Needing new laptop

dennisvr

I'm in the market for a new laptop.  Laptop I have now is a Lenovo (cheapy, $300) 4gb ram, 1 TB storage, it says I have 840gb of 930 storage left .
 I don't know a lot about computers, I use mine mostly to surf the web and store my pictures.  I'm thinking I would like one with 8mb ram, storage??   Anyway if any of you computer gurus out there can steer me to a good computer for me at the best price I would grateful.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Dennis,

I would wait a bit because Windows 11 is coming out soon and lots of processors and systems won't work with it. However, they will be supporting Windows 10 until 2025. 

So you might not want to get a high priced unit until we see which way MS decides to go.

Here's what I would consider minimum specs for the basics and a decent five year computer:

Intel 10/11th generation Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen 5/ 8GB RAM for the system chipset.

Storage can be a 1TB SSD. Or two drives with a smaller SSD of 256GB or 512GB backed up by a one or two TB hard drive. The smaller and faster SSD will contain Windows and all your system software. Then you tell your programs to save your photos and data to the slower Hard Drive for cheaper reliable storage.

I would recommend getting an external hard drive maybe 4-8 GB that connects to your new computer's fast USB C ports. Then store your pics there and you can get by with just the 256GB-512GB SSD

That would give you speed and great storage.

But be sure it is compatible with Windows 11. You can still run Windows 10 until 2025.

I'll be posting here updates on Microsoft's revised requirements for Windows 11 as they announce it.

A couple months maybe less until we know.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

I would wait a bit because Windows 11 is coming out soon and lots of processors and systems won't work with it.

Why wait?

Take a look at the new M1 MacBook Air laptop. Here's a testimonial from a PC user . . . and a head-to-head comparison with a PC laptop.

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Thanks for your replies.  I found this (HP 14, Intel Core i5-1035G1, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)  for $499.00,  I guess I'll go with this.  Thanks again.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Dennis that sounds like a decent set of specs. Glad you found one you liked at a good price point. Do you have a link to it or the model number? Is it a 10th gen processor?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

9 hours ago, RV_ said:

Dennis that sounds like a decent set of specs. Glad you found one you liked at a good price point. Do you have a link to it or the model number? Is it a 10th gen processor?

HP 14" i5 8GB/256 Laptop- Digi Camo - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

One place it says it has a i5-1135G7 processor.  Then another place it says it has a  i5-1035G1 processor.   I'm confused, course it doesn't take much to confuse me when it comes to computers. 

Edited by dennisvr

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Looks like a good choice. Both 10th and 11th gen processors will be very fast. I have an 11th gen i5 in my new Surface Pro 7+ with 8GB RAM 128GB SSD upgradeable and will get a 1TB SSD soon.

If you haven't bought yet look here:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/vwa/laptops/Price=219-599;availability=In-Stock;ordr=Ready-to-Ship,Customizable?jumpid=ma_lt_hero_na_2_210711

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998