To Escapees Administrators and Management

No one appears to like the new Member badges.  Please remove this "feature", or at least, enable each of us to opt out.

https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/142385-new-rankings-by-name/

And here is a link to a quick poll on the subject:

https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/142423-whats-your-opinion-about-the-new-badges/

Edited by DanZemke
added link to poll

14 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Escapees IT department has nothing to do with it, or control over it.

Ummm, I have hosted and admined several different forums and this is a BS statement. In every forum I dealt with I could choose the features. If the Escapees IT can not do this then they have a bad hosting plan or do not understand how to manage it. My opinion.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

It doesn't work that way, Dan. Invision, the company providing the software that the forum runs on, did a "value-add" to their product. Escapees IT department has nothing to do with it, or control over it.

It appears, based on Dutch's post below, you are mistaken.

Edited by DanZemke
Added information

Posted (edited)

Dutch, that's great news.  It's been many years since I spoke to the Escapees Forum IT folks.  I think Kirk is probably the best path.  But if for some reason, he doesn't want to pursue this, I will.

Thank You!

P.S. Quoting from the link Dutch posted:

"This plugin will let you customize the badge displayed below the profile photos of new members when viewing a topic. You can easily change the icon, change how long a member should be considered new, or disable the badge completely.

Edited by DanZemke

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2021 at 5:48 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

It doesn't work that way, Dan. Invision, the company providing the software that the forum runs on, did a "value-add" to their product. Escapees IT department has nothing to do with it, or control over it.

Nope.  That's not the way it actually works.  Invision makes it easy to disable the badges.  Escapees IT folks have complete control.

Edited by DanZemke

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2021 at 6:55 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Complaining to the wind does wonders for the complainer. The IT group doesn't read the forums, they've said that several times in the past. What have you actually done to correct the issue?

Nothing yet, but I am honestly trying.

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

There is a lot that can be switched on and off on this software.

"

features-engagement.png User Engagement & Gamification

Reactions

Express sentiment with customizable reactions throughout the community, with positive and negative reactions tying into our reputation system.

Identify your most valuable users - and troublemakers - with our reputation system. Users earn reputation points which are prominently shown beside their content.

Leaderboards

Users can earn trophies by being the highest-scoring each day, and a leader-board keeps track of the highest-ranked. 

Automatic Group Promotion

Automatically move users between groups as they meet certain criteria you define - a great way to drip feed access as they prove themselves.

Notifications & Digests

Users can opt in to email notifications - immediate, daily or weekly - so they're always receiving fresh content from your community."

That is from the Invision website. Go check out all the features and switches mentioned:

https://invisioncommunity.com/features/

Edited by RV_

8 hours ago, DanZemke said:

Nope.  That's not the way it actually works.  Invision makes it easy to disable the badges.  Escapees IT folks have complete control.

Thanks, Dan. The previous versions of Invision software haven't had much for user customization, but I'll look into this, if demand warrants.

Posted (edited)

The poll seems to have run its course.  So far, no one,  has indicated that they prefer the new "badges".  But only 23 people have "voted".  If you haven't "voted" yet, and have a preference, please register your opinion soon.  If the consensus, remains the same through Tuesday,   I've decided to take the lead on removing the "badges". 

My objective is, to make it as easy as possible, for the Escapees IT folks to implement the change.

I don't have paying-customer-level access to the  Invision Community website, that presumably provides some help file(s) on how to install the plug-in and disable the badges.  If anyone can provide me with the how-to content,  I'll take the ball and run with it.  If they would prefer to take the ball themselves, I'll actively support them.

I can be contacted at - email address removed by Dan

Dan

Edited by DanZemke
Delete email address