Windows 10: Microsoft just revealed another Print Spooler bug

RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I made a decision for when this HP computer or HD dies, I'm switching to Linux but unsure of which version.

Dealing with Windows 10 is becoming uncomfortable to me. Just last night my screen went black, I could not turn off the computer with the button on the front, i had to unplug the computer to shut it down. 😠 It did start normally with the front button though.

This and other problems have arose since the 4 updates Wednesday.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray which Linux versions have you tried?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

So I have a chromebook that is beyond the auto-update expiration date and they tell me I can switch to Linux but I did not have a clue there are multiple choices. I litteraly only the the most basic of of functions and want as small a learning curve and maintainance issue as possible. So what is you suggestions please.

PS  I only used this chrome book for one function and always as a guest. As far as I know I don't have anything saved on it.

Jim,

For a great desktop very similar to Windows I prefer Linux Mint with Cinnamon.I have read a lot of Linux hardliners don't like it because it is more windows like and does not require knowing much to start.

https://linuxmint.com/

Do not install make a free live DVD if you have a burner optical drive or do a flash drive. Pre-made is available for low cost.

If you are too new to making live CDs you can just order it already made for you:

(these are examples - I am not recommending them, as I have not bought from these vendors but they should be fine with eBay guarantees)

Bootable Flash drive for $9.95: Linux Mint Cinnamon flash drive

Live DVD and installation Media select Cinnamon edition: Linux Mint 20.2 Ulyana (all editions) Live DVD & Installation Media

If a "live" CD/drive is unfamiliar that simply means you can boot into it when inserted at boot and it runs in RAM essentially so it does not leave anything on your hard drive. If you save files to the flash drive or a second removable flash drive nothing is written to your computer at first.

To make your computer boot from a disk if it has an optical drive, or a USB drive you have to change the boot settings. Easily done but that has to be done first or no bootable disk or drive will work.

Use it that way before you commit to an installation. It will run a bit slower from the live disk and a bit better with a USB flash drive version. Much faster installed.

So for very little or nothing you can try before you install easily.Any questions just ask.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998