Fault with a Hayes 100400-C air over electric brake controller

noteven

Got the KW out of storage and my Hayes controller is having an issue. It was working last tow and batteries were disconnected while it was stored:

- air actuator clicks normally when truck brakes are applied, manual lever moves on the controller.

- the LED indicator lamp on the controller does not illuminate either with truck brake application or moving the lever manually.

- there is constant battery voltage at the blue output to brakes wire at all times. It does not change when moving the manual lever. 

I have not connected it to a trailer - I assume the brakes will come on due to the constant volts? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I'm guessing everything is ok and is working as it's designed.

The Hayes I have is a sliding rheostat and without the brakes connected it'll have full voltage output but of course no current flow.  When you plug in the connector, you'll complete the circuit and current should flow proportional to the Hayes lever position.  Voltage will also vary with the voltage divided across the rheostat and the brakes, again proportional to the lever position.

Edited by Jim & Wilma

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

19 minutes ago, Jim & Wilma said:

I'm guessing everything is ok and is working as it's designed.

The Hayes I have is a sliding rheostat and without the brakes connected it'll have full voltage output but of course no current flow.  When you plug in the connector, you'll complete the circuit and current should flow proportional to the Hayes lever position.  Voltage will also vary with the voltage divided across the rheostat and the brakes, again proportional to the lever position.

Ya Jim I'm going to connect a trailer and check it out.  So what you're saying is battery voltage at the trailer brake pin on the tow vehicle at all times is normal? 

Why I got measuring volts is the red LED is inop. As you know it normally illuminates whenever there is a brake app whether a trailer is connected or not. When towing it varies to show how much gain is being applied. 

Mine shows nada right now. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Without a trailer connected to the blue wire, you will read "open circuit voltage" which is always source voltage.  The LED is a basically a high impedance meter and acts as one.  It should be lite bright at all times without a trailer connected. 

The report that you have always got 12VDC on the blue wire and it does not change with the movement of the Hayes lever is normal.  Again open circuit voltage (no current flow) does not care what is between the measurement point and the source voltage.  No current flow means no load on the circuit.  You can think of it as the electrons have no where to go so they pile up at the end of the wire until they equal the battery voltage.  

If you hook up a trailer and you see that the voltage (or current) varies with Hayes movement then all is well.  You may have a bad red LED.  

Is yours the old type (no white wire coming out of the Hayes box) or the new one that does have a white ground wire from the mfg.  If it is the old type, they have a history of being problematic.

Never hook up a Hayes to air over electric over hydraulic (disk brakes with a controller).  The output of the Hayes cannot be limited and will lock up the brakes with only minor movement of the Hayes.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist