Current forum ranking

6 minutes ago, gypsydan said:

What does the “current ranking” mean at top of the profile page?  How does it change?

It is simply a new "add-on" that tracks your number of posts, since the recent software update. Post more and your "rank" increases. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

18 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Childish stuff!  Who cares?

1 hour ago, markandkim said:

2nd

Almost every other forum that I frequent has some version of this. I don't care if it is a photography forum, a truck forum, a disc golf forum, etc. they likely utilize some type of counter and "ranking" system.  The only reason that this is getting any attention at all is that it is a recent change, and folks react to change. 

This forum has presented post counts for as long as I have been on it. Do those bother you as well??

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

25 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Almost every other forum that I frequent has some version of this. I don't care if it is a photography forum, a truck forum, a disc golf forum, etc. they likely utilize some type of counter and "ranking" system.  The only reason that this is getting any attention at all is that it is a recent change, and folks react to change. 

This forum has presented post counts for as long as I have been on it. Do those bother you as well??

I think the bigger "bother" in this instance, is likely the lack of inclusion of the previous posting history before the update was made. You for instance, have made 1,303 posts since 2008, yet the new "badge" ranks you as an "apprentice". I see no point in having both the actual post counts and these misleading badges displayed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I think the bigger "bother" in this instance, is likely the lack of inclusion of the previous posting history before the update was made. You for instance, have made 1,303 posts since 2008, yet the new "badge" ranks you as an "apprentice". I see no point in having both the actual post counts and these misleading badges displayed.

And it doesn't bother me one iota.  Any more than the reduction of post counts that has occurred several times with software updates does.  It simply doesn't matter. It becomes very clear, very quickly who the active posters on this site are, with or without badges. Look at the few folks that have reached "collaborator" level at this time. None of them come as a surprise to me.  

Research has shown that presenting statistics, accruing points, and earning ranks or levels on social media sites increases user engagement. It doesn't occur with every user, and especially in the case of entrenched users can create the kind of backlash that we are seeing from a few on this site. But overall, across the board, it is likely to result in more posts and a sense of accomplishment or achievement for some. 

These platforms don't create or implement these changes in a vacuum. There is a reason for them...

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

5 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

And it doesn't bother me one iota.  Any more than the reduction of post counts that has occurred several times with software updates does.  It simply doesn't matter. It becomes very clear, very quickly who the active posters on this site are, with or without badges. Look at the few folks that have reached "collaborator" level at this time. None of them come as a surprise to me.  

Research has shown that presenting statistics, accruing points, and earning ranks or levels on social media sites increases user engagement. It doesn't occur with every user, and especially in the case of entrenched users can create the kind of backlash that we are seeing from a few on this site. But overall, across the board, it is likely to result in more posts and a sense of accomplishment or achievement for some. 

These platforms don't create or implement these changes in a vacuum. There is a reason for them...

It doesn't bother me either, I'm just stating what I seem to be seeing in the various posts against the new feature. I do feel it's childish and an unnecessary addition to the existing post counts, but it's easy enough to ignore it. The reason for this new feature is obvious since Invision Community is a for profit company that charges for their software and services.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

gypsydan asked a simple and insightful question: "What does the “current ranking” mean at top of the profile page?"

Is it solely based on the number of posts - No.
 How many forum user's consider the badge addition an improvement?  None, so far.
 Does the Escapees company gain anything from from the inclusion of these badges.  Not that I'm aware of.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

I pay no attention to either the post count or the ranking.  However, if both are going to be part of the forum, you'd think that they would at least match.

The forum software isn't an Escapees in-house software -- it's provided by a third party.  The Escapees IT department may be able to make changes to eliminate the post count and/or the ranking, but if so, I suspect they have other more pressing matters to deal with.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• Kirk W locked this topic