Headed to Maine?

hdrider

This may be crazy but we plan to hit Michigan next summer for a whirlwind and then drop down to Ann Arbor to do the Henry Ford Museum, then down to Flushing Ohio to check out the Underground Railroad, then up to check out Niagara Falls before heading towards the Banger and Trenton Maine area. Of course want to do the touristy stuff and see Arcadia before working our way out the bottom of Maine and heading to Florida.
Is that all to crazy and ambitious? If not any suggestions for routes and big rig parks? We will be traveling with 1 other couple, they are in a 40' Class A and we are in a 43' 5th wheel (13'5" tall).
This is a 2022 trip but want to start reserving soon and we would hope to be at the bottom of Michigan doing the Henry Ford Museum the end of May to avoid the kids being out of school.
I can take it if you just say I'm a crazy fool LOL!!! That's just about the last area of the country we have not seen, Maine, Vermont and that area anyway.

Timing would be at the bottom of Michigan beginning of May and our friends would like to be in NC mid August but everything is in sand.  

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

While it would be much more rapid travels than we do, that doesn't make you crazy, but maybe ambitious? You don't say much about how early you expect to be in Michigan or how far north but that could be dicey, depending on the spring weather. We visited the Ford Museum well after school was out and it was no problem at all. There is ample parking there and the village and museum are hugeIt s so it would take a lot of people to make them crowded. I would avoid the weekends and visit midweek, but not worry too much if you don't get there before school is out.  When we visited the Ford we were traveling from Niagara Falls but went through Canada as the more direct route. A lot will depend on how much time you plan to spend at each stop, but I would plan for at least 3 days to see the Ford and about the same for Niagara Falls. Each of those legs could be made in 1 days travel and unless we were to see things in between, we would probably doe each of them in 2 days. It sounds to me like you will have at least 3 months to do the trip and I believe that it is very doable. Perhaps a bit more travel than I would plan in recent years but easily done. I would definitely build in some down time, but you can do it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That is pretty much the trip we are doing this year, although not at whirlwind speed.  We left FL the first week in May and are in Ohio now.  We get to ME 7/25.  The thing I would say about timing is that "dropping down to Ann Arbor" implies that you will be in northern Michigan in early to mid-May.  That is definitely not summer at that latitude.  Late spring and bugs.

We came across the FL Panhandle and generally up the Mississippi River Valley.  Vicksburg, MS was very nice and the National Military Park was worth visiting.  We stayed at Rivertown Rose CG there.  Easy access, big sites and good cell service for Verizon.  We went to Hot Springs NP and were not impressed - way too crowded.  There have been two gems, so far.  The James N. McNally park in Grantsburg, WI was great.  Level, easy access, FHU and large sites.  Note that there is a 13' 2" on WI-70 west of there but easy truck route around.  Activities nearby were somewhat limited - we did golf and bird watching.  Lansing, IA is beautiful.  We stayed at Red Barn CG and thoroughly enjoyed except for poor cell service.  Breakfasts on the Mississippi at Coffee on the River was spectacular - great food and great view.

We took the ferry from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI and avoided the Chicago drive.  WI state highways are terrible.  It seems they are poured in 8'-10' sections and are BUMPY.  The US highways in WI and MI were very good.  This was true of US highways in most states although MI state highways were usually very good - US-127 in MI was a very nice road.

For visiting VT, NH and entering ME I suggest I-87 in NY north to NY-74E to NY-22 (Ft. Ticonderoga) to NY-903 crossing Lake Champlain to VT-17 to VT-22A to US-7 and the Burlington, VT area.  Good roads and pretty country.  From there US-2 across to Bangor is mostly good road with a few lumpy areas.  From there US-1A will take you Downeast.  Pumpkin Patch is a nice RV park in the Bangor area.  If you want something quieter and on the water, Parks Pond in Clifton is very nice.

If you like ice cream, Morton's Moo has what I consider to be the best anywhere - it is in Ellsworth, ME (between Bangor and BH).  The coast east of Bar Harbor is amazing and US-1 along that area is not heavily traveled.  Be sure to visit the Schoodic Point section of Acadia NP, too.  Very few people do that.

Heading south in Maine, US-1 south of Brunswick is an absolute zoo.  I recommend traveling it only weekdays before mid-October.  US-295 and US-95 parallel it and are better for N/S travel and just connect to the coastal area for things you want to see, or see it in your TV or toad.

Going south to FL I from Maine I always avoid I-95 from Boston to DC.  I use I-95 S to I-495 in MA to I-290 to I-90 (Mass Pike) to I-84.  In CT taking CT-2W from I-84 to I-91S to I-691 (in Meridan) back to I-84 avoids Hartford.  From there we take I-84 to I-81 in PA and, depending on where we are going from there, stay with I-81 until VA or take US-15/I-70 to MD to see the grandchildren and then US-301 down to I-95 in VA.

Let me know if you have other questions.  I lived mostly in Maine from age 17 to 68.  My eldest daughter owns a B & B in Bar Harbor.

As an aside, I normally never correct spelling or pronunciation.  In Maine, however, few things will make the locals less helpful than saying A-R-cadia and Banger.  It is Acadia (no R) and Bangor (pronounced Ban-Gor).

Happy travels.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

May in Michigan could be wet and cool with mosquitoes depending where you're going.  Then again, you could have nice weather.  You know how much you can count on weather!  We lived there.

https://www.weather.gov/dtx/DTW_May_rec

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

11 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

That is pretty much the trip we are doing this year, although not at whirlwind speed.  We left FL the first week in May and are in Ohio now.  We get to ME 7/25.  The thing I would say about timing is that "dropping down to Ann Arbor" implies that you will be in northern Michigan in early to mid-May.  That is definitely not summer at that latitude.  Late spring and bugs.

We came across the FL Panhandle and generally up the Mississippi River Valley.  Vicksburg, MS was very nice and the National Military Park was worth visiting.  We stayed at Rivertown Rose CG there.  Easy access, big sites and good cell service for Verizon.  We went to Hot Springs NP and were not impressed - way too crowded.  There have been two gems, so far.  The James N. McNally park in Grantsburg, WI was great.  Level, easy access, FHU and large sites.  Note that there is a 13' 2" on WI-70 west of there but easy truck route around.  Activities nearby were somewhat limited - we did golf and bird watching.  Lansing, IA is beautiful.  We stayed at Red Barn CG and thoroughly enjoyed except for poor cell service.  Breakfasts on the Mississippi at Coffee on the River was spectacular - great food and great view.

We took the ferry from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI and avoided the Chicago drive.  WI state highways are terrible.  It seems they are poured in 8'-10' sections and are BUMPY.  The US highways in WI and MI were very good.  This was true of US highways in most states although MI state highways were usually very good - US-127 in MI was a very nice road.

For visiting VT, NH and entering ME I suggest I-87 in NY north to NY-74E to NY-22 (Ft. Ticonderoga) to NY-903 crossing Lake Champlain to VT-17 to VT-22A to US-7 and the Burlington, VT area.  Good roads and pretty country.  From there US-2 across to Bangor is mostly good road with a few lumpy areas.  From there US-1A will take you Downeast.  Pumpkin Patch is a nice RV park in the Bangor area.  If you want something quieter and on the water, Parks Pond in Clifton is very nice.

If you like ice cream, Morton's Moo has what I consider to be the best anywhere - it is in Ellsworth, ME (between Bangor and BH).  The coast east of Bar Harbor is amazing and US-1 along that area is not heavily traveled.  Be sure to visit the Schoodic Point section of Acadia NP, too.  Very few people do that.

Heading south in Maine, US-1 south of Brunswick is an absolute zoo.  I recommend traveling it only weekdays before mid-October.  US-295 and US-95 parallel it and are better for N/S travel and just connect to the coastal area for things you want to see, or see it in your TV or toad.

Going south to FL I from Maine I always avoid I-95 from Boston to DC.  I use I-95 S to I-495 in MA to I-290 to I-90 (Mass Pike) to I-84.  In CT taking CT-2W from I-84 to I-91S to I-691 (in Meridan) back to I-84 avoids Hartford.  From there we take I-84 to I-81 in PA and, depending on where we are going from there, stay with I-81 until VA or take US-15/I-70 to MD to see the grandchildren and then US-301 down to I-95 in VA.

Let me know if you have other questions.  I lived mostly in Maine from age 17 to 68.  My eldest daughter owns a B & B in Bar Harbor.

As an aside, I normally never correct spelling or pronunciation.  In Maine, however, few things will make the locals less helpful than saying A-R-cadia and Banger.  It is Acadia (no R) and Bangor (pronounced Ban-Gor).

Happy travels.

Wayne & Jinx

Thank you very much for taking the time to make that reply, I will certainly be referring to this numerous times. 

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

8 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

May in Michigan could be wet and cool with mosquitoes depending where you're going.  Then again, you could have nice weather.  You know how much you can count on weather!  We lived there.

https://www.weather.gov/dtx/DTW_May_rec

You are probably right, it could ne iffy for sure. Was hoping to get in before the big crowds and I guess there could be prices to pay for that. 

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

3 hours ago, hdrider said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to make that reply, I will certainly be referring to this numerous times.

My pleasure. 

I've been looking over my notes.  On NY-74 there is a 7.5% grade for 2.5 miles eastbound.  We were going west and climbed it.  I don't recall the road being particularly winding or difficult.

US-2 W of Gorham, NH has an eastbound 8% grade for 2 miles.  It is good road with winding turns.  Thee is a runaway truck ramp partway down the grade.

Safe travels and drop a line if you have Maine questions.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

On 7/13/2021 at 8:02 AM, hdrider said:

Timing would be at the bottom of Michigan beginning of May and our friends would like to be in NC mid August but everything is in sand. 

One last thing - July thru early October are the best months in northern New England,  May and early June are unpredictable months, weather wise.  They can be nice, or cold and wet.  In northern VT and NH, and central and northern Maine, May thru mid to late June is Bug Season.  If you've not experienced black flies you will discover they make mosquitoes seem like gentle doves.

Wayne & Jinx

Jinx and Wayne