Propane from one tank not working

This is a used 2016 Montana 3950BR with 30lb propane tanks on each side, internal compartments. Only the side with the valve to switch between tanks gets flow. 

Both tanks have plenty of propane. I've actually swapped tanks with the same result. Tank valves are open. 

Works with the tank on this side and selector valve switched to this side. Turns green as expected.

tank1.jpg

The other side gets no flow at all when switched and it goes red. I also noticed a green regulator on that side as well. Is it supposed to have a regulator on that side? Maybe bad regulator?

tank2-2.jpg

Thanks for any help?

Has it every worked properly? If not that would be my assumption too. Are you sure that regulator is  original equipment, it appears to be aftermarket added. I've never seen 2 pressure regulators when the dual regulator is installed.

Your first picture shows a dual regulator just like my last 5er had, but my cylinders were together.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Most RVs with tanks on opposing sides have a medium pressure regulator on the off-side. The NFPA has something about the requirements, but I'm too lazy to look them up. Step 1; Make sure there's gas coming out of the hose going into the switching regulator. The failure rate for the switching valves seems to be higher than any other part in the supply system, but that's just anecdotally.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I had one that acted that way once. I disconnected and re connected a few times and then turned the tanks valve on SLOWLYYYYYYYY which for some reason made it start working properly ??????? I could hear a snap/change/toggle in the assembly which seemed different if I opened the tank slow????????? 

John T

14 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

This is a used 2016 Montana 3950BR with 30lb propane tanks on each side, internal compartments. Only the side with the valve to switch between tanks gets flow. 

Both tanks have plenty of propane. I've actually swapped tanks with the same result. Tank valves are open. 

Works with the tank on this side and selector valve switched to this side. Turns green as expected.

tank1.jpg

The other side gets no flow at all when switched and it goes red. I also noticed a green regulator on that side as well. Is it supposed to have a regulator on that side? Maybe bad regulator?

tank2-2.jpg

Thanks for any help?

Switch the hose that go to the tank with the the other side. There is a check valve in the end that goes to the tank and they can fail on the closed position. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

Been working on this off an on. Replaced various things. It turned out to be the spare side tank had the wrong regulator. I put in a high flow regulator and it works just fine. 

high-flow.jpg

That's a first stage regulator with an output pressure of about 10 PSI. Your auto switch over regulator is acting as the second stage even though it's actually an integrated two stage regulator. Separate first and second stage regulators are often used when the line from the tank is long enough that not lowering the 150+ PSI from the tank could be a safety hazard. It's very common in residential propane installations with large tanks located some distance from the residence.

The green regulator that was used is a second stage regulator with a 0.04 PSI (11") output that wasn't enough to trip the automatic changeover.

Never connect a first stage regulator directly to an appliance distribution connection.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

Been working on this off an on. Replaced various things. It turned out to be the spare side tank had the wrong regulator. I put in a high flow regulator and it works just fine. 

That's the one I was talking about, earlier. Thanks for following up for us.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:03 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

That's the one I was talking about, earlier. Thanks for following up for us.

What you wrote now makes perfect sense. I just didn’t understand. The benefit of diving into such a system is you come out with a much better understanding. Thanks!

i’m off work for Spring break the next 7 days. Have a minor hydraulic leak in the front system to sort out. It’s not in the jacks but in the system with all the hoses, tank, valves or somewhere. Need to wipe it all down, get a good light and go from there.