Australian mathematician discovers applied geometry engraved on 3,700-year-old tablet

RV_

Old Babylonian tablet likely used for surveying uses Pythagorean triples at least 1,000 years before Pythagoras.

Excerpt:

Applied geometry etched into a 3,700-year-old Babylonian clay tablet

Geometry engravings found on Old Babylonian tablet force re-evaluation of other tablets of the era, with Australian scientist saying it shows the ‘society has reached a particular level of mathematical sophistication’. Photograph: UNSW Sydney

An Australian mathematician has discovered what may be the oldest known example of applied geometry, on a 3,700-year-old Babylonian clay tablet.

Known as Si.427, the tablet bears a field plan measuring the boundaries of some land.

That tablet, Plimpton 322, described right-angle triangles using Pythagorean triples: three whole numbers in which the sum of the squares of the first two equals the square of the third – for example, 32 + 42 = 52.

“You don’t just accidentally come up with trigonometry, you’re usually doing something practical,” Mansfield said. Plimpton 322 set him on a quest to find other tablets from the same period that contained Pythagorean triples, eventually leading him to Si.427.

“Si.427 is about a piece of land that’s being sold,” Mansfield said. In the cuneiform script, with its characteristic wedge-shaped indentations, the tablet describes a field containing marshy areas, as well as a threshing floor and nearby tower.

The rectangles depicting the field have opposite sides of equal length, suggesting surveyors of that time period had devised a way to create perpendicular lines more accurately than before, according to Mansfield.

“Much like we would today, you’ve got private individuals trying to figure out where their land boundaries are, and the surveyor comes out but instead of using a piece of GPS equipment, they use Pythagorean triples.”

Though Plimpton 322 and Si.427 both use Pythagorean triples, they predate the Greek mathematician Pythagoras by more than 1,000 years."

More here in the full article:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/aug/05/australian-mathematician-discovers-applied-geometry-engraved-on-3700-year-old-tablet?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I was surprised to see this too Noteven. "Pythagorean triples, they predate the Greek mathematician Pythagoras by more than 1,000 years."

Wow!

Pat, I guess not!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Linda,

Yeppers! I have been studying ancient histories and there is corroborating evidence everywhere once you know where to look. I spent seven years in Europe and had I read these first I would have been all over places I visited but didn't know to see like the cathedral in Utrecht Netherlands where I was within a few miles many times supporting a detachment just outside of Amsterdam. I also would have done Scotland instead of just Manchester England. And several places in France. Most of which are not on most tourist radar screens. You'll see.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

As well, worldwide, governments are admitting UFOs are and have been real. Pointing to possible quantum mechanics at play. I hope I can live at least another 21 years to 90. I have a feeling these both will be resolved by then. I would not predict how just would like to be a witness to first contact. Or go for a ride. NO spoilers from me.

THe reason his books are so on track is his background:

About David S Brody

David S. Brody is a Boston Globe bestselling fictionwriter named Boston’s “Best Local Author” by theBoston Phoenix newspaper.

A graduate of Tufts University and Georgetown Law School, he is a former Director of the New England Antiquities Research Association (NEARA) and is an avid researcher in the subject of pre-Columbian exploration of America. He has appeared as a guest expert on documentaries airing on History Channel, Travel Channel, PBS and Discovery Channel.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Was her show about the Roman Soldier's graffiti on Hadrian's wall? That's what I meant. Fascinating finds lately.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Ya whenever I get all proud of some tremendous modern day journey I have done in an air conditioned RV outfit I have a look at the image of the inscription left by link Sir Alexander Mackenzie in 1793.

see: Sir Alexander Mackenzie Provincial Park

There is an archeological site an hour south of my summer camp where Clovis artifacts have been found, as well as later indigenous peoples’ artifacts. 

The Lost City museum in Overton, NV is an interesting visit.  People living where they weren’t know to be. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

14 minutes ago, noteven said:

The Lost City museum in Overton, NV is an interesting visit.

I have completely missed that museum and need to look into changing that the next time that we travel I-15.  Lost City Museum

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI