RV parks with indoor clubhouse areas with wifi to work from

John Reich

I am looking to work remotely and live fulltime in my RV.  I've seen mobile internet access plans discussed often and people who will be working FROM their RV.  That stuff is important to me for a backup. But as I am travelling with small children, working from my RV would only be a practical last resort. I would like to find parks that ideally have a clubhouse or similar area where I could set up and work during the day. Has anyone seen these or done this?  Any tips for finding parks that offer such accomidations? Thanks!

Yours is a question that I do not recall having seen discussed before, but I wonder if most parks might not object to your doing your work in the clubhouse, but am not sure. I think that you might be wise to contact a few parks just to see what reaction you get from them about working in the clubhouse. Most RV parks today do at least have a common area where wifi is available to customers. Bandwidth could be an issue, depending upon what type of work you are doing.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My experiences with park wifi were not good ones. It was important to us that we have decent bandwidth when we wanted it. So we bought a plan that worked for us. But, we didn't have to deal with kids while working. You might have better luck finding parks with programs for kids so they can be the ones to leave while you work.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have a lot in an Escapee Coop Park and there is a clubhouse with WIFI available.   There is really no private area to setup to work but I was able to setup a workspace in my shed as a leaseholder.    However when school started I could not hold a connection long enough for internet phone calls.

A subgroup of the Escapees RV Club is the Xscapers group.  There are typically on the younger side and many have children.  Many also work from their RV so they may be able to answer you questions.  I believe they have an active Facebook site.

https://www.escapees.com/community/xscapers/

Also, you would need your own wifi setup and not rely on RV parks.  This couple could help to answer questions. They are also Xscapers.  Look under their Technology link for good setup info:

https://www.technomadia.com/

I really doubt a RV park clubhouse would let you set up a workspace daily.  The clubhouse is used for activities.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

I really doubt a RV park clubhouse would let you set up a workspace daily.  The clubhouse is used for activities.

So instead of having kids playing you might have women knitting and chatting, men having discussion groups, someone teaching yoga classes, etc.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

12 hours ago, John Reich said:

area where I could set up and work during the day.

What do you need to setup? If it is just a laptop and a notebook or clip board, I have been to a number of parks that have club houses that would be suitable when activities are not scheduled. Some have had ethernet connections for internet. As mentioned, band width could be an issue depending on your needs and the park's system. In some areas (Las Cruces, NM is one) there are Wifi Access Points identified as CableWifi. Two years ago the speed was consistently 30MBS+. You log in using your account from a provider such as Spectrum, Xfinity, etc. If the park has long term residents that have Xfinity internet their router may be transmitting a public access point. In my experience speed varies from about 5MBS to as high as 30MBS. Not sure if Spectrum and others do this also. I think Xfinity still sells access to their Wifi system without a home account.

Some parks have pay for Wifi that has a high speed no limit option. The last one we used was in North Carolina from Sky Best. The speed was 15MBS+. Cost was $60/month.

We have found that the ethernet connections in the rec room is not all that reliable and park WiFi varies from barely OK to ...just -forget-it.  There are ways that you can use a router with multiple connections t increase band with from multiple phone MiFi or hotspots.

Parks are really not set  up for you to conduct many hours of business on there internet connection.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We removed and sold the couch that covered the width of the back of the trailer.  Then replaced it with an Ikea power sit/stand desk w/pedestal type seat and a nice recliner chair.

Plenty of room for my two laptops and a giant curved 4k monitor.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

2 hours ago, John Reich said:

To clarify, I'm not depending on the WIFI, but would ideally likea place to set up multi-monitors.   I would have my own internet if needed, but I dont require alot of bandwidth.

I have been to multiple RV Parks over my years of travel and have not found one that would accommodate your desire every day. Some might allow it for a short time, but unless you are camp hosting or doing work for the park, I don't see it happening on a routine basis. Best option is to set up a room with a door in your RV and set work time as the door is closed, do not bother. Similar to you actually leaving the rig. Not knowing what you are traveling in, if that's even possible. 

Good luck, 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 5 months later...