We've found a new much less expensive provider for Voice and data.

RV_

16 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Mi esposa used to teach Spanish and said that she had heard this and decided it was a myth.

Ken

Ken she's right, it is myth. And it affects the z more than the S. That's why the question mark, like (I know right?). If anyone wants to get into the true story it is here: Phonological history of Spanish coronal fricatives

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_Spanish_coronal_fricatives

Then there's Basque?

I find it amazing that humans with less distance than a US state, and here too, can drift so much. The Germans also have a more formal high German, and the Cockney versus the "King's English" cane have difficulty understanding each other. If you go to New Orleans you'll find a lower income area where they speak with a Bronx accent just like New York, and a few blocks over there's Cajun English like Justin Wilson, the Cajun comedian.

Some Americans generally don't get there are all races/accents/cultures in every country just the percentages change. Most are amazed that the Russian expulsion of the Jews seen in the play/move "Fiddler On The Roof," resulted in Jewish cowboys in Argentina which only in the last few decades have declined in number. Growing Up in Stamford CT from age 7-18 I was surrounded by pretty much all races with a predominance of Italian, Jewish, Irish, Puerto Ricans, Polish and German cultures, and languages. But I learned from the foods! The best Pizza places were owned by Greeks back then in my area, and Arabs opened Greek restaurants. Kosher Delicatessen food was to die for. Freshly made up herring in cream sauce/smoked whitefish, Nova Salmon, Pastrami, yum! And of course the Italian food.    

I love other cultures and their food and churches, so much good stuff and fascinating history.

But the lisping king appears to be a myth.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Mi esposa used to teach Spanish and said that she had heard this and decided it was a myth.

Ken

Tu esposa tiene razón. My wife is natively bilingual (born in Argentina, raised in Costa Rica, lived in Spain for 10 years as an adult and another 7 back in CR). She has masters degrees in education and Spanish and also studied at the University of Madrid. OK - credentials out of the way. She says that the Spanish King Ferdinand theory is widespread but it's urban legend. A more academic explanation is this:

Castilian Spanish of the Middle Ages had originally two distinct sounds for what we now think of as the "lisp": the cedilla, and the z as in "dezir". The cedilla made a "ts" sound and the "z" a "dz" sound. Both in time were simplified into the "lisp", or what Spaniards call the "ceceo."

Interestingly, with her gift and ear for languages, she picked up the "lisp" while living in Spain. When she moved back to CR, her friends there told her to drop it (in no uncertain terms). To many Spanish speakers in the new world, the "lisp" reeks of colonialism. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

15 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Graag gedaan, Derek!

Oh yeah, the mixed language dialects are even worse! I didn't mention Dutch or Afrikaans in my language skills since I don't feel my fluency in them is as good as the others. I did manage fairly well while in country where I needed them though. At least the restaurants usually got my meal orders right.. :) 

Dutch, I know that feeling. I am fine if I spend a few months in country and get some practice again. But I have had little practice since we visited Colombia for two years when I was five and six and had to go to K and first grade in Spanish because they started school a year younger than here. My pronunciation is excellent but my verb conjugations are gone as well as a lot of my vocabulary. My German is OK for travel in Europe but everyone speaks English there better than many of us here! So they switch rather than hear my accent.

My French increased a lot when we started ski trips to places like Albertville with five valleys and we skied them all basing at Val Thorens with Le Trois Valle being a lot of fun and the and Val Thoren for their week long specials. https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/les-3-vallees-val-thorensles-menuiresmeribelcourchevel/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Back to the topic:

I just bought two new unlocked Motorola One 5G Ace 6GB RAM 128GB storage phones unlocked at BestBuy because they dropped the price to $329.99. It will also handle 1TB SD card (Standard now I know.)

I had the Sim cards in our old Motorola Z3s on US Mobile. The BestBuy lady popped mine in and they activated when turned on. That easy.

So we backed up my old phone to Google and then downloading it all to the new phone, it took all night doing updateswhen I wasn't using it.

I realized that it had never been this easy to start up a new phone on a new service. Heck! we just tried to go to T-Mobile and they had free for new customers phones and they could not make their sim cards, work with their new free Samsung (A-32) phones. No service or on and mostly off again. So we were gone in 5 days. Went to Straight Talk just for a month to have service, which we had been out of for three days straight and a couple more barely working. I did my research and found the prices on US mobile to be really low for Verizon Towers.

This update is that if you have Moto Z3 phones with Verizon, that the Best Buy unlocked Verizon phone you can buy outright, the Moto One 5G Ace 6GB 128GB, is totally compatible -that there are no issues with messages or services we found.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I hear ya Glenn. We've been Motorola ever since the Microsoft abandonment of Windows phones which we loved on Verizon. Lumia 735s are still great looking with OLED screens etc.

We started with the first Z phones that had mods to change them that attached magnetically on the back where their contacts are made. Moto Z play and bought two wireless charging back covers, the Pico Projector mod, the JBL Speaker Mod.

If you've never owned a Motorola they are really Lenovo phones now. You'll like them. I like the minimal added bloatware with real useful gestures like the hatchet flashlight and the shake instant camera activation without signing in helping catch those quick shots many miss fiddling to turn their camera on but keep their eyes on whatever it is.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I know the feeling. I would take my Lumia 735 with Windows mobile phones to Android anytime. But we got abandoned! 😕

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 8/26/2021 at 7:20 PM, RV_ said:

I hear ya Glenn. We've been Motorola ever since the Microsoft abandonment of Windows phones which we loved on Verizon. Lumia 735s are still great looking with OLED screens etc.

We started with the first Z phones that had mods to change them that attached magnetically on the back where their contacts are made. Moto Z play and bought two wireless charging back covers, the Pico Projector mod, the JBL Speaker Mod.

If you've never owned a Motorola they are really Lenovo phones now. You'll like them. I like the minimal added bloatware with real useful gestures like the hatchet flashlight and the shake instant camera activation without signing in helping catch those quick shots many miss fiddling to turn their camera on but keep their eyes on whatever it is.

Need to pick your brain. My new Motorola ringer volume control is also alerts. They are the same. I don't want an alarm every time I get an email or such but yes ring for phone call. Is yours like this?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

RV. I have been following your posts in this thread but have some questions. Everyone has different needs. Even part time rv'rs often need lots of data due to streaming. Most do not want to fool around with cables. So Hotspot usage csbe a necessity.  Other than visible  most carriers use the term unlimited  to mean it is unlimited but after a certain usage it slows down to almost dial up. Does us mobile do any of the above? Typically mvno's do not provide roaming on non Verizon towers.  Some users of mvno get slower service when the towers are busy. Native users have priority.  Does the above apply to US MOBILE?  Thanks 

I asked this and they said there is no throttling or caps to their unlimited plan.

We have the same priority as their highest tier Unlimited plan - no slowdown AFAIK. We had Verizon here and it seemed to have minor issues or delays during drive time here in Colorado Springs. We had their lowest tier unlimited plans

I would call them because you will like that your call gets answered within about 5 seconds after the 10 second automated system speech: 878-205-0088.

And you can ask any more you might have. They don't do hotspots but I can stream from my US Mobile LTE sim card with my tablet unlimited. If I cable to my TV then I can watch it there.

Their website is here: https://www.usmobile.com/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

YW Bobby

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998