Are signs of inflation becoming more common?

Sorry I missed including you Paul, you are also right. Supply and demand is the base of capitalism. I've never understood why those who don't like capitalism stay in such a country.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We have currently been seeing an excellent example of the supply & demand side of prices in our travels. We are in route back to TX from Escapade in western WY. Diesel prices have been averaging about 20¢/gallon less now than they were just 4 weeks ago when we traveled the other way. Supplies of diesel were down from the lack of demand during covid shut-down, so prices rose dramatically as travel surged with the improved situations but now that refineries are catching up with the demand, the prices are falling back to closer to where they were before covid. 

While inflation is one cause of price increases and is tied to the money supply, supply & demand is not inflation but it does cause a rise of fall in prices which can be just as important.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Diesel prices have been averaging about 20¢/gallon less now than they were just 4 weeks ago when we traveled the other way.

Another reason could be that OPEC increased output which caused a temporary drop in oil prices, but they are now creeping up again. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 7/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, Lou Schneider said:

The real root cause of today's price increases are the government handouts over the past year that increased the money supply, making each dollar worth less.

Nonsense.

Government "handouts" don't increase the money supply.  Our money supply is controlled by the Fed, by buying/selling US debt in the open market.

Please look at the history of the 10 year Treasury rate; https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/^TNX?p=^TNX

Click on the last 5 years and/or the max.

The price increases from 2020 to the present, have almost nothing to do with "handouts".  Recent real estate, semiconductor, fuel and lumber shortages are all about supply constraints.

Lou, I respect your electrical knowledge, but you are just plain wrong about this assertion.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Dan, early on I bought this book in paperback and still have it. I found it really enlightening for my how did we get here thoughts on economic schemas. I would recommend it to any interested in the micro and macro of economics:

The Lives And Times Of The Great Economic Thinkers

Scroll down and read the reviews. It's not what many think from the title.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV - thanks. 

I'm familiar with many of the concepts (I have a BA in Econ).  However, it looks like it would be a good read for me.  I decided to purchase a Kindle edition, that appears to be a later version by the same author.  The later version part wasn't important to me, the digital version was.  The price was $9.99

https://www.amazon.com/Teachings-Worldly-Philosophy-Robert-Heilbroner-ebook/dp/B00CLN5Q0I

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

YW,

I knew you had that background and you will like it. Another weirdly wonderful work I read in my teens was Max Weber and his work published in 1905.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I was in ACE hardware looking at faucet hose sprinkler timers - for the kind with two outlets, battery operated timer that attaches to a faucet.  (full timers can ignore this - probably won't make sense to you 🙂 )
ACE price was $45.00
Knowing that I could probably get it cheaper online I checked Amazon: $49.00
I checked Walmart: $50.00
Conclusion: ACE has yesterday's pricing (for the moment).

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich