Range on Victron Smart shunt

48 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Jay I think you are right about the phone. It is a cheap one. It is brand new though. Walmart special for prepaid verizon. Chromebook sees it good. Just goes to 80% and starts over. 

I didn't actually want to say it, but I know you don't do expensive phones... Lol  Jay

All ways thought expensive phones was a rich mans cup of tea. I always buy cheaper phones. Paid about 90.00 dollars for mine. But back to the smart shunt. Poor bluetooth is a known problem. All over the Victron community. Wished I had went there before buying. One stated you should be able to use the bluetooth dongle and use it. But that is more money for something that is advertised to work. My first Victron product sucks.

I have installed multiple smart shunts in various rigs.  I have never had any connection issues with them.  I can easily connect in a 30-40 foot radius to every one I have ever installed.  I am always connecting with an iPhone though.  It does make a difference where they are installed.  If they are surrounded by metal, they will have a difficult time broadcasting their Bluetooth signal.

Posted (edited)

It is in my generator area on my Teton. Only the chassis steel in the fifth wheel area is there. There is steel there. Go to Victron Community and there are several posts concerning this. Even state they can see inverters and such but not smart shunt unless right close to it.

Edited by GlennWest

Chad, do you remember the bolt size on the shunt? It rather short for multiple lugs. Would like to put a stud in it if I can find one. Maybe cut a bolt and make a stud. Now I put a fuse on each end for connecting lugs. I could get a piece of copper and drill holes but stud easier and less connections.

10 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Chad, do you remember the bolt size on the shunt? It rather short for multiple lugs. Would like to put a stud in it if I can find one. Maybe cut a bolt and make a stud. Now I put a fuse on each end for connecting lugs. I could get a piece of copper and drill holes but stud easier and less connections.

I don't remember and I can't find it in the literature.  I have put a longer bolt in one in the past, but I just took the original to the hardware store with me to size the new one properly.  I don't remember what size it was though.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:11 AM, GlennWest said:

This one is metric. It close to a 3/8".

Hi Glenn - I have a 500A/50mV Smart Shunt in inventory on the projects to do shelf.  The bolts are M10 x 15, 1.5 pitch.  10mm diameter, 15mm thread length, 1.5 thread pitch

Edited by noteven