replacing rooftop air conditioner gasket...Does ac need remain upright?

Ray you reminded me. I would go up and visually inspect the unit after removing the shroud. way back years ago we had a guy in Cabo with horrible sewer smells only when the A/C was running.

I told him to pull the A/C shroud and use aluminum tape and seal any and all holes and cracks on the metal evaporator coil cover. He had his black tank vent next to the A/C and the holes and cracks around the seams were sucking in the vent air! He sealed them up AND serviced/cleaned his A/C and the cooling was better without Eau de Sewage.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Kirk, you asked me to update how my ac gasket/coil clean went.... Am very pleased on Day1. So fortunate to have found a very competent mobile rv tech. Doubly lucky as he ran into a loose rivnut on one of the four hold-down bolts that would have been a major stoppage if I'd gone the DIY route, and he immediately remedied that by pinning the spinning nut with a couple of screws to fix it in place, which I'd neither had the awareness nor the tools to do. Classic example of the pro's make it look easy.

For the gasket change, ac flip or upright? He was happy to do it upright for me though when he noted he's been setting them on their side for many years with not a single problem, I went with the flip. Was turned on as soon as done and worked fine. Far better than before as the evaporator coil was quite dirty, and drilled larger holes for the condensate drain. And was patient with the many questions I had along the way.  Even charged on the more modest side for the long time he was here to boot.

He serves the greater area around Cottonwood AZ in case this could ever be of value to another. A ranger at Dead Horse State Park which gets a fair amount of rv traffic referred me, saying he's the best in this region. https://yourrvmedic.com/

Thank you and all other commenters, as it made me more aware of the landscape, better prepared to make choices.

Edited by DavidH

8 hours ago, DavidH said:

Thank you and all other commenters, as it made me more aware of the landscape, better prepared to make choices.

And thank you for taking the time to do a follow-up. It always helps to have a reliable tech with experience. I suspect that air conditioners are one of those areas where most owners and even most professionals have little experience because they seldom have much problem. A lot of what we do know, we learn from people like yourself that share with us. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 7 months later...