Lake Superior area campsite availability currently

James Bartelt

Hi All, Totally failed to do enough research on weather & #'s of people flocking to major attractions like badlands, Grand Canyon, etc. My bad for sure. Extreme temps totally killed that idea(unless you have better info in that regard(Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming in particular look to be only getting worse July & August). In Wis. currently & beautiful weather(had to turn on heat 2 nites. Anyway, wondering if anybody has knowledge of campsite availability along Lake Superior (Germfask to Duluth & on up to international falls?  Or is that area deluged with visitors as well?  any info greatly appreciated.  Thanks,  Jim Bartelt

While I have not looked in that area, I have been planning for an extended trip to start shortly and in doing so I find that RV sites are not easy to find in busy areas and even the more rural areas are busier than they have been in past years. I did make advance reservations for most of our trip and suggest that you do the same. Try finding sites with Campendium and/or Campground Reviews.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What you'll find is that there are a lot of campgrounds that have seasonal sites for the summer.  If they have open sites there won't be many as a majority of seasonal sites already spoken for.  Many of the resorts will open for the following year in early October and some not until the first of the new year.  About all you can expect is to find the campground you want to stay at and call immediately and see if they have anything open for the time you want.

There are lots of state parks and state forests along the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota but I have no idea of availability this year. I do know the state forests are not as popular as the state parks. Gooseberry Falls is VERY popular so your odds there are slim. We've spent many nights in the Finland State Forest but these are all primitive campsites.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_forests/camping.html

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van