8 Y/O Dometic Penguin A/C Lost Refrigerant

One of the A/C units on our 2013 Montana leaked out its oil/refrigerant.  It is not leaking at the compressor, but rather near the heat exchanger.  I see the oil on one of the copper lines.
Can this generally be repaired?  A repair would require the actual repair, cleaning, evacuating and recharging.  Any ideas on cost?
My dilemma is whether to repair and use for hopefully a few years, or go ahead and replace.  New units are in the $1200 - $1500 range.
This is a Dometic Penguin low profile unit. 

We are at the SKP Co-op in Benson, AZ.  It gets a lot of use here.

Edited by Kevin H
added more info.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

I would expect such work, if you find a willing A/C repairman, to cost near $500 to install gauge valves, pull a vacuum on the system to check for leaks and pull out all contamination, then if none are found -recharge the system with refrigerant. Then hope the compressor didn't burn up=more $$$.

The drawback to buying new is the backlog of orders for new units; then again you might find a new one right away.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Love that park.  My parents owned a lot there and I helped build their casita

Previous comment is pretty right on.  I have tried to service a few of these and since they are sealed systems, a service valve setup will have to be installed and then the inquiry will begin because of the pulling vacuum.  And with it being an 8YO unit, and by your own words, it gets lots of use, could be money spent without a return.

Have you considered a mini split or a portable unit?

Mini might be a good option if your rig stays there. (My parents had a 5er that stayed there and they traveled in a Class A during the summer.  We lived on the coast of Cali at the time, and it seemed they visited every summer.  We built an RV space in our yard where they could come & go.)  The portable would work if you travel.  I just bought a new one and they work pretty well and not too loud.  The dual hose models are pretty efficient. 

Marcel

Thanks for the replies, folks.  We decided to bite the bullet and get a new unit.
I love the idea of a mini-split and am fully on board with one when/if our living area unit goes out.  Today's bad one is in the bedroom.
I had a unique mini split system 20 years ago for my garage shop in Austin, TX.
I had a welder build what amounted to a large hand truck framework.  I mounted the air handler to the top of the frame. The bottom plate was large enough that I mounted the condenser unit on it with a wide gap between the unit and the tall frame work.
When I wanted to use it, I opened the garage door, wheeled the unit underneath it, removed furniture dolly so the plate sat directly on the ground.  I then closed the door between the tall frame and the outside unit.  Worked great.

MiniSplit.jpg

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Wow! Nice engineering Kevin!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire