2 WAY Radios in RVs

My 15yo Grand-Son and I are leaving on a three week cross country epic trip. We have CB and GMRS/FRS radios in the truck. He wants to place a sign on the back of the trailer telling folks we are monitoring certain channels. Are there any channels that RVs use for this type of thing?

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

I believe on CB they monitor channel 13

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

I do't know about GMRS or FRS, but I would monitor at last 19 and possibly 13 on CB. However having said that, one can obtain a "Tech" license easy enough, check one of the local ham radio clubs, just do a Google search or go to ARRL website and they will have the info on how to obtain a "ham license". The Tech will allow you to at least get on the 2 meter band and  the 70 centimeter band. You can pick up a decent dual band HT (Handy Talky) for a reasonable price. Major brands, Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, etc. Stay away from Boefang(?) etc, here are low quality and leave a lot to be desire. Besides, using a ham radio you have a lot more wattage available for transmitting. Both of you can take the test and be licensed ham radio operators! Hope I haven't confused you to much, but I would at least look into it.

73's Mike KN5P

Edited by roadhobos
change verbiage.

Baefong radios aren't the worst available, but some models leave a lot to be desired. They are available in dual band models, which are common locally.

CB usage is typically 13 for general RV conversations, and 9 and 19 for "emergency" use.

GMRS/FRS radios are mostly for talking to radios in your group, and have security protocols to prevent outside radios from listening. Of course, these need to be turned on, and most people use them as is.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, dartmouth01 said:

I don't know alot, but I do know that GMRS vehicle mount radios can go up to 50W in power, while the handhelds max out at 5W.  So, if looking for a GMRS, check out the vehicle mount options for more powah!

GMRS allows up to 50w whether base, mobile or hand, hand units are generally limited to 5 watts for safety. However, GMRS also requires a license. FRS which does share some GMRS channels and transmits at a maximum of 2w and does not require a license. CB has a maximum power of 4 watts and does not require a license either. FRS and CB transmit in different frequency bands as well. FRS is in the 462-467Mhz range which makes it sort of equivalent to the amateur 70cm band with a slightly shorter range due to both power and frequency limitations. CB transmits in what would be considered the 11m band if it were an amateur band.

An Amateur License would get more range and is a lot of fun. HTs generally max out at 5 watts for safety, but a mobile unit can transmit at up to 75 watts. When I got mine I got it with my son. It was a lot of fun studying together and we both passed the test on the first try.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

As somewhat of an aside, any of you experts have recommendations on $20-$30 handhelds that would be better than the Baofeng UV-5R?  Thats what I currently have as backup radios to lend out to others in any convoy I might be in, as I've had experience with radios not making it back to me.  I like the cost of the 5R's, but have wondered if there are any other brands/models I should be looking at for similar price.