Turning Radius

Kevin211

Hello all,

We camp mainly in PA, and some states near by,  Where campgrounds are tight (nothing like you see out west where you have plenty of room) 

My fear is I pull the trigger on something like this and find out we can't make the campground spot.  I currently have a full size F-250 8Ft bed, I also drive Tractor Trailer so I understand backing-up, but you still need room to "swing" the truck around.

My question i guess is: having the hitch and king pin set so far back, Does this help you to get jacked faster and into location better, before you really need to "swing" the truck around. Or do we just do pull thru only once we go this route?

I would post what we are looking at, but somebody might get it before me...lol 

With a short wheelbase HDT and the hitch behind the rear axle you will be much more maneuverable than with your 250.  

I had the same worries as you.  I bought a Kenworth T2000 singled short.  It is only about 18 inches longer than my crew cab dually was.  However, with the 5th wheel hitch at the back of the frame, my overall length with the same 5th wheel increased by almost 8 feet.  The increased wheel cut of the HDT and having the pivot point behind the rear axle increased my maneuverability though.  

Our first trip out with the new set up was to a tight campground and a tight spot in that campground.  It had narrow roads which limited truck maneuverability.  We had been in the spot with the dually and 5th wheel previously so I was familiar with it and a bit worried.  It used to take multiple ins and outs to get the trailer into the spot with the dually.  When we arrived with the HDT and 5th wheel, I lined things up and started to back in.  I was able to get the trailer in on the first try pretty easily.  I was amazed how much difference the increased wheel cut and having the pivot point further back made even with 8 feet more length.

Since that time, I bought an even longer 5th wheel and can still get into that sight with no issues.  I have fit my rig into sites that others couldn’t get shorter trailers (with pick ups) into.

A long wheelbase HDT will be less maneuverable, but probably at least as good as a pick up.  It becomes a trade off of what you want to carry vs. how long(or short) your truck can be.

You have seen my set up and how long we are and I have had very little issue in any campsites in the area where you are and just think we received the same training for tractor trailers :D

We have personally sized ourselves out of some parks but is is because of the 5er size not the HDT. I have started using rv trip wizard and the filter for big rig access to plot our trips. We are quite pleased with the HDT and have towed with it for 12 years now (full timing for 11 1/2). 

Kevin

Yes, The location of the 5th wheel makes a lot of difference.   Do a test-on-the-desk. Take a pencell to use for your truck and hold it a different spots and turn it. Have one end be the 5th wheel and where you hold it is the rear axle. It works like a teeter-totter.

culbertson snow.jpg

On 6/30/2021 at 12:57 AM, Kevin211 said:

My question i guess is: having the hitch and king pin set so far back, Does this help you to get jacked faster and into location better, before you really need to "swing" the truck around. Or do we just do pull thru only once we go this route?

My 610 is singled mid; so its turning radius is a fair amount larger then if it was singled short. 

With that...  The 610 isn't nearly as maneuverable as the 2500 Ram Mega cab we also use for pulling the same 5er.  With either the hitch just above or 30" behind the axle.  Yes the hitch being rearwards helps alot.

But... We definitely don't only camp in pull through spots.  It has been our experience that an HDT with a good driver will fit if pickups fit with an ok driver.  Getting into spots hasn't been a hinderance.

Edited by steiny93
answered question

I often tell campground owners that if a dually/fiver combo will fit, I can make it.  Normally, I have no problems.   But once, in Monticello, UT I feared I maybe had bitten off too much.  Low branches prevented me from pulling into an area where duallies could fit to line up with the spot.  Of course I had an audience, so failure was not an option.......

We're tandem with the hicth about 30" behind the rear axle.