would pay for another phone also. Humm!!!

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Hello,

We are transitioning to full time motorhome living.  I'm about 20% computer etc savy.  Does anyone know if we can use the Jetpack as our only internet connection for 2 t.v.s & computer?  We have a jetpack and when we are traveling we have used it for our phones & computer but it seems we will be relying on the jetpack for everything in the motorhome.  Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

47 minutes ago, rocci and carol said:

Hello,

We are transitioning to full time motorhome living.  I'm about 20% computer etc savy.  Does anyone know if we can use the Jetpack as our only internet connection for 2 t.v.s & computer?  We have a jetpack and when we are traveling we have used it for our phones & computer but it seems we will be relying on the jetpack for everything in the motorhome.  Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

It depends on which data plan you get. Streaming TV and movies takes a lot of data (about 2GB/hour for HD). Doing all the other internet stuff doesn't use nearly as much. The device will work fine. We have a Verizon JePack 8800L with an unlimited data plan. It has been our only internet connection for the TV, two laptops, a wireless printer, two Kindles, two iPads, two Echo devices, and the phones when they're on WiFi.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

5 hours ago, rocci and carol said:

Hello,

We are transitioning to full time motorhome living.  I'm about 20% computer etc savy.  Does anyone know if we can use the Jetpack as our only internet connection for 2 t.v.s & computer?  

It all depends on what specific plan the Jetpack is using.  Most Verizon Jetpacks are on plans with ~15-25GB/mo of high speed data.  Beyond that allowance they drop to 3G speeds.  That's not a lot of data if you're planning on streaming TV and using laptops.  You might want to check the specifics of your plan.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels