US sends surge team to southwest Missouri after Delta variant fuels rise in cases and hospitalizations

2 hours ago, DanZemke said:

I see nothing wrong with the KN-95 masks that Kirk linked to.  I'm suggesting an alternative KN-95 because I've had lots of satisfied experience with them.

https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks/kn95-respirator-face-masks/

I am glad you are satisfied with them Dan but my objection to them would be the same as in Kirk's original mask link. They are made in CHINA. I hope my reply is polite enough since they last time I was spanked for rudeness. 

Chalkie,

I respect your opinion and see nothing wrong with honest responses, like your's.  But I'm not a moderator 🙂

With my economist's hat on (yes I have a BA in economics), most economists, believe that world-trade is a win/win situation for consumers.  For example, about two thirds of the world's semiconductors are currently produced in Taiwan.  Not because they cheated.  They invested more, and with some luck, created superior manufacturing capabilities.  How do we in the US benefit from this?  We consumers get better, and less expensive devices, like cellular phones, than we would have without without the Taiwan' manufacturing capabilities.

Which companies, and their employees lost?  An obvious example is Intel.  But after I graduated, the only company I worked for, was IBM.   IBM lost too, as well as many others.  They all bet wrong.

To be clear, I'm not, pro-China.  I am - pro US-consumer.

-------------------

This link provided a small bar graph when I first accessed it.  But it now results in a request for payment from me.  Hopefully it will work for you.  In any, the key point is Taiwan, 66%

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1037531/taiwan-global-semiconductor-market-share-by-operation/

Edited by DanZemke

15 hours ago, DanZemke said:

To be clear, I'm not, pro-China.  I am - pro US-consumer.

I think statement sums up my feelings for the most part. There are some things, however, that given a choice I will opt to buy made in the USA (even at a higher price), medical items comes under that category as I am simply not comfortable with the quality control. 

8 hours ago, Chalkie said:

There are some things, however, that given a choice I will opt to buy made in the USA (even at a higher price),

Buy American programs have been around a long time with very little impact because the majority will buy based mostly on price. A good example of this is the chorus of folks who attack Walmart for running local stores out of business, while they shop there because the prices are lower. We could keep local businesses open if we were only willing to pay the prices that result from US wages, compared to those in third world countries. 

I will never forget driving past the parking lot for a large GM plant in Arlington, TX and seeing the many imported cars of the union workers there. 

On 7/26/2021 at 9:30 AM, Chalkie said:

There are some things, however, that given a choice I will opt to buy made in the USA (even at a higher price), medical items comes under that category as I am simply not comfortable with the quality control. 

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  We appear to agree.  

Two nuances.  The masks I recommended did get FDA approval, which I verified last Spring when I first purchased them.  I've actually used them, and found them preferable to several others I tried. Shouldn't that make them the gold star standard? 🙂