Hauling a Canoe

COFLTravler

Time to ask the experts....I know someone out there has an idea - other than just sell the canoe.....

Trying to figure out a way that I could haul my 14' canoe on my rig.  Putting it on the Fiver is a no go due to the height.  Really don't think I have enough slope to mount it over the Smart towards the back of the cab - thoughts?

Mark

Truck Small 2X.jpg

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Can you put it on the truck bed, just in front of the hitch, aimed at the stars? Use a moving blanket to protect the smart.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Could you have a solid fix attached to the pin box and a gimbal pole on the bed so it would pivot with the trailer? Angled up or elevated so nose is over smart like Darryl said?  It would of course assume you have 14’ from back of cab to pin box. Other consideration would be fore and aft movement of pin box must be taken into account so the “fixed” mount would have to be a slider.

On edit:  The more I think about this just don’t know if you would have the room between cab and trailer.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Mark, I have a 17ft kayak and have been studying this question since I bought my truck in 2010. As much as I hate to say it...It ain't happening with tall truck and a long boat.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Look up SeaEagle inflatable kayaks.  We had one and they are pretty rugged.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks to all for providing input.....as Big5er said "it ain't happening...."

Need to look closely at the Seaeagle..been looking at the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak, 2-Person Inflatable Kayak - anyone have one and have good words?

Thanks again to those that responded, always get a good response on this forum.....

Mark

2020 Momentum 376THS

I can easily carry a 14' canoe in my Toyhauler as it handles a 17' Full size van. 

Do you have a rear window in your 5th wheel that could've changed to an opening window to be able to put canoe inside the trailer?

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I have a high pressure inflatable (2 man) ,a folboat and a 5 segment kayak. I looked at vertical storage and it will not give you a decent length of boat ,certainly not a 2 person.

There are many joined, collapsable ,and some assembly required boats out there(port-a-boat). I get wanting to use what is already in your possession but a canoe is the least likely to work with a tall trailer and tall truck.

Believe it or not a port a boat will go under the trailer, about 4" thick.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

1 minute ago, hone eagle said:

I have a high pressure inflatable (2 man) ,a folboat and a 5 segment kayak. I looked at vertical storage and it will not give you a decent length of boat ,certainly not a 2 person.

There are many joined, collapsable ,and some assembly required boats out there(port-a-boat). I get wanting to use what is already in your possession but a canoe is the least likely to work with a tall trailer and tall truck.

Believe it or not a port a boat will go under the trailer, about 4" thick.

Yeah, Steve Dixon hauls one under his trailer (port a boat).

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

A friend of mine who is something between innovative and crazy solved his problem by sawing his canoe in half right across the center.  This was one of those Old Town ABS canoes - not aluminum or poly like a Coleman.  He then cut two identical pieces of 1/2" marine plywood for each of the now open center pieces.  Once the plywood was glued in he covered them with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin overlapping onto the canoe hull.  This gave him two 8' pieces that he could easily load.  Actually, he now had TWO short boats that could be used independently.  When he got to his water site he joined the two halves with stainless steel nuts and bolts through pre-drilled holes in the plywood sleeved with copper tubing that had been flared out on the ends to completely seal the holes.  The canoe performed as well as it did as a single piece.  I also have a 16' canoe that I have seriously thought about making the same modification to along with a flat part on one end to serve as a transom for an electric trolling motor.  But, I also own a 12' inflatable with insertable aluminum floor pieces and a 15 hp Mercury outboard.  The deflated boat is heavy at 120 pounds but it can be folded over the transom and strapped into a nice package that fits on the bed or a trailer hitch carrier.  The aluminum floor pieces go in the trailer behind the couch.    The motor and 3 gallon fuel tank go into any available storage compartment.  I have a very simple trailer that is only used for launching with our golf cart which we always carry on the back of the Volvo.  The launching trailer disassembles.  The inflatable has worked well other than a PITA assembling and disassembling.

Edited by RandyA

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

1 hour ago, RandyA said:

A friend of mine who is something between innovative and crazy

Sounds like someone I know.  Won't mention a name, but his initials are Charlie Lord.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Nope - not Charlie.  But, I guess it could be if he had a canoe. 😄  A few years back we were in Kearney Nebraska and went to Harold Warp's Pioneer Village museum/collection of "stuff".  There was a boat on display that he had built that was sort of like what I described but it was hinged so the two sides folded on top of one another and made a closed box that fit on a little trailer.  It was really neat.  So was the car that had two propellers sticking out the back near the exhaust that could be a boat or a car.  Now, that is something that would be neat to own.  Mark's question has got me thinking again about our old canoe.  I would like to be able to take it when we go to Florida so we could paddle around the marshes with the alligators.  The idea of making it into a two piece canoe is appealing since I know it can be done.  I have seen a rigid plastic kayak that can be taken apart in the middle but its method of joining is entirely different.  Still a very doable project.

Edited by RandyA

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

heck you can make a screen door float ,just bring a can of that wal-mart miracle sealer and some chicken wire.

reminds me of a story out of new zealand years ago ,a dude brought a bag or two of fero cement to the beach,

piled the sand into a boat shape -plastered it and he had a boat next day,end of vacation left it as a new 'reef'.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

On 7/10/2021 at 6:48 AM, hone eagle said:

HA great minds and all that.

my pac a yak is my fav for now, the 2 man when the admiral needs to come along.

Those look cool ... 

The two piece canoe joined by bulkheads would work too. 

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Oh boy...the damage I could do trying to cut my canoe in half...I really hate to part with my Old Town 16 footer though...

Still looking at this Porta Bote concept..

Mark

2020 Momentum 376THS

The Porta Bote is an extremely nice looking alternative.  I have seen a few strapped to the outside left side of a motor home and fifth wheel.  I spent a lot of time studying one at Camping World and then again at the East Coast Rally this past April.  There was one next to one of the cabins at Deer Run that caught my eye.  I would caution you against purchasing a Sea Eagle until you have had a chance to compare to other inflatables.  The Sea Eagle products I am familiar with are vinyl.  I do not know if this is true for the entire line or not.  The 12' inflatable we bought is 7 mil double coated PVC with 5 air chambers including the inflatable keel - the reason it weighs 121 pounds.  It is also rated for up to a 25 hp outboard - we have a 15 hp and it will plane nicely and reach a GPS speed of 22 mph.  Rowing it is not fun but very doable.  Moving any distance with a paddle is difficult.  We have used an electric trolling motor is some small lakes that do not allow gas outboards.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Randy,

Our Sea Eagle was K80 PVC also. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I've spent my entire life paddling "real" kayaks. I've never seen an inflatable that could maneuver like a a solid boat or even a skin on frame. The thought of leaving my 17ft carbon fiber boat behind has distressed me for many years. I'm leaning toward a pakayak. I just can't bring myself to buy an inflatable. 

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

I've spent my entire life paddling "real" kayaks. I've never seen an inflatable that could maneuver like a a solid boat or even a skin on frame. The thought of leaving my 17ft carbon fiber boat behind has distressed me for many years. I'm leaning toward a pakayak. I just can't bring myself to buy an inflatable. 

“I just can’t bring myself to buy an inflatable “.   Leaving yourself wide open their Phil.  🤣🤣

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

31 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

“I just can’t bring myself to buy an inflatable “.   Leaving yourself wide open their Phil.  🤣🤣

Will he retract or won't he? That is the question. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Carl, you've become a dirty old man........Much like the rest of us.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

well, since the conversation WAS about boats and not sex partners, I'll let you perverts have some fun. I should have known not to trust you guys to stay out of the gutter  LOL

2014 smart Fortwo

14 minutes ago, Big5er said:

well, since the conversation WAS about boats and not sex partners, I'll let you perverts have some fun. I should have known not to trust you guys to stay out of the gutter  LOL

Hey totally talking about kayaks……🙄🙄
p.s.  hope you’re doing well Phil.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3