Hard starting when facing uphill

hemsteadc

another thing you can check is just go around and snug up all the fuel line connections that you can get a wrench on. Another thing to look for that ive seen is those plastic or synflex fuel line will lay up against or on something on the chassis and rub through it starts as a very small pinhole and causes hard starting or low power until it gets so bad it wont start at all. If the system is allowed to draw in air in anywhere it will siphon back.  Some of the trucks with duel tanks had a valve in the return where the lines tee d and went to there respective tanks. It may have a rubber flapper and spring to prevent fuel drain back as well

That can be tricky. could be as simple as a fuel cap when I worked at freightliner there was a t/s flow chart for the tanks not equalizing don't remember the specifics. I would try googling it. I would bet the problems are related. the lower of the 2 tanks may have a plugged vent in the cap so not really building pressure but holding enough pressure that fuel goes to the other side. I believe the valve where the t on the return fuel side has a check valve in it as well as some kind of shuttle valve that works with the fuel caps to send the fuel to the lowest tank when working properly you can fill one side take off driving and they will equalize after  while. lines to return from t fitting have to be of similar length size and routing as not to add any resistance to flow difference.  if everything looks good i would try swapping caps from side to side and see what happens