Upgrading hitch....

trimster

Those who have seen the pics of my current hitch, or put eyes on it at the WCR, know that 'Huston,  we have a problem '. 

I'm in the Roadmaster neighborhood so I thought I'd upgrade to the 245. Don't think I'll get a trailer in the future that will exceed it's capacity. 

I'll feel so much better with a real hitch holding stuff together. They will do the installation. 

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Found this one close. It's a 2008 TS3

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tro/d/oregon-city-5th-wheel-hitch/7342015631.html

Thoughts. 

It is a few years old. Last owner has it for 4 yrs but only went out 5 times.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Anyone mounted a Trailer Saver TS3 to an HDT? Use standard mounting rails? Or something beefier?

I'm now researching a shop to install it in Albany,  Or.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

16 hours ago, MoneyMakeranch said:

good luck on whichever hitch you decide on.   maybe well cross paths at one of the rallies and compare trucks.

Me   2012 Volvo 780 

Thanks for the help. I didn't think about hitting up Craigs List.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

47 minutes ago, trimster said:

Anyone mounted a Trailer Saver TS3 to an HDT? Use standard mounting rails? Or something beefier?

I'm now researching a shop to install it in Albany,  Or.

Yes, we mounted ours using standard mounting rails on a 1/2 plate.  We have been hauling a 20,000 DRV for 5 years without any problems, the airbags are filled to 65 lbs.  The Hitch was used on our dually for 5 years before mounting on the Volvo.  We installed addition rails so we could move it up closer when not hauling anything on the deck.

Safe travels Bob  

Edited by Radar274

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

I installed an Air Safe hitch on an HDT, didn't use standard rails, used 3x6x1/2 steel tubes.  The tubes were bolted to the top plate on the HDT, then the hitch was bolted to the tubes.  Worked very well in that I could adjust the hitch location via swapping out different length of tubes.

Very very easy

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

I have to say this. I have the ET Hitch by Henry. Actually Henry built mine. My Teton rides so smooth. Nothing gets out of place. I never had this good a ride with other hitches. Even the air ride hitch I had on my dually didn't ride this smooth. There is zero back and forth/chucking movement like most hitches have. Henry really nailed this with his design. It does come at a high price but is well worth it. I just made over a 1k mile trip. Over some rough places too. Lots of construction. Nothing is out of place. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I mounted a Trailer Saver hitch before Henry started selling his hitches.  It was used and I have had to do some things to keep it going including a new hitch head.  I added the 3rd bag.. To increase the weight on the rear axles I mounted it on 1/2" plate.  Our Teton is heavy on the hitch, about 6,000 pounds+.  It rides pretty good about like Glenn described his hitch. I do think Henry's is a better design but the cost to change is not worth it to me.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

2 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

I  do think Henry's is a better design but the cost to change is not worth it to me.

This is my logic as well. I'll probably get the hitch for $850 and put another $300 in materials + labor to mount it up. Way cheaper than the Comfort Ride + install. 

I drive up to see the hitch later this afternoon. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

We've been pulling with the 3 bag TrailerSaver on our 770 for 8 or 9 years.  No issues. We have a 5x5x5/8" angle bolted to the inside of the frame rails, then the hitch bolted to the angles.

Put a leveling valve on it and do away with the gauge.  Several of us have done it, Geodog, Paul G, and myself.  Likely others too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

24 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

We've been pulling with the 3 bag TrailerSaver on our 770 for 8 or 9 years.  No issues. We have a 5x5x5/8" angle bolted to the inside of the frame rails, then the hitch bolted to the angles.

Put a leveling valve on it and do away with the gauge.  Several of us have done it, Geodog, Paul G, and myself.  Likely others too.

Possible that you could send a photo or two of the way you have it mounted?

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I have three pictures that show what you're asking, and can't figure out how to get them here.  They're on google drive.  I even tried to email them to you.  No luck.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Finally resorted to pulling the pics up on the screen, taking pictures of the pics, and emailing them.

This whole google drive thing is a pita.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Finally resorted to pulling the pics up on the screen, taking pictures of the pics, and emailing them.

This whole google drive thing is a pita.

Rickeieio. Paste a link to the drive location. In other words, move your cursor up to the address bar at the top of the screen. Left click to turn the address blue. Right click, then select "Copy" Come back here, "Paste" in the reply window. Submit reply.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I re-sent using the computer rather than my phone.  We'll see.......

Our hitch has mounting flanges on the side plates, not the fixtures for attaching to the rails.  I would think any welding shop would be able to make your fit just fine.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Found a local fab shop.  Scheduling is the issue now. Always something.  But we can extend our site here.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Hitch installed. Whooohooo!

The shop did a great job and did it in essentially one day (picked up the truck 10am the next day). Went above and beyond. If you need work done in the Albany, Oregon area.... Sheet Metal Solutions. Big operation that knows what they are doing.

I was a rush job, they squeezed in. Only $920 out the door. I was expecting way more. Like most places out here, cash saves you 3%+ credit card fee.

0BEcRHfl.jpg

They built a platform that can be removed if I change hitches down the road. But this hitch mounts on typical rails so welded to the riser frame are beefy rails.

9JvKfxrl.jpg

I've done a test hook to the trailer and the height seems to be spot on. We'll pull the hell out of it Friday as we move to the coast of Washington. Looking forward to watching a hitch in the camera that does not flex all over the place and helps with chucking.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

5 hr pull yesterday from Albany,  or. to Ocean Park, WA. On the coast where it's mucho cooler.  

Beat the snot out of the hitch. Up hill, down hill with hard braking, bad roads (the ones that take your seats full-range), and nothing broke. Nice!

Watched my hitch-cam. This Trailer Saver was taking the brunt of it with seeming little effort. Does take a load off ones mind knowing the hitch part of the system is up to snuff.

I do want to extend the Schrader valve to an easier location to reach. Maybe the auto leveling valve upgrade might be the trick. Hmmmm.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg