We've found a new much less expensive provider for Voice and data.

RV_

We switched from Verizon (2 unlimited lines totaling $102.00 a month after Military discounts) because they offered no upgrade phones/plans and  went to T-Mobile about a month ago and got two new Samsung A32 phones. Five days later we tried to turn them in for a refund and they still have not refunded more than $80! Why? Because they could not get their own phones to work at all for us except for a few minutes in the T-Mobile store where we got them. I spent three to five hours there a day until I gave up.

So we learned that Verizon requires us to be gone for 60 days to get the free phones and new unlimited plans.

Rather than give in and go back we went to Straight Talk (ST) who we knew had Verizon towers that worked with Verizon unlocked phones. Picked up two unlimited $35.00 cards at WalMart which cost almost $80 after sales taxes. Our phones (Motorola Z3)were up and running in 30 minutes and all texts etc. were as stable and fast as with Verizon.

So resigned to two months of ST until we could check for better deals at Verizon we found an MVNO called US Mobile. THey offered one unlimited Verizon line with no throttling or slow downs for $45 a month. Two lines like we need for $30 each a month, and three lines for $25 a month.

We had Disney Plus streaming for free with Verizon for 6 months but now US Mobile offered free Disney or Hulu etc free as long as you have three lines and two streaming services for four lines.

So I did the math. Three lines are $25 each and (all taxes fees included in the $25) we get a free subscription to Disney PLus etc for that. So I subtract the $7 for it from the cost and my three lines cost $68 a month ($75-$7 for Disney = $68)since we were about to start Disney Plus again anyway.

It just so happens I did buy a Microsoft Surface Go 2 10" with LTE Cell and SIM card capability built in. So I will get my SIM Card for it tomorrow Saturday and set it up. I justified this to my Significant Harassment of 48 years as if the power ever goes out at home we will have a bgger screen to watch until the power comes back on.

So far. I got our US Mobile SIM cards in and had both phones up and running with unlimited no throttling data and voice and text all working perfectly on Verizon towers seemingly as fast or faster than before!

I'll update after setting up the Windows Tablet tomorrow and see how that works as I have not owned/ordered a cellular data capable tablet before.

So essentially we are getting unthrottled unlimited data and all for three devices at $75 minus the 7 bucks or so for Disney. I may do Hulu or Net5flix if it is the ad free 14.99 and save more.

These plans, ( US Mobile Plans ) seem ideal for RVrs AND stationaries. As well they have even less expensive plans which still qualify for the perks.

I have only had them for a few days and only on the phones, so don't consider this a recommendation until I have the Surface Go up and running and am on my second month.

If anyone here has an LTE Surface Go2 I would appreciate any tips on using it.

One more thing. T-Mobile and Dell have customer service reps that have heavy accents and talk in sing song inflections that I have real difficulty understanding. T-Mobile is the worst accents followed by Dell. Both terrible when you get a heavy accent. My high freq hearing loss from the military makes it hard fro me to understand some syllables from my fellow Americans! So having understandable customer service reps is very important for me. Of the five or so reps I talked to at US Mobile all were very understandable as if they were from here. Accents but slight or very British.

I'll update along the way.

If anyone jumps the gun use my code and we both save ten bucks!

Share the savings you get $10.00 and I get $10.00 if they join using my code:

AWLJGAB

That's all for now.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested to see how this pans out. According to what I am seeing they are only in 28 states, which for a traveler could mean a lot of roaming. 

Side note: While there is no legal basis for one to ask for an American English speaker I have found with T-Mobile and Dell both (as I do business with both) that if I am having difficulty understanding, I apologize, and ask to speak to someone different. I then get someone I can understand and I have done something else. I used to work in a call center market. Trust me when I say (at least for the company I worked for) if and agent got complaints that they could not be understood they were moved to another market group or terminated. It may be outsourced but the company hiring is keenly aware of pissing off the customer. 

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

An aside on your high frequency loss: My VA supplied Siemens Signia hearing aids do an excellent job of correcting my HF loss, and using the supplied SteamLine Mic device to connect them to my Android phone via Bluetooth lets me hear phone calls correctly as well. The VA also supplied me with Signia's Streamline TV adapter that connects the TV sound to my hearing aids so I don't have to crank up the volume and disturb my wife. The Signia "My Control" app on my phone lets me adjust my aids and devices as needed for different conditions.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I am interested to see how this pans out. According to what I am seeing they are only in 28 states, which for a traveler could mean a lot of roaming.

Wrong Gary, how about a link to your 28 states only coverage? LOL! You always seem to contradict without a link even when I provide them. They cover all 50 states and even have International roaming with E Sim equipped phones.

They provide service on AT&T towers for GSM only phones, and CDMA for Verizon towers. You get one or the other not both at the same time unless you have a dual sim phone.

Gary, I asked during our recent T-Mobile fiasco and no they would not get an American rep online. As for asking for another rep yep, been there done that. You might try checking your coverage facts before you contradict my posts that have links so you too can call them or read the actual website yourself. Anywhere my Verizon phones can go with Verizon they can go with US Mobile.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I was just on there and they state they use 2 different carriers. Gsm and Lite on single phone.

Glenn, nope. One or the other. See some phones can do either. Their phone number is on the link above. If you are interested. I had to call to make sense of their MVNO GSM and CDMA services. This service is great!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

An aside on your high frequency loss: My VA supplied Siemens Signia hearing aids do an excellent job of correcting my HF loss, and using the supplied SteamLine Mic device to connect them to my Android phone via Bluetooth lets me hear phone calls correctly as well. The VA also supplied me with Signia's Streamline TV adapter that connects the TV sound to my hearing aids so I don't have to crank up the volume and disturb my wife. The Signia "My Control" app on my phone lets me adjust my aids and devices as needed for different conditions.

Thanks Dutch. I know. I got my ReSound hearing aids and bluetooth pendant to connect my phone in late 2018. They don't help on the phone for me. When I called up they said they issue new ones after five years. I had one sent out for repair in 2020 from our local VA Clinic. Great service.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

9 hours ago, RV_ said:

Thanks Dutch. I know. I got my ReSound hearing aids and bluetooth pendant to connect my phone in late 2018. They don't help on the phone for me. When I called up they said they issue new ones after five years. I had one sent out for repair in 2020 from our local VA Clinic. Great service.

Ok, I hope when you eventually get a new pair they've improved that function. One of the first tests I did with my aids and pendant was listening to Pandora from my phone. I was impressed with how much better the frequency response was. And I agree on the VA service. I recently broke a receiver wire on one of my aids, and my audiologist offered to either mail a replacement to me or have the labs pickup courier drop it off at our local CBOC that afternoon. That's service!

Dutch

11 hours ago, RV_ said:

Glenn, nope. One or the other. See some phones can do either. Their phone number is on the link above. If you are interested. I had to call to make sense of their MVNO GSM and CDMA services. This service is great!

I may call them. I have the grandfathered wifi device and it is unlimited. But our phones are 3 gig each. For $35 plus taxes each. Wife and I. I would save money and get unlimited. You stated you got Hulu and Netflix. How you watching it. They are not unlimited hot spot. I have to wait till we settled down in a spot. we traveling next few days

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

15 hours ago, RV_ said:

Wrong Gary, how about a link to your 28 states only coverage? LOL! You always seem to contradict without a link even when I provide them. They cover all 50 states and even have International roaming with E Sim equipped phones.

You are correct. I searched for US Mobile and it for some reason pulled up US Cellular. 

They provide service on AT&T towers for GSM only phones, and CDMA for Verizon towers. You get one or the other not both at the same time unless you have a dual sim phone.

Gary, I asked during our recent T-Mobile fiasco and no they would not get an American rep online. As for asking for another rep yep, been there done that. You might try checking your coverage facts before you contradict my posts that have links so you too can call them or read the actual website yourself. Anywhere my Verizon phones can go with Verizon they can go with US Mobile.

I did not say that you would get an American rep, I said you could ask for someone to speak to that you understood. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Gary I know you meant to ask for another rep. I used to be able to get American reps when I asked. I have of course asked to speak to another rep, and they would usually comply.

The topic is there is a new MVNO in town, better prices, and I was sharing that with all here. Including the actual links which lead to the right website.

I can share but it is the job of each here to do their own due diligence.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 6/26/2021 at 7:00 AM, GlennWest said:

I may call them. I have the grandfathered wifi device and it is unlimited. But our phones are 3 gig each. For $35 plus taxes each. Wife and I. I would save money and get unlimited. You stated you got Hulu and Netflix. How you watching it. They are not unlimited hot spot. I have to wait till we settled down in a spot. we traveling next few days

Glenn,

I don't do hotspots, but I believe I can use my tablet with LTE wired with HDMI cable or casting to the TV or something to avoid Hot Spot limits.

