tires

I purchased new tires for my 40 foot rig last September and this has happened 2-3 times. While sitting idle, once in a while my tires will loose pressure. The last time it happened, the stem valve on the inside rear tire needed to be replaced.

I just checked pressure this morning (with Tire Minder) and another inside tire on the opposite tire has lost 20 lbs. We have been sitting for 3 weeks. All other tires are at 115 +/- and this tire is reading 99 PSI. Seem odd that it happens and wonder if these long stem valves are susceptible to failure or slow leaks.

Would love some feedback, ideas, suggestions.

Are you using the long valve stems installed by a tire shop, or add on extensions? The ones from a tire shop can leak but very rarely do, while the add on extensions have been known to be a problem in leaking if not checked for tightness on a regular basis. If it is always the same tire it could be some other type of slow leak.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Always have them put in new VALVE STEMS with a  replacement tire. You don't want to run a brand new tire with low pressure and ruin it before it get's any miles on it. There can also be bead issues if you haven't actually broken in the new tires. They need several heat and cooling cycles to relax the rubber and get everything seated well. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

23 minutes ago, lappir said:

Always have them put in new VALVE STEMS with a  replacement tire. You don't want to run a brand new tire with low pressure and ruin it before it get's any miles on it. There can also be bead issues if you haven't actually broken in the new tires. They need several heat and cooling cycles to relax the rubber and get everything seated well. 

Rod

Thanks Rod,

What is bizarre (in my opinion) is why, while sitting idle for a few weeks it suddenly starts leaking. Oh well, will get it replaced but those extenders are presumably more susceptible? Bought the tires last September in Maine, traveled across the country, currently in Seattle.

Thoughts, as to "why all of a sudden"

OH, as my wife and I say, "there is always, something." 

Weak batteries in the TPMS transmitters will send a false reading(virtually always low). Double check with a known manual digital gauge before getting excited.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 8/2/2021 at 3:04 PM, Tim and Peggy said:

Thanks Rod,

What is bizarre (in my opinion) is why, while sitting idle for a few weeks it suddenly starts leaking. Oh well, will get it replaced but those extenders are presumably more susceptible? Bought the tires last September in Maine, traveled across the country, currently in Seattle.

Thoughts, as to "why all of a sudden"

OH, as my wife and I say, "there is always, something." 

Good morning -

I went to a tire place yesterday and they will check the tire next week. But what I found interesting is that they will not install extenders. They said they are prone to fail and their logic is pretty sound. I am wondering if you have also heard people saying that.

I called a friend and asked him if he had extenders on his inner wheel and he said no. Will check with local Goodyear dealer to get yet "another opinion."

I had the appropriate pressure "Cross Fire" equalizers installed a few years ago. The next time I purchase new duals I will install a new set. I have had trouble free use and it's great to just walk by and see the pressure is good. 

Some tire dealers dislike them, but I'm sold on them. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 minute ago, lappir said:

I had the appropriate pressure "Cross Fire" equalizers installed a few years ago. The next time I purchase new duals I will install a new set. I have had trouble free use and it's great to just walk by and see the pressure is good. 

Some tire dealers dislike them, but I'm sold on them. 

Rod

I've used Cat's Eyes on my rig commercially for many years and perhaps millions of miles. The only failure I've had is when a shop tech broke one. I replace them about every ten years. They've been a tire saver, time saver and stress saver for me. I really like them. Jay

I carry a 6" metal valve extension, If needed I use it then remove it and store in my toolbox until next time.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I carry a 6" metal valve extension, If needed I use it then remove it and store in my toolbox until next time.

so absent any monitoring system, how often do you check pressures? I know that I am over thinking it, but I just spent $4,300 for six new tires last year and don't want to buy new ones...thus the monitoring preference and long stems for inside tire (no more extensions...not reliable

Thanks

15 hours ago, Tim and Peggy said:

so absent any monitoring system, how often do you check pressures? I know that I am over thinking it, but I just spent $4,300 for six new tires last year and don't want to buy new ones...thus the monitoring preference and long stems for inside tire (no more extensions...not reliable

Thanks

I''ve had a TPMS since 2005, I believe in the system. I use that extension to adjust air when necessary, approx.  2X a year when the seasons change from cold to hot and visa versa.

25 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I''ve had a TPMS since 2005, I believe in the system. I use that extension to adjust air when necessary, approx.  2X a year when the seasons change from cold to hot and visa versa.

so you are not "monitoring the pressures" while you are on the road. I use Tire minder which is fine. Probably over-thinking it..ya think?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

We had TPMS, also but we checked tire pressure at least monthly.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 8/6/2021 at 2:36 PM, 2gypsies said:

We had TPMS, also but we checked tire pressure at least monthly.

Yup, I monitor my TPMS but verify air pressures with a digital gauge too. Weak batteries can send erroneous readings.

Tim N Peggy, yes I monitor air pressures and compare temperatures while driving. Absolute temperature is immaterial, it's the comparison of temperatures of all tires that is important.

I do not inflate tires by any chart, I go by the Federal Tire Placard in the vehicle. That's why I only need to adjust tire pressure 2X a year, winter or summer temperatures.

Edited by Ray,IN

23 hours ago, noteven said:

Ray what is a federal tire placard? 

every vehicle  you have has these labels either on the door, door post, or inside near driver seat except travel trailers, they have the labels near the LF corner of the trailer exterior.

Safety Info | Toyo Tires

This label shows the OEM tire size, air pressure required to safely support the vehicle when fully-loaded to GVWR.

Edited by Ray,IN

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I'd like to get some feedback about tire pressures and some advice I recently received from Coach-Net concierge support line .

I have the "TST TPMS" system on the truck and trailer wheels. The truck has the OEM also, but others have told me that the OEM system is slow to react when a leak occurs due to road debris so I have the TST TPMS system on all 4 truck tires + spare as well as all 4 trailer + spare.

First I should mention that the TST TPMS usually reads within 3 PSI of the stick pressure tester. I called TST and the person on the phone said this was normal. The TST has new batteries installed before my trip.

During any given driving travel day, I noted that the temperatures and pressures were nominal (ambient temp and roughly 80 PSI) for the trailer tires in the mornings. Sometimes a little lower, but within 10%.  While driving, the ambient temps were well above 90 degrees and the trailer tire temps would go up to around 100 give or take a few degrees..  I occasionally saw the tire pressures go over 90PSI after 100 or more miles. Oddly, the spare tire on the truck was higher temp than the other truck tires and the trailer spare was close to ambient.  The GVRW is 10000. towed weight was 8350. Axles were aligned prior to trip.

The question is, ( and I should have asked before) what is the appropriate action to take  when the trailer / truck tire pressure increases significantly?  Should I have reduced the pressure back to 80psi? And then refill in the morning when things have cooled off?  Some of the pressure change could have been due to change in altitude.  Stopping during the day to "let things cool off" wasn't an option due to scheduled times to meet people or events.

The TPMS did not alarm for high temp or pressure during the trip. The high temp and pressure were set per instructions in the TST manual.

Part 2:
When I contacted Coach-net concierge support service, I was told not to trust the TST TPMS and should opt for internal TPMS sensors. To me, this was a bold statement considering the cost of both options.

Factual opinions and constructive criticism appreciated.
Thanks!

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

38 minutes ago, franco-bolli said:

Should I have reduced the pressure back to 80psi?

No.If you check with your tire manufacturer you will find that the pressures are cold tire pressures and should not be adjusted for hot tires. Most tires will see about 1psi increase for each 10° of temperature rise, whether in hot weather or cold. That is normal and tire design allows for that. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 8/6/2021 at 1:31 PM, Tim and Peggy said:

so you are not "monitoring the pressures" while you are on the road. I use Tire minder which is fine. Probably over-thinking it..ya think?

Thanks.

TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitor System. It is TST 507 flow-thru sensor brand. I've used a TPMS since 2005, always TST brand.

Edited by Ray,IN

• 1 month later...