Tow Bar Question

NCMEDIC

I am new to class A RVs, but not to RVs in general.   I'm planning to purchase our future vehicle ( Wrangler) and get it set up for towing before we start the motorhome search in earnest.  

This might sound like a simplistic question, but are towbars universal?  In other words, if I buy Roadmaster base plates, and the RV we get has a BlueOx tow bar, will they be compatible?  I'd really be in the doghouse with the "CFO" if I wasted the money on baseplates that don't work.

Thanks in advance.

25 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

The hitch on the RV will accept whatever connection you have for the car.   So it is your choice as th what you put on your car.  

Unless it is a ball hitch. If, so you'll want to replace it anyway.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

When making brand/system decisions, consider first whether you will be installing yourself or hiring another to do so.  If you're hiring out this work, it would probably be wise to ask for the brand that they are the most experienced with.  You won't want them learning on your vehicle.  (Like mine did.)

21 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

And a Roadmaster tow bar won't connect to Blue Ox baseplates.

I believe that there are now adapters made so if the car has one base plate there is away to use the other's arms.   I believe they are third party items.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

There are ball hitches that will slide into RV 479f82d5-5303-4355-bffb-71f0cc61c08c_1.e

Correct. And the new base plate on his car will not connect to it. So he'll need a new hitch on the RV.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I believe that there are now adapters made so if the car has one base plate there is away to use the other's arms.   I believe they are third party items.  

True enough, but that's more fiddley bits to make sure that they're connected properly, have all their locking pins secured, and nothing has gone missing.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

6 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Not directly, but there are adapters for Blue Ox to Roadmaster and for Roadmaster to Blue Ox. Also for Demco.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ222zUM1g2ir7bQ1FW_         shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3-Fq1BIFV2tRdqfDhR

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

Correct. And the new base plate on his car will not connect to it. So he'll need a new hitch on the RV.

Linda

If you are towing four down the only thing you might need is to add a drop extension to the existing RV hitch.  Is that what you are talking about?  Depends upon what type of motorhome.  With our Class C it was a straight fit, but with the DP we had to add a drop extension for the Subaru and the CMax.   The drops are not specific to any particular base plate. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Depends upon what type of motorhome.  With our Class C it was a straight fit, but with the DP we had to add a drop extension for the Subaru and the CMax.   The drops are not specific to any particular base plate. 

To add a bit, the towbar should be as nearly level as possible when on level surfaces and if there is any slope it should be down from the motorhome to the towed. The dropped receivers are easily available and the can be installed to raise by simply turning it over. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJAxjXhgVW9sGxX2h2H1J images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1W3I2wNBFavk-WTjKMsi

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 7/10/2021 at 6:00 PM, Barbaraok said:

Blue Ox sells the adapters to Roadmaster base-plate.   Roadmaster sells adapters to all other base-plates.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 5 weeks later...

I would go RoadMaster, in my experience they are the easiest to install and I have not heard of any failures in a RoadMaster tow bar that was operated within the weight rating of the tow bar.  Blue-x on the other hand has had some failures reported on the various RV Web Site forums.  Do a search on tow bar failures and see what pops up.  Also be advised you will need to add a braking system to the towed Jeep.  What you get will depend on whether the Motor Home has a Diesel Engine with Air Brakes or is a Gas Engined Coach with conventional Hydraulic Brakes.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

On 7/10/2021 at 5:36 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Yes it will, Blue Ox sells adapters to fit other base plates. Roadmaster sells adapters to fit Blue Ox and other base plates.

Having owned and used both, IMO a Blue Ox base plate is stronger than a Roadmaster. Roadmaster must use a spreader bar for heavier vehicles to reinforce the base plate. (Ours did anyway) Those are the only two I've ever owned or used from the 6 sold today.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 7/10/2021 at 7:48 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

True enough, but that's more fiddley bits to make sure that they're connected properly, have all their locking pins secured, and nothing has gone missing.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.