Good diesel shop in Tennessee

GlennWest

I have never done biz with them but know of them, they are well regarded as a dismantler.    Is the engine in question have a 30 day warranty?  

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I have never done biz with them but know of them, they are well regarded as a dismantler.    Is the engine in question have a 30 day warranty?  

Steve

180 days. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

9 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Do any of you know anything about Vander Haggs? They have a 12.7 ddec 5 with 509k miles $6500. 

I have bought body parts and a fuel cap from Vander Haggs in Des Moines, IA. I know they have other locations. I was able to walk the yard after the first trip out to check some things out with the aid of a tech and a motorized wheeled vehicle of some type. Did a removal of a side marker light and a fuel cap. Had to make two trips for the fuel cap, they looked close to the same but were not. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Don't think I would save anything with the used motor. Lot more labor involved. Good as my truck runs i may not rebuild head. Will talk with mechanic about it. I likely never put 100k miles on truck.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

19 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Don't think I would save anything with the used motor. Lot more labor involved. Good as my truck runs i may not rebuild head. Will talk with mechanic about it. I likely never put 100k miles on truck.

I think that's an excellent choice. It's a LOT of labor to swap engines and then it might easily fail catastrophically in a year or two. Your best bet is an in-frame with factory heads and a full warranty. Jay

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Yes, and it good for another 800k, which it never will see. I need it to last roughly 100k. 

I totally get that. My concern is about fixing it twice. I had a Cat 3406b about 25 years ago. We did the very minimum to keep it running, a liner, rings and some other parts. That was 5k. If you swap a used engine, that's probably at least 10k. I'd spend just a bit more and do an in-frame. I understand there's not an obvious answer. I just did an in-frame on my N14, but I'll likely put another 300k miles on it. Good luck with whatever you decide. Jay

This has got me looking at MTDs. My DW insist on her own car and I don't blame her. I am gone all day working. But finding rv parks that accommodate us is daunting. I would be forced to drive the mtd to work and back. Get rid of the Smartcar. Got a lot to think on. 

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

This has got me looking at MTDs. My DW insist on her own car and I don't blame her. I am gone all day working. But finding rv parks that accommodate us is daunting. I would be forced to drive the mtd to work and back. Get rid of the Smartcar. Got a lot to think on. 

I thought I wanted a 4 door MDT before buying the Volvo I have. It would have been one of the worst mistakes and am glad I didn't do it. Is my Volvo perfect? No. For most of us who travel only for work and have our truck sit for months at a time it would be more cost effective to have a good late model rental we could use to make the moves and then let someone else move theirs, until it's time to move again. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Have you priced rentals lately?

Have never found one to price, especially for my need. Move 500 to 1000 miles and then turn drop it off. Sort of like one way auto rentals which I hear are through the roof right now as far as pricing. Hoping my 2001 lasts quite a bit longer. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

11 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I have seen smart cars on the back of MDT too. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

6 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

I have seen smart cars on the back of MDT too. 

I have not. That would be a long bed. Would be back to 3 vehicles again. Same situation 

I think you would be very disappointed by an MDT after having an HDT.     From power to ride and there are still the same emission issued to deal with.     

If your truck is in reasonable shape, the devil you know.      Do you idle a lot?     or did the truck idle a lot while in service?      I would still think doing an in-frame is the most effective solution.       I would consider an engine swap myself but I have a the shop to do it in, paying labor on that gets expensive.       Selling your truck and buying something else is always a gamble.     What looks good on paper and in statistics is only an educated guess.    Even brand new out the door is no assurance it will be trouble free.

The one thing I would be concerned about doing a rebuild is BREAK IN.     As mentioned earlier, the engine need to have a load to seat rings and miles.    A few hundred mile trips at light load would take a very long time to get results at best or detect any problems.     The last part is most concerning, even the best warranty from a shop you trust may expire before an issue comes to light.      That is one of the things I wonder about with folks that buy new?      Issues come up with trucks in service running 100K miles a year.    At a tiny fraction of that annual mileage and long intervals of sitting an RV truck has time against it with regard to warranty coverage.     

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

An inframed engine can have an initial break in done on a chassis dyno (or engine dyno) operated by someone who knows how to do pull downs with the dyno vs the run it to the redline to see how much power it can “make” for 5 seconds type run. 
Our shop used a chassis dyno and run engines to check for temperatures, leaks, and then 3 or 4 pull down runs gradually increasing loads to full ratings. 
What makes a really nice break in is if you can let the engine cool down between runs.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

29 minutes ago, noteven said:

An inframed engine can have an initial break in done on a chassis dyno (or engine dyno) operated by someone who knows how to do pull downs with the dyno vs the run it to the redline to see how much power it can “make” for 5 seconds type run. 
Our shop used a chassis dyno and run engines to check for temperatures, leaks, and then 3 or 4 pull down runs gradually increasing loads to full ratings. 
What makes a really nice break in is if you can let the engine cool down between runs.

My Volvo shop has a dedicated trailer with a good bit of weight that is used to do hard pulls to break in their rebuilt engines. It seems to work - mine is doing fine a couple years later and I don't really ever pull a lot of weight. Jay

Jay - one of my imaginary inventions is a dyno trailer - the lead trailer axle would be a drive axle with it's driveline connected to a dyno in the trailer or a set of Telma retarders. 

Controls in the truck cab. 

Add resistance as needed put a load on the engine. 

Portable. 

Works on flat land. 

29 minutes ago, noteven said:

Jay - one of my imaginary inventions is a dyno trailer - the lead trailer axle would be a drive axle with it's driveline connected to a dyno in the trailer or a set of Telma retarders. 

Controls in the truck cab. 

Add resistance as needed put a load on the engine. 

Portable. 

Works on flat land. 

That sounds pretty awesome! Let us know when you have it ready. Maybe Glenn can be the first test subject.. Jay

On 7/4/2021 at 6:20 PM, rickeieio said:

Fitzgerald has multiple locations with the one in Livingston being the glider side.  I called some of their stores when I was truck shopping.  I know they have at least one Peterbilt store and perhaps Kenworth too.

Buddy of mine has rebuilt dozens of those Fitzgerald engines. Most just out of warranty. 5 still in warranty. With the junk there putting in those engines. Most will not even let them touch an engine anymore.

They were even building 500+HP engines with 11.1 Blacks without potion coolers. Know of over 25 of there last couple of year builds. That has not given anything but issues. Sad they allowed profit to come before quality.

event.png

21 minutes ago, Pete Kildow said:

Buddy of mine has rebuilt dozens of those Fitzgerald engines. Most just out of warranty. 5 still in warranty. With the junk there putting in those engines. Most will not even let them touch an engine anymore.

They were even building 500+HP engines with 11.1 Blacks without potion coolers. Know of over 25 of there last couple of year builds. That has not given anything but issues. Sad they allowed profit to come before quality.

Which is why I only use an authorized factory shop and factory parts. The extra $$$ are worth the peace of mind. Jay

Fitzgeralds are no longer in the glider business.  The EPA has phased out the new glider with an old emission level engine business completely I believe.

Fitzgeralds are a Peterbilt dealer with 5 or 6 locations. 

• 1 month later...

Update. I went under truck to hang my catch bucket. That not the problem. Soaking wet with oil around filters. Had oil changed in Texas and hadn't been far with till now. Got leak.