If a hotspot is needed I read that I can use the built in hotspot on my tablet but I just got my starter kit today and finished activating it an hour ago. So I won't be exploring all it can do. It is 4G and the speed was good 52Mbps down and 18Mbps up with 2-3 bars. Surfing felt as fast as my main system on CenturyLink (up to) 150Mbps which is usually ~100Mbps/20Mbps.

What you might want to do is what I did and call them with all your questions. US Mobile 878-205-0088 These folks bend over backwards with customer support and get it done fast.

The website was not as clear as I liked but calling them and letting them walk me through it was a breeze. https://www.usmobile.com/plans

Do like I did and call with your exact question/s and see if it suits. I called and looked through the website three or four times before I took a chance. Read my update next.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Update Sat 26 June '21:

OK. IT was with some trepidation that I began the activation process on my Surface Go 2 LTE using the Verizon Sim card they sent.

They do send two SIM cards in every activation kit. One for GSM AT&T service with some limitations, and what they call their Super LTE on Verizon towers.

I want Verizon because here when you go out of town especially in the mountains I am told the Verizon has much more coverage but also dead spots, just not as many.

When I researched which to use today I found many posts from folks saying their Surface Go connected fine but not their newer Surface Go 2 like mine. They said Verizon will not recognize the Surface Go 2 IMEI! They said they had to get a business Surface Go 2 for much more money to connect to Verizon. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfacego-surfver_surfgo2-surftop_network/surface-go-2-cannot-be-activated-on-verizon/8440ef34-4331-4d7a-8a5f-e16ef394dae0

When we tried to activate mine earlier today when I tried to input the IMEI I got the dreaded not compatible IMEI!!!! The US Mobile rep said not to worry and gave me an alternate IMEI to use and it worked, activated and gets me better speeds than I expected! As I said above I am getting It is 4G and the speed was good 52Mbps down and 18Mbps up with 2-3 bars. Surfing felt as fast as my main system on CenturyLink (up to) 150Mbps which is usually ~100Mbps/20Mbps.

I would prefer no one joined me if anyone wants me to be responsible for their due diligence. I am only saying I am thrilled with the prices, customer service.

I finally understand the perks. All I have to do is sign up for the, in our case, HULU Disney bundle or whatever Netflix (Ask them and see the website for which they support.)

Once I sign up for say Disney PLus for $15 a month or whatever, I email my receipt/invoice to help@usmobile.com and that amount will be deducted from my monthly bill as long as I maintain three lines with them.

However I did not double check that for price limits. For example we do not want our Hulu bundle to have ads. So tomorrow I will see what I can do and will do it.

So once you have called them and if you decide to try them please save another ten bucks and I save ten bucks too if you use my referral code.

"Share the savings friend gets $10.00 and I get $10.00 if they join using my code:"

AWLJGAB

Hope that helps

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 6/25/2021 at 11:42 AM, RV_ said:

One more thing. T-Mobile and Dell have customer service reps that have heavy accents and talk in sing song inflections that I have real difficulty understanding. T-Mobile is the worst accents followed by Dell. Both terrible when you get a heavy accent. 

As far as I'm concerned the 'customer service reps' are just salespeople.  Been having a problem with Verizon, but trying to get it solved has proven impossible.  

I love V's service coverage (my T mobile camping neighbors had to go to town for service) but other than that, not real pleased. 

I was with Verizon. Their customer service was OK. This provider, US Mobile, only uses the Verizon towers for 4G and 5G. US Mobile is an MVNO, so we get their customer service reps who are excellent at technical support too. Only much cheaper for unthrottled unlimited data.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

12 hours ago, RV_ said:

Only much cheaper for unthrottled unlimited data.

Like most cellular providers it appears that the "unlimited" data is only for "on phone" use.  Hotspot data  is separate and limited to specific caps.  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

7 hours ago, docj said:

Like most cellular providers it appears that the "unlimited" data is only for "on phone" use.  Hotspot data  is separate and limited to specific caps.  

Yes, the initial excitement about the plan quickly wore off as I read the "fine print"...

Dutch

Good quote where I said "Only much cheaper for unthrottled unlimited data. "

I don't see the word hotspot between my words unthrottled and unlimited.

I just use this data on my 10" LTE Surface Go 2 which I can wire to a TV if that is what is wanted. It also has its own "share" app that isn't detected as a hot spot, but streams 4G data fine.

Joel is US Mobile cheaper, the same, or more expensive for hotspot data when compared to as you said most cell providers. That would be helpful to those who want hotspot use.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

8 hours ago, docj said:

Joel,

I think my Visible plan is somewhat unique in allowing unlimited data, when using my phone as a hotspot.  The data part attracted me, because I was interested in a back-up hot spot (along with being my only voice account) for $25 a month.  

I've tested Visible a few times, with SpeedTest, and also downloaded some very large files.  Visible at my home, seems to be about the same as my Verizon hotspot post-paid account.  

But latency for the Visible account is typically over 100 ms.  I just tried it and SpeedTest reported the site was connected to was in Phoenix (I'm in CT).  That may be a killer for some folks.

All of the above said, I don't stream anything.

Dan

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

There are lots of folks here who aren't full time guys. Like me they will likely only do weekends now and that is fine with a USB C to HDMI/DP cable for streaming I am sure. For the rest I just use the type-cover keyboard and the Surface. I do also have unlimited access via my Tesla account in the car. I'll have to check and see if it can be hot spotted as it were. Good ideas coming from the discussion.

Although we have yet to use these phones as hot spots, the unlimited plans are just for backup if we have prolonged power outages. We have never used more than 512MB of data combined in a month and rarely less than a TB of streaming data on our home network.

For the part time RVrs I don't see anything from any provider with so much for the money. Albeit perhaps not for full time RVrs who want to hot spot only.

Good discussion.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

13 hours ago, RV_ said:

Joel is US Mobile cheaper, the same, or more expensive for hotspot data when compared to as you said most cell providers. That would be helpful to those who want hotspot use.

I don't use cellular phone accounts for hotspot data because of the ever-present caps.  I currently have multiple hotspot accounts with each of the major carriers.  I have an AT&T unlimited account through MIllenicom, a grandfathered prepaid unlimited Verizon account, and two of the T-Mobile 100GB/mo accounts.  The cost of each of these is $50-100/mo.  That's, of course, in addition to the postpaid accounts I have for my Verizon phones and  they are grandfathered onto a old unlimited plan.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Update. We just sent the receipt for the Disney bundle and without commercials it was $20.00. US Mobile is discounting my monthly bill of $75 (all taxes and fees included) as promised. Here's the email confirmation of my free no ads Hulu bundle:

"Hi,

Thank you for reaching out, the Perk discount for the Hulu Perk is $13.99, this discount will activate on the plans next purchased through autopay for the  line 719XXXXXXX once the plans activate with the discount you can review orders tab on your account.

You can view more information about perks and how they work online here, in the FAQ section."

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further assistance, please feel free to write back to us any time.

XXXX   XXXXXX

Technical Support Manager"

So $75.00 - $13.99 = $61.01 monthly for three lines, unlimited data and no throttling with US Mobile. Our service has been flawless on Verizon towers and my Internet service on my Surface Go 2 LTE tablet has been fast and stable like at home.

I understand that having a hotspot with Internet eliminates the need for wires and wireless solutions. But on my LTE Tablet there are no caps and as long as I use it with US mobile I don't worry.

Were we on the road today we would have four lines, two data only for our our two LTE computers, and two phones. We could do one LTE AT&T and the other one Verizon like our current phones. Four lines would get us another discount on another streaming service Here is the US Mobile phone info and data info:

"We’re going all in! Uncapped, unthrottled, unlimited.We’re going all in! Uncapped, unthrottled, unlimited.

Today, we’re announcing one of our biggest launches ever, with a huge update to our Unlimited All and Family plans to ensure that you can get powerful and uncompromising connectivity without compromising your experience or budget. 

This launch represents advances in three main areas.

1. Truly unlimited plans for modern data needs
  2. Simple all-in pricing: $45/line with 1 line. $30/line with 2 lines. $25/line with 3+ lines.
  3. Unrivaled flexibility for connecting any type of device, for anyone 

Everything we’ve launched today has been designed to work holistically to unlock even more value for our users and push the industry forward. Let’s dive in! 

1. All-in Limitless Unlimited

These days, for newer devices, especially data-intensive applications that leverage 5G, unlimited data in a phone plan isn’t just a nice-to-have—it’s table stakes. Giving customers enough high-speed data is essential for delivering the best experience on today’s devices. 

Up until now, consumers were forced to choose between these two types of plans:

• Traditional plans that offer “unlimited” data but at 2G speeds
  • Plans with fast data and a high-quality experience, but in too limited quantity or too expensive for most budgets.

That painful decision ends today. Our new Unlimited All plans with uncapped, unthrottled data for $45/line all-in with taxes & fees already included. The plan also includes complimentary access to up to 10 GB of high-speed data abroad. And you get significant discounts and smart perks as you add more lines. 

Unlimited data in a phone plan isn’t just a nice-to-have—it’s table stakes. Giving customers enough high-speed data is essential for delivering the best experience on today’s devices. "

Source: https://www.usmobile.com/blog/were-going-all-in-uncapped-unthrottled-unlimited/

If we had four lines and two LTE laptops/tablets our costs would be 4 lines $25 each = $100 two times an approximate 13 dollar discount for two streaming services =  $100-$26= $74.00 for four unlimited plans, two data only for LTE laptops or tablets and two voice (phones) all taxes and fees included. For those who prefer hotspots this service may be the best buy for just having phones with Verizon on one and AT&T on the other.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I was totally surprised by the Surface Pro + in the review! I may have to get one if they ever offer an i7. Here is the Microsoft store page for it - totally new to me:Microsoft Pro 7+ with replaceable SSD and LTE

I am not endorsing any of these. I knew there were tablets with LTE but not a lot of laptops. Well I don't own or plan to own laptops anymore with Surface systems available, so I haven't kept up with laptops. I was totally floored by the number of 4G LTE laptops out there today too. I am not sure 5G would be a solution for RVrs who aren't in cities or towns as much. 4G is just fine for streaming. And no hot spot fees or equipment needed to stream unlimited. Here are some excerpts from Pocket lint and Laptop magazine who tests these things. If you buy one and hate it blame them as I have no experience with any of them except for my Surface Pro 7 without LTE, and our two Surface Go 2 with LTE I have tested. I owned the best specs they offered for the first Generation Surface Go before they had the m3 processor and only had the Pentium Gold 4415Y - slow with unsatisfactory battery life but great display etc. Our two identical Surface Go2 LTE with the m3 processor and 8GB/128GB are much improved with six hour battery life and much faster with the m3. My Surface Pro 7 is not the one with LTE.

I was apprehensive about getting the sim card because folks with the Go2 on other carriers had imei issues with the Surface Go 2 LTE. US Mobile resolved those for me on a quick phone call. Love it!

Excerpts from Pocket-lint magazine. I excerpted the highlights and put the link for their full reviews of each computer at the bottom of each highlight below.

These new LTE-capable Windows 10 laptops start at just $185

21 January 2021

https://www.pocket-lint.com/laptops/news/microsoft/155432-these-new-lte-capable-windows-10-laptops-start-at-just-185

Those were the cheapest - next are the best from Laptop Magazine:

The best 4G LTE laptops in 2021

By Mohammad Tabari 2 days ago

No Wi-Fi? No problem — these are the best 4G LTE laptops

1. HP Elite Dragonfly

The best overall 4G LTE laptop you can buy

Specifications
CPU: Intel Core i7-8665U
GPU: Intel UHD 620 GPU
RAM: 16GB
Storage: 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD
Display: 13.3-inch, 1920 x 1080
Size: 11.98 x 7.78 x 0.63 inches
Weight: 2.5 pounds
Reasons to buy
+Excellent design+Incredibly long battery life+Gorgeous display+Good performance 
Reasons to avoid
-Imperfect audio

The HP Elite Dragonfly sports an excellent midnight blue magnesium chassis coupled with a vivid display that accentuates colorful imagery. It’s a great choice for business use with nearly 13 hours of battery life, making it a long-lasting powerhouse. If you’re looking for a great laptop with 4G LTE capabilities, the Dragonfly is our number one choice. It comes with an Intel XMM 7360 LTE-Advanced chip, which allows users to connect to the internet using 4G. 

