Michigan in September

jdarwin

Michigan is a big state, with lots of varied outdoor activities.  The best parts in our opinion are up the coast along Lake Michigan, anywhere in the Upper Peninsula, and down the coast of Lake Huron.

Not knowing how much you want to travel each day is another difficult thing to tackle.  Let me tell you the places I'd want to stop and you can go from there.  Ludington, try (Poncho's Pond RV Park).  Traverse City (Holiday Park Campground), Manistique (Manistique Lakeshore Campground), Munising (Pictured Rocks KOA), Newberry (Kritter's Northcountry Campground), Brimley, (Sunrise View RV Park), Alpena (Camper's Cove RV Park), Tawas (Oscoda/Tawas KOA), Port Huron (Port Huron KOA in KImball).  If you want museums, you'll have to search locations by downloading the Pure Michigan Travel Guide.  They won't be printing a new one until sometime in early 2022.

You also should know that weekends fill up real fast until the weather changes and even then people still head out weekends to see the fall colors.  Also, be sure to cover the north as early as possible as you don't want to get caught further north when the early snow arrives.

Best of luck.

Edited by Mr. Camper

I think Mr. Camper has some excellent camping & timing advice.   I would add for things to go see... the Northwest part of Michigan (Emmet County) from the Bridge down to Good Hart.   I would mention places like Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Cross Village, and Good Hart as areas to investigate.   There is an old fort at Mackinaw City of historical interest, St. Ignatius Church (early Mission Church) close to Good Hart, McGulpin Point Museum close to Mackinaw City, and Mill Creek Park.   The colors should be just beginning to 'happen', and the beaches of Lake Michigan gorgeous, but a little 'cool'.   Enjoy!

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

26 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Be sure to visit Sleeping Bear Dunes, National Lakeshore as it is amazing!

A 'MUST' anytime but the Fall season is absolutely awesome with color.  There are two campgrounds - Platte River with electric and dumpstation and waterfill.  (We volunteered there 9 Fall seasons) and D.H. Day - no hookups.  Get a reservation now as it's an extremely popular place.  Nice hiking, scenic drive overlooking the dunes and Lake Michigan, a gentle canoe trip for a couple hours down the Platte River ending at Lake Michigan.  The canoe rental is right across from Platte River campground.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel