Buying Parts

bibs

Hi, 

I have a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G. It's on the Workhorse chassis. When I go to the parts store to buy virtually anything (oil filter, battery, etc.) they want to know if the vehicle is a 1500, 2500, 3500 etc. What do I tell them for my model of RV to make sure I get the correct parts? It's been a bit hit and miss. For example, I got the correct battery, but I didn't get the correct oil filter in the last 2 weeks. My engine is an 8.1 liter vortec. 

Thanks,

Robert

Also try to get the number off the part you are trying to replace as they can just look it up by part number or cross reference chart if they are a good parts person. Problem is now most just want to enter it into the computer. I recently went to get spark plugs for my smart car and one of the questions they asked was does it have an electric motor, LOL. If had an electric motor, I wouldn't need spark plugs!

• 3 weeks later...

Here are 50 oil filters to fit a Chevy 8.1. Some are tall some are short, some in between, depending on vehicle configuration in engine compartment area. Thus they need to know vehicle model and year to sell the correct part.

Make a list of commonly used part names and ID numbers as you remove them. Use list to buy new parts. Virtually every auto parts store has a computerized cross-reference list for different mfgrs.