Due to its Intel UHD 620 GPU, it’s not made for gaming and shouldn't be used as such. However, it’s perfect for getting work done thanks to its 8th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU. It’s also really nice to look at, although it’s not as nice to listen to; the Dragonfly provides underwhelming audio quality. It can also be a bit expensive, as this version of the Dragonfly costs $2,169. 

See our full HP Elite Dragonfly review

2. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (7th Gen, 2019)

The most durable and lightweight of 4G LTE laptops

Specifications
CPU: Intel Core i5-8265U
GPU: Intel UHD 620 GPU
RAM: 8GB
Storage: 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Display: 14-inch, 1920x1080
Size: 12.71 x 8.54 x 0.58 inches
Weight: 2.1 pounds
Reasons to buy
+Lightweight design +Good speakers+Solid battery life (on 1080p model)
Reasons to avoid
-No microSD card slot-4K version has low battery life-Models can get pricey

The Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon is a great choice thanks to its lightweight and durable design. The battery life may not be as impressive as the Dragonfly, but it lasted 9 hours and 30 minutes in our battery test, which is still quite impressive. The Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon’s Intel UHD 620 GPU makes it a poor choice for gaming, but with a quick 8th generation processor and excellent keyboard that feels tactile and weighty, it’s perfect for work and business.

The laptop can come with a Fibocom L850-GL 4G LTE CAT9 chip, which allows users to connect to the internet via a 4G LTE connection. However, this is an optional accessory that must be added onto the purchase for $149.99. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come with a microSD card slot, which means it might not be the best choice for photographers and videographers.

See our full Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (7th Gen, 2019) review 

3. HP Spectre x360 (13-inch, Late 2019)

The quickest for the best price of the 4G LTE laptops.

Specifications
CPU: Intel Core i7-1065G7
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
Display: 13.3-inch, 1920x1080
Size: 12.1 x 7.7 x 0.7 inches
Weight: 2.7 pounds
Reasons to buy
+Fantastic battery life+Quick performance+Bright and colorful display
Reasons to avoid
-Underwhelming speakers-Lacking cooling system-Too much bloatware

Thanks to a combination of fast processing power and a low price, the HP Spectre x360 provides the best value of any 4G LTE laptop you can buy. The model we reviewed goes for $1,299 and has an Intel Core i7-1065G7 processor that can easily handle plenty of multitasking like crunching numbers in a big spreadsheet with a collection of tabs open in the background. On top of that, you get a gorgeously designed silver chassis, and a bright and vivid display, all of which  results in a great value for its price.

The laptop can be equipped with an Intel XMM 7560 LTE-Advanced Pro chip, which is what will allow consumers to connect to the internet using 4G LTE. However, the process of adding this onto your purchase is a bit complicated. While customizing the HP Spectre x360, your color needs to be set to “Nightfall Black” and you must select the processor with “(WWAN)” at the end. Then, you’ll be able to select a wireless carrier. This adds an additional $130 onto the purchase.

See our full HP Spectre x360 (13-inch, Late 2019) review 

4. Microsoft Surface Pro 7+

The best 4G LTE laptop with a swappable SSD

Specifications
CPU: Intel Core i5-1135G7
GPU: Iris Xe
Storage: 256GB SSD
Display: 12.3 inch 2736 x 1824-pixel
Size: 11.5 x 7.9 x 0.3 inches
Weight: 1.8 pounds
TODAY'S BEST DEALS
Reasons to buy
+Vivid display+Swappable SSD+Good webcam+Solid CPU and graphics performance
Reasons to avoid
-Mediocre battery life-No Thunderbolt ports

Microsoft's Surface Pro 7+ boasts fast processing and graphics performance, and although it possesses drawbacks, it manages to improve upon its predecessor in a number of ways. The Pro 7+ adds a swappable SSD in particular, which makes it stand out in this list.

It does have issues, including a battery life (8:49) that lagged over an hour behind our premium laptop average (10:05). Additionally, we would have liked if it had a Thunderbolt port, and the omittance of 5G is a bit surprising considering it's such a recent release. We're still not fans of the thick display bezels, which has carried over from the original Pro 7.

However, if you're looking for a 4G LTE laptop with a solid webcam, colorful display and great thermals, the Surface Pro 7+ is a worthwhile investment.

See our full Microsoft Surface Pro 7+ review

5. Samsung Chromebook Plus

The cheapest of the 4G LTE laptops

Specifications
CPU: Intel Core m3-6Y30
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 615
RAM: 4GB
Storage: 32GB of eMMC
Display: 12.3-inch, 2400 x 1600
Size: 11.06 x 8.72 x 0.55 inches
Weight: 2.4 pounds
Reasons to buy
+Quite affordable+Verizon 4G LTE is automatically installed+Clear and radiant display
Reasons to avoid
-Spongy keys with low travel-Android app functionality isn't great

The Samsung Chromebook Plus is the cheapest standard 4G LTE laptop, which makes it a great value option for those needing mobile data while working away from home. It starts at $599.99, which means you shouldn’t expect much from its 32GB of eMMC storage and Intel Core m3-6Y30 processor, but its clear and radiant display is bound to charm you.

Additionally, it comes with Verizon 4G LTE automatically installed in its $599.99 base model, which means you won’t have to spend additional money to get access to this function. However, the spongy keys on its keyboard are frustrating because they are mushier than we’d like. Its Android app functionality isn’t particularly impressive, either, but if this isn’t much of a dealbreaker for you, the Samsung Chromebook Plus is a good choice for those in need of a cheap 4G LTE laptop.

See our full Samsung Chromebook Plus review 

6. Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1

The most well-rounded 4G LTE laptop.

Specifications
CPU: Intel Core i7-8665U
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage: 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Class 40 SSD
Display: 14-inch, 1920x1080
Size: 11.06 x 8.72 x 0.55 inches
Weight: 3 pounds
Reasons to buy
+Great performance+Excellent battery life+Satisfying design
Reasons to avoid
-Display lacks brightness-Poor audio quality

The Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 is a well-rounded system thanks to its 13 hours of battery life, nice aluminum chassis, and great performance delivered by its Intel Core i7-8665U and 16GB of RAM. It's not cheap, with prices starting at $1,679, but it's a powerful business laptop that is well worth it for those looking to invest in something that will last.

However, it does possess a few issues, including a display that could be far brighter. Since it’s a laptop that might often be used in bright places away from home, it’s dark screen could prove to be frustrating. Additionally, its speakers sound distorted, muffled and hollow. If you’re looking to purchase the Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 with 4G LTE capabilities, you have to customize it with a $139.30 Qualcomm Snapdragon X20 LTE modem that supports Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T.

See our Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 review 

7. Microsoft Surface Go 2

The best value 2-in-1 detachable 4G LTE laptop

Specifications
CPU: Intel Core m3-8100Y
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 615
Storage: 128GB SSD
Display: 10.5 inches, 1920 x 1280
Size: 9.7 x 6.9 x 0.3 inches
Weight: 1.2 pounds (1.8 with keyboard)
Reasons to buy
+Fantastic webcam+Great battery life+Colorful display+Keyboard and stylus sold separately
Reasons to avoid
-Underwhelming CPU

The Microsoft Surface Go 2 can be purchased at an incredibly low price, which is well worth it considering its 10.5-inch display is vibrant and vivid. And even though its Intel Core m3-8100Y processor isn’t particularly powerful, it more than makes up for it with 11 hours and 39 minutes of battery life. 

The Microsoft Surface Go sports an excellent webcam which provides crisp image and video quality. The display is also detachable, making it usable as both a tablet or laptop. The laptop also has its 4G LTE automatically included within the purchase, which means you won’t have to spend more than the standard price of $729 for the tablet. However, unfortunately, its keyboard and stylus are sold separately, which means you’ll have to spend at least an additional $130 for these accessories.

See our Microsoft Surface Go 2 review 

How to choose the best 4G LTE laptops for you 

When picking a 4G LTE laptop, a primary factor you should consider is your budget. The laptops we’ve listed range anywhere from $599 to $2,169, so some of these cheaper options might be a perfect fit for you. Both the Microsoft Surface Go 2 and Samsung Chromebook Plus match this criteria.

However, if money isn’t much of a concern, the HP Elite Dragonfly is an excellent choice. It’s powerful and gorgeous, both externally and internally. You’re sure to fall in love with its vibrant display. It can cost around $2,169.99, so be sure you want to make this steep investment. Keep in mind that this is not a gaming laptop, but it can handle light photo and video editing. And if you need a laptop with a swappable SSD, we recommend the Microsoft Surface Pro 7+.

For $1299.99, the HP Spectre x360 is also a great choice. Coming in at around $1299.99, it provides a handful of positive traits including fantastic performance and admirable battery life, assuming you're not using the 4K display model.

The Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 is a jack-of-all-trades and the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon strikes a balance of having excellent performance, but also exceeding in its great lightweight design and durability.

How we test the best laptops 4G LTE laptops 

We put each laptop through extensive benchmark testing — both synthetic and real-world — before they end up in the hands of our reviewers. We evaluate each aspect of the laptop, including its performance, battery life, display, speakers and heat management.

In our benchmark testing, we use a Klein K10 colorimeter to detect the brightness and sRGB color gamut of the laptop's display. For performance testing, we run the laptop through a gauntlet of benchmarks, including Geekbench 4.3 and 5.0 and 3DMark professional graphics tests. 

To determine real-world performance, we task the laptop to convert a 4K video to 1080p resolution and to duplicate a 4.97GB multimedia file. Our real-world graphics test is the Dirt 3 benchmark with medium settings at 1080p resolution.

We also run heat tests by playing a 15-minute full-screen video and measuring temperatures in different areas of the laptop. Last but not least, our battery test consists of continuous web surfing over Wi-Fi at 150 nits of brightness. For MacBooks and premium Windows 10 laptops, a runtime of over 9 hours is considered a good result whereas gaming laptops and workstations that can stay powered for longer than 5 hours deserve praise. 

These tests are complemented with extensive hands-on testing from our reviewers who critique everything from the laptop's materials to the feel of its touchpad."

The original laptop magazine article with pics and hotlinks to related is here:

https://www.laptopmag.com/best-picks/best-4g-lte-laptops#:~:text=Here are the best 4G LTE Laptops. 1,7%2B. 5 5. Samsung Chromebook Plus. More items

So there are the updates to my three unlimited one data unlimited lines and the research my curiosity prompted so far. No downsides yet.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 7/5/2021 at 8:42 AM, docj said:

I don't use cellular phone accounts for hotspot data because of the ever-present caps. 

Edited to add Cordcutter name link,  and specifics.

Joel, I don't do hot spots except for playing around with the Windows phones a few years back that are gone. I understand the desire for them for RVrs with two people. Alone I would use a cable to connect to my TV or just watch on my Surface devices.

I'd go multiple laptops/tablets with LTE today with these unlimited uncapped plans.

$50 bucks for 100GBs of data or 25 bucks for unlimited data. How long until ROI on each $500 device? I could dedicate one to our TV always wired and turned on when turning on the TV.

Perhaps rather than off the top of head answers here as many do, and assuming someone else who knows the cost of their devices and plans could do the work like I do and compare actual prices for unlimited without hotspots and using LTE devices. The costs of the hotspot devices and plans might cost more than using this US Mobile plan.

Just because we disagree does not make my preferences right for you or vice versa. You like hotspots and I don't. I do use a device, the Hauppauge Cordcutter, for my over the air antenna to my router to tune in and then it broadcasts the signal to all my devices: Phones, computers etc  and that is only so I can watch TV in the john! It allows us to watch live TV from the 40 or so local channels my antenna picks up here, that it rebroadcasts over my router to all systems in HD. It connects to our outside antenna and/or the router. We stream the online providers like Netflix at 4g a lot of the time too. It may work for RVrs too with the external antenna: https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_cordcuttertv.html

These unlimited data only plans make me feel like a home Internet service in my car. But my Tesla is always connected and has all the streaming services and music built in. Cost is $120 a year for Internet.

As well, today here in beta, I can spend $500 on the hardware and $100 a month for Starlink Internet. If we were on the road we'd have both LTE on devices and Starlink. But at $100 a month it is almost twice the price, albeit twice the speeds, of my local Centurylink Internet at $65 @ up to 150Mbps. However severe storms can disrupt any satellite service. The next year will be fascinating to watch and see as Starlink becomes a major player.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

7 minutes ago, RV_ said:

But at $100 a month it is almost twice the price, albeit twice the speeds, of my local Centurylink Internet at $65 @ up to 150Mbps. 

Our home base location doesn't have access to wired internet of any kind.  Therefore, Starlink will be a nice alternative to at least one of our current cellular connections. 

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador