Urgent: Why you need to update all your iPhones, iPads, and Macs right now

RV_

Excerpt:

"This is a big one. You need to update them all, and update them all now.

Earlier this week, Apple published iOS 14.7.1, iPadOS 14.7.1, and macOS Big Sur 11.5.1. While this update contains bug fixes, the main part of this update is a security fix for a vulnerability that Apple says "may have been actively exploited."

In other words, the bad guys are already using it.

Here's how Apple describes the vulnerability in relation to iOS and iPadOS:

Available for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 2 and later, iPad 5th generation and later, iPad mini 4 and later, and iPod touch (7th generation)

Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.

Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed with improved memory handling.

CVE-2021-30807: an anonymous researcher

It's unclear if this is the vulnerability used for jailbreaking iOS devices, or whether it is linked to the NSO Group spyware tool hack used to target journalists, activists, and government figures. 

To update your iPhone and iPad, go to Settings > General > Software Update and download and install any available updates.

For macOS, click on the apple in the top-left corner, go to System Preferences, find Software Update and download and install any updates available.

I recommend carrying out these updates as soon as possible.

To get immediate notifications of updates for the iPhone and iPad, I've been using the app iVerify."

Related hotlinks and info here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-you-need-to-urgently-update-all-your-iphones-ipads-and-macs-now/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}&eh={%24CF_emailHash}#comments-show-4c4c1640-86f5-4942-a217-dbee130d7577

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Glad I'm still using Android. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

28 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

You do know that we get automatic alerts from Apple when there is a system update, right?  

Barb,  Android users get automatic alerts when there is system update to.  But many folks choose to not install them for awhile.  I suspect similar behavior from many iPhone users. 

RV could have been more clear about the reason for his post and perhaps you could have been a bit lest defensive 🙂

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Dan, I'm sorry, but this is a long running point of contention between RV and myself regarding the intelligence of Apple users.    And like most Apple users, I don't have updates automatically loaded, but we still get alerts and then we decide whether it is time to upload the update or whether it can wait until we are somewhere with better cell coverage.  

DJW - ?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

7 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Dan, I'm sorry, but this is a long running point of contention between RV and myself regarding the intelligence of Apple users.    And like most Apple users, I don't have updates automatically loaded, but we still get alerts and then we decide whether it is time to upload the update or whether it can wait until we are somewhere with better cell coverage.  

DJW - ?

Barb,

If you have had a long running point of contention that is your biz. There is nothing between us, never was save you post a criticism every time I post vulnerability issues with Apple. Please don't project on me your issues. If you are in some competition it is with yourself, don't drag me into your drama.

I could care less about how smart or not Apple users are. Since I post most security and update warnings for Windows, why don't they get defensive? It is never about you Barb. You just aren't a focus of my attention at all. Sorry.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

8 hours ago, DanZemke said:

Barb,

I was not aware of your and RV's previous interactions about this.   I think I should bow out now 🙂

Best wishes to both of you.

Dan there is none except as you observed she objects to Apple security alerts from good sources. She doesn't have any effect on me or my posts when she objects to another author here, instead of on ZDNET and comment there in the original Tech news post.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV, I never said I objected to Apple security alerts - all of whom I see before you have publicized them here.  I do object to the almost joyous glee by the authors of those articles, which are usually by NOT long term Apple users.   Never seem to see Apple users pointing out problems with other the products of other manufacturers, mainly because we are happy with our choice and see no reason to try and disparage what others use.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

:rolleyes:

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998