What is happening in health care now?

We recently returned to home-base from a month on the road because of a series of doctor's appointments which has made me wonder what others are experiencing. Between the two of us in the past 2 weeks there was a visit to an orthopedic surgeon, a pulmonologist, and a general practitioner. In all three visits things seem to have mostly returned to near normal, with masks and social distancing still required in the waiting areas and restrictions on who can accompany the patient in the waiting area. Most services seem to be pretty much back to normal. 

This experience leads me to wonder what others are seeing in the areas where you are now and also to wonder if access to medical facilities is more difficult when you are traveling?  What has your recent experience been?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My Cancer Center, at Rockford IL, no longer takes your temperature when you enter the door. Other wise things remain the same.

Conversations are a little more grim with anti-vacine people till working many critical medical jobs. Continued wearing a mask is needed as one fellow had lost 3 family members and a best friend due to the Covid-19.

My wife medical issues are presently slowed down because many doctor are taking extended family vacations.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

The local hospital we use near our Adirondack cottage site has just mandated vaccinations for all employees by October 1st. 85% of the staff are currently vaccinated. When I was there a few weeks ago, they were still doing the temperature checks on entry. I'll be going back again for a couple of procedures in 10 days, and it'll be interesting to see if that has changed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

The health care group we use is all over the place. At the GP's office they don't take temps but only about 30% of the waiting room seats are available. At the specialty clinics all on the same group (Pain Management, Ortho, etc.) they have this gadget that you look at and it verifies you have a mask on and what your temp is. They have NO seats in the waiting areas turned around or blocked off. 

Makes no sense at all to me as it is all the same organization but what do I know?

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 hours ago, LindaH said:

My doctor's office is no longer taking temperatures before entering the waiting area.  I have been asked if I've had contact with anyone with COVID (no).  Masks are required at all times.

That's the same here in Michigan , at least in my doctor's office . 

Goes around , comes around .

Elective surgery here in Central Oregon's one and only hospital system is virtually non existent due to covid.  I have been on the wait list for 18 months now for knee replacement.  Ortho doctors will perform them at a surgery center in Bend as an outpatient but in my case anesthesiologist insists on Inpatient so I continue to wait!  

Cancer treatment (infusion) still continues to take temp and require masks.  Oregon just went back to masks in ALL indoor public places today!

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

9 hours ago, lenp said:

Elective surgery here in Central Oregon's one and only hospital system is virtually non existent due to covid. 

I believe that has become the case here in TX as well, but am not sure. I do know that some elective surgeries had been available again this past spring, but the latest here is that at least some hospitals have suspended them again due to the current surge.

Gov. Greg Abbott asks Texas hospitals to delay nonessential procedures as COVID-19 patients strain capacity

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I believe that has become the case here in TX as well, but am not sure. I do know that some elective surgeries had been available again this past spring, but the latest here is that at least some hospitals have suspended them again due to the current surge.

Gov. Greg Abbott asks Texas hospitals to delay nonessential procedures as COVID-19 patients strain capacity

A Texas hospital is so overwhelmed with COVID-19 cases that a man shot six times has waited a week for surgery (msn.com)

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

10 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I truly think it is where in Texas you are. For example, Travis county (Austin) has declared an emergency while Williamson county just to the north is "business as usual" according to two neighbors that are nurses in two different Williamson county medical groups. 

Large metro area have hospitals capable of providing care needed for serious COVID patients.  Small county areas don’t, so the airlift patients to get better care and a chance to live.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Our facilities are no longer taking temperatures but still requiring masks with some having social distancing. All have questionnaires about your exposure but you get to skip a bunch of questions if you are fully vaccinated. And I got to remove my mask for my GP to look down my throat and for the dentist to remove a broken tooth. And Dave gets to sit in the waiting room, which is good during heat advisories, but he has to answer the questions, too.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Has anyone used one of the walk-in clinics for injury or illness? 

My son did recently and he was not only not pleased with the treatment but they would not take his insurance which is through his employer and should be good just about anywhere. 

If anyone is traveling and needs to find a physician I'd recommend you use www.healthgrades.com/find-a-doctor.  All you do in enter the specialty and city you are in.  A list of all physicians in the area comes up along with patient reviews, and also what insurance they carry as well as if they are taking new patients.  It also provides a list of the physician's other specialties and services they are board certified in.  Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Has anyone used one of the walk-in clinics for injury or illness? 

My wife and I have used walk-in "Urgent Care" facilities on several occasions for minor injuries and infections from time to time. Our Medicare Advantage plan pays either directly or by reimbursement anywhere in the US. So far, we've not used one that didn't accept our insurance. The VA is now paying for service at selected urgent care facilities as well...

Dutch

We are healthy as far as required appointments. My wife went in for a dental cleaning and asked of the staff there was vaccinated as we are in a COVID hotspot for Colorado, El Paso County. The front  desk lady said they were not required to disclose that. My wife said we are not required to use this clinic with that answer either and she left and found another dentist office that does answer that question. As ex medical that kind of attitude from any branch of medicine dental or medical I find disheartening. From a reality perspective several states are out of beds and their deaths are rising rapidly among all age groups.

We never stopped wearing a mask in public in stores and glad we did wear them. We have canceled all our medical appointments as none are emergent. We have no underlying conditions except for mechanical issues with my military spinal issues and hand issues.

So our choice is to stay home except for grocery store trips.

Excessive? Nope because folks are lying about being vaccinated and even ordering fake cards.

Excerpt from today's news:

"Thousands Of Fake Vaccine Cards Seized On Way To New Orleans From China: Feds

Buying, selling or using a counterfeit COVID-19 vaccination card that features an official government agency seal can result in a fine and up to five years in prison.

Thousands of counterfeit COVID-19 vaccination cards have been seized by federal officials in Memphis, Tennessee, over the last year, according to U.S. border patrol officials, as the Senate’s top Democrat urges a broader federal crackdown on the fake cards.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has reported confiscating 3,017 of the fraudulent paper cards from 121 shipments that had arrived at a Memphis port from China as of Friday.

The cards, which authorities said were destined for New Orleans, feature the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) logo in the upper right corner and are blank to allow the recipient to fill in their name, birthdate, and information about the vaccine they are alleging to have received. But there are a number of typos and unfinished words, and some of the Spanish verbiage on the back is misspelled, the CBP said in a release.

Buying, selling or using a fake vaccination card that features an official government agency seal ― like that of the CDC or the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) ― can result in a fine and up to five years in prison, the CBP said.

“If you do not wish to receive a vaccine, that is your decision. But don’t order a counterfeit, waste my officer’s time, break the law, and misrepresent yourself,” Michael Neipert, Area Port Director of Memphis, said in a statement. “When you order a fake vaxx card, you are using my officers time as they also seize fentanyl and methamphetamines.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cbp-seize-fake-vaccination-cards-china_n_6119165fe4b0454ed70eb01c

Fact, people are again dying in large numbers especially in states where they resist good pandemic hygiene. I have luckily not lost our two 90 y/o plus aunts in Florida and Texas, nor our son and grand-kids in Louisiana, or all the nieces, nephews, sister in laws and cousins in Florida.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

My wife and I have used walk-in "Urgent Care" facilities on several occasions for minor injuries and infections from time to time.

What I was wondering was about the past 5 or 6 months? We have used them also numerous times over the years but the most recent was at least 18 months ago. 

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

What I was wondering was about the past 5 or 6 months? We have used them also numerous times over the years but the most recent was at least 18 months ago. 

My wife visited one a couple of months ago for a possible broken bone in her foot. The x-ray was negative fortunately, and a simple wrap and a few days off it fixed the problem. The COVID restrictions were just the usual mask rules and distancing in the waiting area.

Dutch