Playmaker 7000 and Hopper 3

If I missed a thread about this please point me in the correct direction.

We have a Traveller on the roof but are having problems with trees(we are from AZ). Can I hook up a Playmaker to Hopper 3. All the threads I find are old so I don't trust the answers in them.

Thanks

There are no "dome" style automatic dishes that work with any of the Hopper series receivers. We use a tripod mounted full faced manually aimed dish with our Hopper.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We did that for 15 years with Direct, DH not interested. I guess he won't look at TV. I really don't care if we have it or not.

I did look into a streaming service but they are just as much as Dish, not worth it for something we won't use much. I thought streaming was suppose to be significantly less than satellite. I guess not.

Thanks guys.............

13 minutes ago, SWharton said:

We did that for 15 years with Direct, DH not interested. I guess he won't look at TV. I really don't care if we have it or not.

I did look into a streaming service but they are just as much as Dish, not worth it for something we won't use much. I thought streaming was suppose to be significantly less than satellite. I guess not.

Thanks guys.............

Streaming can be significantly cheaper than satellite depending on what programming you prefer.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch

2 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Streaming can be significantly cheaper than satellite depending what programming you prefer.

Don't forget to add in the massive cell data cost for streaming.  And streaming will only work where yo have good cell service.  You cannot depend on park WiFi for streaming.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

25 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

Don't forget to add in the massive cell data cost for streaming.  And streaming will only work where yo have good cell service.  You cannot depend on park WiFi for streaming.

Ken

I pay just under $50/month combined for unlimited data from ATT and Visible. I use a directional MIMO pair of Yagi antennas that typically outperform my $600 signal booster.

Edited by Dutch_12078
clarity

Dutch

We are not considering streaming. We tried Fubo on a free trial, worked OK but $65 a month was too much for us for a week of programming that we needed. I might just keep doing free trials as we need TV, just thinking about it for now.

I have 3 unlimited plans so no worries about data limit.

4 minutes ago, SWharton said:

We are not considering streaming. We tried Fubo on a free trial, worked OK but $65 a month was too much for us for a week of programming that we needed. I might just keep doing free trials as we need TV, just thinking about it for now.

I have 3 unlimited plans so no worries about data limit.

Check out some of the free streaming apps like Pluto, IMBD, STIRR, Xumo, BBC America, Sling Free, Roku Channel, Tubi, and others. If you have cable or satellite at home, there are a number of free apps available that use your cable login as well. A strong rainstorm has my satellite service out right now, so I'm streaming Bering Sea Gold with the free Stremium app instead.

Dutch

11 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Check out some of the free streaming apps

In addition to the ones already mentioned, we use Crackle, Film Rise, and Plex.   If you have Amazon Prime, there is a lot of content for streaming. Locast lets you stream local over the air stations in various locations across the country.

11 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

If you have cable or satellite at home, there are a number of free apps available that use your cable login as well.

Direct Tv account lets you stream your channels. I think Dish may let you do the same thing.

Edited by trailertraveler

I have been trying to figure out if Dish did or did not stream. Still working through the wordage with Dish. I haven't put much effort into it.We are stopped for 3 days as we don't want to travel on 4th of July weekend so maybe I'll get serious about figuring out Dish today.

We have Roku so that helps. The problem is we would like to look at current programs on various channels. If I could stream Dish the might be part of the solution.

Unless I am missing something(which I probably am) I would like to stream and record to my laptop like I do with Playon now. That may be pie in the sky though.

If you have Dish satellite service with the Hopper w/Sling or Hopper 3 receivers, then the free DishAnywhere app can be used to do most of the same things you can do directly with the Hopper. That includes viewing, recording, and playback of any channel you subscribe to. DishAnywhere works on Roku and FireTV devices, Android and iOS phones, and PC's. You do need good Internet service on both ends though.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch

DishAnywhere streams from the Hopper that receives its programming via satellite. There are a few channels available that can stream directly from the content provider though. Roku, FireTV, Android and iOS devices need the app. PC's just need a browser.

Dutch

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

DishAnywhere streams from the Hopper that receives its programming via satellite. There are a few channels available that can stream directly from the content provider though. Roku, FireTV, Android and iOS devices need the app. PC's just need a browser.

With Direct TV, the satellite receiver does not even need to be hooked up to stream channels in your subscription package. My Direct receiver is never connected to the internet or a network. Unfortunately the Direct app is not available on Roku. However, quite a few of the networks including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, USA, Bravo, TLC, etc. have apps for Roku. The two step sign in process includes a validation that the channel is included in your subscription. The validation seems to time out after a period of time which varies for each channel.

If I have a fast enough internet source and am not concerned about data usage, I can stream through the Roku devices or Roku TV. If I am concerned about data usage, I can stream the Direct TV app or the desired individual channel app on my phone or tablet and project that to the Roku device or Roku TV. The Roku does not need to be connected to the internet or a network to view the program streaming on the phone or tablet. Some phones and tablets (including most iphones) can connect by HDMI cable to the TV giving more reliable video transmission.

3 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

With Direct TV, the satellite receiver does not even need to be hooked up to stream channels in your subscription package. My Direct receiver is never connected to the internet or a network. Unfortunately the Direct app is not available on Roku. However, quite a few of the networks including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, USA, Bravo, TLC, etc. have apps for Roku. The two step sign in process includes a validation that the channel is included in your subscription. The validation seems to time out after a period of time which varies for each channel.

If I have a fast enough internet source and am not concerned about data usage, I can stream through the Roku devices or Roku TV. If I am concerned about data usage, I can stream the Direct TV app or the desired individual channel app on my phone or tablet and project that to the Roku device or Roku TV. The Roku does not need to be connected to the internet or a network to view the program streaming on the phone or tablet. Some phones and tablets (including most iphones) can connect by HDMI cable to the TV giving more reliable video transmission.

I can cast (or via HDMI cable) a lot of programming from my phone, tablet, or PC to the TV, but is that really any more efficient than streaming directly to FireTV or Roku devices? As for streaming DTV, can you stream your local OTA channels or recorded programs without the receiver connected to the Internet? Of course there are many individual content provider apps, but that's irrelevant to the question of streaming your satellite service's subscription programming.

Dutch

31 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I can cast (or via HDMI cable) a lot of programming from my phone, tablet, or PC to the TV, but is that really any more efficient than streaming directly to FireTV or Roku devices? As for streaming DTV, can you stream your local OTA channels or recorded programs without the receiver connected to the Internet? 

The advantage to mirroring (not casting) or HDMI for me is that it counts as on device data not hot spot or tethering data (I do not have an unlimited plan). Using the Roku requires using hot spot or tethering data if there is not another adequate internet source. It does not require a network connection. My receiver is never connected to the internet. I don't record anything and do not even know if my receiver is capable of recording.

31 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Of course there are many individual content provider apps, but that's irrelevant to the question of streaming your satellite service's subscription programming.

As I tried to explain, many of the apps for channels (ABC, CBS, Fox, etc.) that are included in my Direct TV subscription permit signing into their app on the cellphone or tablet or Roku using the sign in through your provider option. This option also provides streaming access to those with subscriptions to a number of cable providers such as Spectrum, Cox, Verizon and Xfinity. 

I use this method because Roku does not have a Direct TV app but, I can still access many of the content providers included in my Direct subscription using their Roku apps and the sign in method described above.

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I can cast (or via HDMI cable) a lot of programming from my phone, tablet, or PC to the TV, but is that really any more efficient than streaming directly to FireTV or Roku devices?

Another advantage for me is that it lets me access many of the channels in my Direct TV subscription on a second TV without a second receiver and the location of the second TV is not dependent on satellite signal compatible wiring. Not sure that mirroring is more efficient as it does have some challenges but my tablet does not support an HDMI cable.  

DishAnywhere of course, has the same advantage as far as serving a second TV goes.

I expect both the Dish and DTV apps serve their intended purpose well...

Dutch