HELP...Broken Spring in South Dakota

I'm 2215 miles from home (Massachusetts), between Sioux Fall and Mitchel South Dakota and my trailer broke a leaf spring. It broke right at the shackle so I'm able to jury rig it to get me to a repair facility or a parts supplier.

Dual Axle, 3000# axle, 19' toy hauler....Forest River , Grey Wolf 19RR

Can anyone recommend a trailer supply near Sioux Falls or Mitchel SD that would be open on Saturday?

Thanks!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Try Jacks in Mitchell, fairly large 2 location dealer which was very helpful when I stopped in just for a part last year, not sure about Sat hours especially for service, I believe there is a campground not far from there if needed. Good luck

Jack's Rentals | South Dakota RV Dealer (jackscampers.com)

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I had spring work and new tires done at Mitchell truck & trailer repair shop on our 5er..

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

It doesn't have to be a RV repair.  When we had a travel trailer years ago we were traveling across Canada and were in the boonies when a spring broke.  No cell phones at that time.  A passerby stopped and he said he would let the local garage know.  This was on a Sunday. As it turned out the garage was closed but the passerby knew who owned it and went to their house.  Their two teens  drove to us & fixed ours good enough to get us to the garage where it was then repaired that day.  Garages out in the boonies are relied upon by farmers and other heavy-duty businesses.  They are very adept at fixing things.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Well, five stops in Sioux Falls SD and no parts available at any RV place. There was a facility most RV shops use, but closed until Monday....A few miles out of town I remember passing a farm place with lots of utility trailers out front. We drove over and BINGO! They had a spring....and they let me use any tools I needed to install it!  A fantastic ex-marine helped after his shift was up at noon. We had to force money on him as a tip. He wouldn't take it. I told him to donate it or take his wife out to dinner and my grandson forced it into his hand. Wonderful people out here in the west! On to My Rushmore!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Would guess your trailer has tandem wheels.  The "good' spring packs may now have been overloaded! (No way to know).

Suggest you replace the remaining spring packs - or (because the 3 remaining may have different "rates"), replace them all from the same supplier.  Save one of the old spring packs in a compt as a backup if you ever need it.

BTW - You're far better off *not* going to an *RV* dealer !  "Spring & Forge" shops are available in most cities, also trailer supply stores (springs -and equipment- for utility trailers, horse trailers, etc.) are very common.  Both of these are usually more reliable than RV dealers.

One last.....make sure the center positioning "pin" is in the center of the spring - or *not*!  Sometimes they are offset an inch or so from being "on center".  Measure the distance/s on your old spring.

We had a wheel bearing burn on the way back from Alaska on I-5 in 1999 traveling with another HitchHiker fiver owner as a two rig caravan. It was Saturday and the Good Sam towing service folks took six hours to arrive to tow us to a tire chain that did trailer axles. We were allowed to plug into a 15 amp plug in their parking lot and to their water spigot. Monday morning they acted like they do this every day got the new axle with the electric brake assemblies and had us ready to go that afternoon. That was when I found I could buy all new brake assemblies for about 40 bucks each rather than pay $500 - 1000 at an RV place to just replace the brake shoes and adjust them. Any good spring and brake service or farm area mechanics shop can do them well and reasonably to downright inexpensively priced, with excellent mechanics.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire