To Escapees Administrators and Management

No one appears to like the new Member badges.  Please remove this "feature", or at least, enable each of us to opt out.

https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/142385-new-rankings-by-name/

And here is a link to a quick poll on the subject:

https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/142423-whats-your-opinion-about-the-new-badges/

Edited by DanZemke
added link to poll

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

It doesn't work that way, Dan. Invision, the company providing the software that the forum runs on, did a "value-add" to their product. Escapees IT department has nothing to do with it, or control over it.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

14 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Escapees IT department has nothing to do with it, or control over it.

Ummm, I have hosted and admined several different forums and this is a BS statement. In every forum I dealt with I could choose the features. If the Escapees IT can not do this then they have a bad hosting plan or do not understand how to manage it. My opinion.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

It doesn't work that way, Dan. Invision, the company providing the software that the forum runs on, did a "value-add" to their product. Escapees IT department has nothing to do with it, or control over it.

It appears, based on Dutch's post below, you are mistaken.

Edited by DanZemke
Added information

Complaining to the wind does wonders for the complainer. The IT group doesn't read the forums, they've said that several times in the past. What have you actually done to correct the issue?

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

If someone does manage to get the IT folks to listen, let them know Invision has a free plugin named "Customize New Member Badge" that includes the ability to disable the badges.

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9758-customize-new-member-badge/

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Dutch, that's great news.  It's been many years since I spoke to the Escapees Forum IT folks.  I think Kirk is probably the best path.  But if for some reason, he doesn't want to pursue this, I will.

Thank You!

P.S. Quoting from the link Dutch posted:

"This plugin will let you customize the badge displayed below the profile photos of new members when viewing a topic. You can easily change the icon, change how long a member should be considered new, or disable the badge completely.

Edited by DanZemke

On 7/10/2021 at 5:48 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Nope.  That's not the way it actually works.  Invision makes it easy to disable the badges.  Escapees IT folks have complete control.

Edited by DanZemke

On 7/10/2021 at 6:55 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Complaining to the wind does wonders for the complainer. The IT group doesn't read the forums, they've said that several times in the past. What have you actually done to correct the issue?

Nothing yet, but I am honestly trying.

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

There is a lot that can be switched on and off on this software.

"

features-engagement.png User Engagement & Gamification

Reactions

Express sentiment with customizable reactions throughout the community, with positive and negative reactions tying into our reputation system.

Identify your most valuable users - and troublemakers - with our reputation system. Users earn reputation points which are prominently shown beside their content.

Leaderboards

Users can earn trophies by being the highest-scoring each day, and a leader-board keeps track of the highest-ranked. 

Automatic Group Promotion

Automatically move users between groups as they meet certain criteria you define - a great way to drip feed access as they prove themselves.

Notifications & Digests

Users can opt in to email notifications - immediate, daily or weekly - so they're always receiving fresh content from your community."

That is from the Invision website. Go check out all the features and switches mentioned:

https://invisioncommunity.com/features/

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

8 hours ago, DanZemke said:

Nope.  That's not the way it actually works.  Invision makes it easy to disable the badges.  Escapees IT folks have complete control.

Thanks, Dan. The previous versions of Invision software haven't had much for user customization, but I'll look into this, if demand warrants.

Please e-mail us here.

The poll seems to have run its course.  So far, no one,  has indicated that they prefer the new "badges".  But only 23 people have "voted".  If you haven't "voted" yet, and have a preference, please register your opinion soon.  If the consensus, remains the same through Tuesday,   I've decided to take the lead on removing the "badges". 

My objective is, to make it as easy as possible, for the Escapees IT folks to implement the change.

I don't have paying-customer-level access to the  Invision Community website, that presumably provides some help file(s) on how to install the plug-in and disable the badges.  If anyone can provide me with the how-to content,  I'll take the ball and run with it.  If they would prefer to take the ball themselves, I'll actively support them.

I can be contacted at - email address removed by Dan

Dan

Edited by DanZemke
Delete email address

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, jeanhoyle said:

I have been a “member” of this forum for more than 15 years, but am classified as a newbie?  Seems dumb ti me

I've been a member about 8 years and have been very active but I too was classified as new. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 5 months later...

We've been on a "temporary" job since July, 2020, so haven't been reading the RV forums as I used to. That "temporary" position looks like it may finally have and end, so I'm back to my old haunts. I was quite surprised to find out that I'm considered a new member, even though I've been here for quite a few years and have quite a few posts. I ignore the badges notifications. I don't care about them.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

4 hours ago, kb0zke said:

We've been on a "temporary" job since July, 2020, so haven't been reading the RV forums as I used to. That "temporary" position looks like it may finally have and end, so I'm back to my old haunts. I was quite surprised to find out that I'm considered a new member, even though I've been here for quite a few years and have quite a few posts. I ignore the badges notifications. I don't care about them.

It happened to all of us due to the transition to a forum software upgrade. I think most of us pay little attention to the badges...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

48 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

It happened to all of us due to the transition to a forum software upgrade. I think most of us pay little attention to the badges...

The 'badges' are so commonplace now I don't even notice them.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Truckman said:

I never even noticed this post or the "badges" you are referenced. Was the issue resolved?

There was no issue to be resolved. New forum software, new features...  The badges have become part of the background, as expected...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels