Good diesel shop in Tennessee

GlennWest

I really need to get on in frame on my truck. Power is fine but just too much bypass. Gets oil on camper, ramps. Makes a mess. I would like to fine a good local mechanic that won't hurt pocketbook too badly. Had some picked out close to Livingston but know of no one here. We are staying in Clarksville. Will be here for at least 2 months. Maybe little more.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J&K Truck repair in Crossville, TN about 100 miles from you has done a lot of work for me and others. Seem to do a good job and cheaper than dealer. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Rick Jennings (RickandAlana) had a new motor put in somewhere close to there, maybe he will see this and chime in. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Called a mechanic I know in Huntington TX. He said 12-14k for an inframe. The interesting part of our discussion was parts availability. He stated one he doing now had to get aftermarket parts and a piece here and a piece there. Can't even get detroit parts now. The lockdown has really hurt. Think I will get a jug and put steel wool inside and put it over downdraft tube till I get back that way. Trying to keep it off of Teton. Considering building back as a 12.7. Block the same. Was going to talk to him about it. Know it should increase mpg. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

jzmMmGEl.png

On 6/29/2021 at 3:34 PM, GlennWest said:

Thanks. Believe I came right by them coming in. Will give them a call. update. They don't do in frames.

I just had them do an overhead adjustment on our Detroit 14L but we were not blowing oil out.  Are you sure it needs an inframe? 

Have you contacted a Freightliner dealer to see if they would do it? 

Maybe also try Fitzgerald Truck Service

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Really it shouldn't but it really blowing oil. I moved it yesterday. Young person having a difficult time backing in so I moved to get him more room.  Just sitting there waiting for air pressure it left an oil patch on grass. it had been just making a smutty patch. This was wet. Just on their site and all that is mentioned is gliders. You sure they do drive in units.

Edited by GlennWest

52 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Really it shouldn't but it really blowing oil. I moved it yesterday. Young person having a difficult time backing in so I moved to get him more room.  Just sitting there waiting for air pressure it left an oil patch on grass. it had been just making a smutty patch. This was wet. Just on their site and all that is mentioned is gliders. You sure they do drive in units.

Check with them and ask. Considering the whole point of their business is to rebuild pre-emissions engines and install them in brand new gliders, I would think they would be very experienced at engine building and would have strong after service support. Jay

I would really like it to become a 12.7. The software concerns me though if it is possible. Being it is an ultrashift might prevent it. They likely know. I will check with them. Like the nation wide service for warranty. If I go with an independent shop, have to return to him if problem. I get 6-7mpg now.

6 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Check with them and ask. Considering the whole point of their business is to rebuild pre-emissions engines and install them in brand new gliders, I would think they would be very experienced at engine building and would have strong after service support. Jay

We toured their facilities at the ECR 9-10 years ago.  They had Detroit’s, Cummins and a few Cats sitting around for installation in their gliders.  Their favorite was rebuilding Detroits so I’m sure if it can be done they could do it. Let me say those motors they had rebuilt were impressive and looked absolutely brand new.

Glenn, I didn’t know they rebuilt on the side, I thought only for their gliders, but that is where I’d go.  Maybe they will just take a trade in of your old and some cash to get what you want.  I do know we asked about automatic tranies on the tour and at that time they were only mating to manuals.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I am fairly sure mine ddec V. I know it has to be compatible with the ultrashift computer. Don't see why they would not work as long as injectors are compatible with ddec V.  Looking at used motors, not saying going this route, They do make 12.7 ddec V. It should be a direct swap. 

Edited by GlennWest

I would carefully review any shop that you choose.     The rebuild kits used vary in quality, Federal Mogul and Mahle are the best PAI the worst.     Regarding the place that built up gliders, they have a spotty reputation for warranty claims and coverage.    Also their DDEC programs seem to over fuel at idle and possibly smoke excessively.    There are good/bad stories about all vendors, the one above included.     Time period and relevance to your situation are key indicators of due diligence.     

Regarding used engine/rebuild in an RV were the vehicle sits and mileage is low per month a 3/300K warranty may only be worth a fraction of its value in a practical terms.      You are paying the protect against issues you may never see due to time/mileage.      There are a lot of issues with rebuilds at 60~200K miles.    How many years would it take just to break in a new engine?     Break in periods of 15~50K miles.

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

29 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I would carefully review any shop that you choose.     The rebuild kits used vary in quality, Federal Mogul and Mahle are the best PAI the worst.     Regarding the place that built up gliders, they have a spotty reputation for warranty claims and coverage.    Also their DDEC programs seem to over fuel at idle and possibly smoke excessively.    There are good/bad stories about all vendors, the one above included.     Time period and relevance to your situation are key indicators of due diligence.     

Regarding used engine/rebuild in an RV were the vehicle sits and mileage is low per month a 3/300K warranty may only be worth a fraction of its value in a practical terms.      You are paying the protect against issues you may never see due to time/mileage.      There are a lot of issues with rebuilds at 60~200K miles.    How many years would it take just to break in a new engine?     Break in periods of 15~50K miles.

Steve  

Steve you make a lot of sense. I have only put 15k on mine since I bought it. May put more on after retirement. The guy I know in Huntington TX used to work with detroit and knows these engines. Has a great reputation. quoted me 12-14k. 14k will be a block sleeve seat repair. Stated that is rare though. He was surprised I only have 780k and this much blow by. But he is serious about parts availability. Hopefully that will remedy itself by the time I get back to Texas. He only wants Detroit parts. Mahle pistons is what I ran in my race cars. FM bearings also. Know they made top of the line back then on gas. Question, if I had air pump problem and it going in motor , would I not have slow building air? It went from some blowing smut to blowing oil very quickly. I figured a ring broke. Power is good and cranks good.

Edited by GlennWest

Fitzgerald has multiple locations with the one in Livingston being the glider side.  I called some of their stores when I was truck shopping.  I know they have at least one Peterbilt store and perhaps Kenworth too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

57 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Steve do you think a used engine might be a better way to go. You are correct it would take me years to break it in. I am finding some ddec5 engines 550k miles for 7k.

Honestly Glenn,

If your mechanic in Texas is someone you trust, let him do a compression and leak test.    You may just need a cylinder pack.     Especially as a low mile user a fix like that could last the entire time you use your rig.     We all want to have the peace of mind that everything will last a long time.    The uncertainty in life means we can only hope and guess.

Even a brand new factory engine is no guarantee, a low or mid mile used engine with good oil numbers and compression is about as reliable a stab in the dark gets.     On the Truckers Report you read about folks with rebuild that blow heads, drop liners, overheat, smoke etc.     You were into racing, remember expect the unexpected.      Have someone you trust give you their suggestion.     Now bull gears on Detroit's are another issue, maybe fix the bad cylinder and do a front drive refresh.

Steve    

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Would not a shop where Glenn is currently located be able to do a compression and leak test?  At least you would know what the problem may be.  You don't have to commit to the shop that does the test.

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

16 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Honestly Glenn,

If your mechanic in Texas is someone you trust, let him do a compression and leak test.    You may just need a cylinder pack.     Especially as a low mile user a fix like that could last the entire time you use your rig.     We all want to have the peace of mind that everything will last a long time.    The uncertainty in life means we can only hope and guess.

Even a brand new factory engine is no guarantee, a low or mid mile used engine with good oil numbers and compression is about as reliable a stab in the dark gets.     On the Truckers Report you read about folks with rebuild that blow heads, drop liners, overheat, smoke etc.     You were into racing, remember expect the unexpected.      Have someone you trust give you their suggestion.     Now bull gears on Detroit's are another issue, maybe fix the bad cylinder and do a front drive refresh.

Steve    

Actually the later 12.7 used the bullgear of the 14L. It is smaller and gives less trouble. I think most of the horror stories on inframes are when deck sleeve holes need machining and they skip over it. Mechanic I know does this if needed. I do believe the egr did my motor in. They are bad for a diesel. Do believe I will hand a jug under downdraft tube and go to mechanic I know and trust

11 minutes ago, usbusin said:

Would not a shop where Glenn is currently located be able to do a compression and leak test?  At least you would know what the problem may be.  You don't have to commit to the shop that does the test.

Actually the injectors have to come out for a compression test. Not a simple job. It starts like a new truck. It does not act like a compression problem. But it is pushing oil out of downdraft tube. enough that it gets on our Teton.

For what its worth, I have a coffee can with some steel wool on my vent pipe.     1.3 million miles, uses a quart every 10K.     It runs great otherwise.     My lil Cat is an early Acert which is a Miller cycle but no EGR.     I salute you folks with emission systems, I am not that brave.

Steve

9 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

For what its worth, I have a coffee can with some steel wool on my vent pipe.     1.3 million miles, uses a quart every 10K.     It runs great otherwise.     My lil Cat is an early Acert which is a Miller cycle but no EGR.     I salute you folks with emission systems, I am not that brave.

Steve

Mine is just egr but that is bad enough. Mine uses more than yours. I started to buy a C15. Factory singled. Sorta wished I had. It was a Kenworth and likely a better truck. The accert engine rason didn't.

Edited by GlennWest