Campedium advice for new boondockers

agesilaus

9 hours ago, agesilaus said:

owned by Amazon I hear, they put out good posts.

I don't believe that there is any ownership by Amazon, but they are part of the Amazon Associates program. The following comes from Amazon:

The Amazon Associates Program is one of the largest affiliate networks in the world that helps content creators, publishers, and website owners monetize their traffic. ... Not only do Associates earn commission on products they refer traffic to, they may also earn on other products their readers may purchase on Amazon.

According to Zoom Info, the business is owned by Brian Easterling & Leigh Wetzel who founded it and they have 83 employees and revenue of $17 Million. The following comes from the Campendium website: 

Campendium Inc is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com or endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, or AmazonWireless.com.

Pages on this Service may include affiliate links to Amazon and its affiliate sites on which the owner of this Service, Campendium Inc, 848 N Rainbow Blvd. #929, Las Vegas, NV 89107, will make a referral commission.

Like yourself, I read a lot of what they publish and I find that I use their campground referrals more and more. 

As it happens, Escapees RV Club also has an Associates Program.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

29 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Like yourself, I read a lot of what they publish and I find that I use their campground referrals more and more. 

I just saw a comment by some saying that they were owned by Amazon, he probably misinterpreted that note.

The problem with them boosting some campsite is that hundreds of thousands of others have seen the same thing and many are headed to the camp site.

46 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

The problem with them boosting some campsite is that hundreds of thousands of others have seen the same thing and many are headed to the camp site.

That could be true to some extent ever if sharing the information on these forums.  😏

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have extensively used Compendium and Allstays along with Campground Reviews to locate campgrounds for many years and found their info to be very accurate and useful every time.  Using at least two sources I cross check the info on each location as I have lots of time between fishing and camping trips for planning next.  Of course others may have a different experience. Five stars  to both IMHO and Google search is my friend along with Forest Camping.com.

Edited by NamMedevac 70

It's a matter of which layout you like better. I just prefer FreeCampsites. I have Campedium, Allstays and iOverlander and my Garmin RV890 surprisingly has iOverlander built in. So far as I can tell they mostly have the same info but may call the same site by a different name to confuse things. I do not plan to renew Allstays, we just about never use it.

And there are a number of other sites/apps. One I have taken a dislike to is the Dyrt.

1 hour ago, agesilaus said:

It's a matter of which layout you like better. I just prefer FreeCampsites. I have Campedium, Allstays and iOverlander and my Garmin RV890 surprisingly has iOverlander built in. So far as I can tell they mostly have the same info but may call the same site by a different name to confuse things. I do not plan to renew Allstays, we just about never use it.

And there are a number of other sites/apps. One I have taken a dislike to is the Dyrt.

How come you don’t like the Dyrt?  I’m asking out of curiosity, I’ve never looked at them before.  I’m pretty new at boondocking and have found Campendium pretty good, better than AllStays which seems to list only campgrounds.  I’ve only recently downloaded iOverlander so don’t have a feel for how good it will be for dispersed camping sites.

I will admit that I feel uncomfortable depending on dispersed camping recommendations if I’m traveling - I’m afraid of finding somewhere completely overcrowded, or the road in is going to be tougher than it was when the review was written a couple of years ago, or …. I’m also not thrilled about scouting for a spot towing the trailer - I’d rather scout on foot or by truck without the trailer.

Otherwise, the article linked to above is good - be prepared for the conditions.

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2021 at 5:08 PM, fpmtngal said:

How come you don’t like the Dyrt?  I’m asking out of curiosity, I’ve never looked at them before.  I’m pretty new at boondocking and have found Campendium pretty good, better than AllStays which seems to list only campgrounds.  I’ve only recently downloaded iOverlander so don’t have a feel for how good it will be for dispersed camping sites.

I will admit that I feel uncomfortable depending on dispersed camping recommendations if I’m traveling - I’m afraid of finding somewhere completely overcrowded, or the road in is going to be tougher than it was when the review was written a couple of years ago, or …. I’m also not thrilled about scouting for a spot towing the trailer - I’d rather scout on foot or by truck without the trailer.

Otherwise, the article linked to above is good - be prepared for the conditions.

When planning on boondocking, it's important to plan a back up spot.  And have some way to claim a site when you scout it so it doesn't become occupied between scouting and arriving with the RV.  We've had a couple end up that way.  Sucks, but we were able to find an alternative site.  Until we started to travel with a second vehicle, I scouted sites on my bicycle - park reasonably close, and off ya go.  A less desirable alternative is to find a parking lot or pull out reasonably close by and drop the trailer. 

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

10 hours ago, aknavy said:

How come you don’t like the Dyrt?  I’m asking out of curiosity, I’ve never looked at them before.

No major reason, they demand money as soon as you log on and IIRC they hide most of the site until you pay up. I've only been on that site a few times and not recently.

My preferred site is FreeCampSites followed by Campedium which both are free to access tho maybe Campedium has a premium service. They both show the same info for the most part. I just prefer the layout of freecampsites and I voluntarily contributed to the site.

Campedium has been bought out by TOGO and they say there will be no changes but they will integrate it with their other services eventually. I have to say that Campedium is more professionally designed and they have an active mailing list where they send out info on sites. And they do videos on YT. FCS is more bare bones.

Frankly I'm not all that happy about having good boondocking sites advertized by Campedium, showing up on one of their great campsite videos is the kiss of death. That site will be flooded and destroyed.

While I can certainly understand how good boondocking sites might get ruined when it becomes common knowledge.  On the other hand, I don’t really have a good idea how to find a reasonable spot.  I’m heading to the North Rim area next week and am planning on boondocking on national forest land - but since I’ve never been there, I’m depending on Campendium to lead me to a spot that’s reasonable, at least for an overnight until I might be able to scout out a better one (I have no idea how long I’m going to stay - couple of days at the most).  I’m getting way out of my normal comfort zone doing this.

You hardly need Campedium to show you a spot, that whole NF area is open to boondocking. Miles and miles of forest.

I'm not whining about Campedium or Free-campsites just about Campedium putting out YT videos like The 10 best boondocking spots in XXXX area. Heh.

At least someone has to know how to use the sites to find spots those YT videos make it too easy.

4 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

While I can certainly understand how good boondocking sites might get ruined when it becomes common knowledge.  On the other hand, I don’t really have a good idea how to find a reasonable spot.  I’m heading to the North Rim area next week and am planning on boondocking on national forest land - but since I’ve never been there, I’m depending on Campendium to lead me to a spot that’s reasonable, at least for an overnight until I might be able to scout out a better one (I have no idea how long I’m going to stay - couple of days at the most).  I’m getting way out of my normal comfort zone doing this.

On Hwy 67 toward the national park you'll come to De Motte national forest campground on the right.  It's very nice. 

Immediately past it on the right is F.S. 22. Turn there and head west for about 3/4-1 mile.  It's flat, good gravel. As soon as you start to see trees you'll see places to boondock. Pick your spot.  If you have a trailer try to pull over at first opportunity and get out and walk a little to scout.  If you have a motorhome, we've parked on the highway around De Motte.... nice wide shoulders and detached the car to take scouting.  You don't have to look long and you don't have to drive more that a mile after coming to the boondocking spots.  It's a nice place and the national park entrance gate is nearby.  You might even try for a site in the national park's campground.  So you have 3 options right there.

I'm curious.... what does Campendium have to say about this spot?

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

19 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

On Hwy 67 toward the national park you'll come to De Motte national forest campground on the right.  It's very nice. 

Immediately past it on the right is F.S. 22. Turn there and head west for about 3/4-1 mile.  It's flat, good gravel. As soon as you start to see trees you'll see places to boondock. Pick your spot.  If you have a trailer try to pull over at first opportunity and get out and walk a little to scout.  If you have a motorhome, we've parked on the highway around De Motte.... nice wide shoulders and detached the car to take scouting.  You don't have to look long and you don't have to drive more that a mile after coming to the boondocking spots.  It's a nice place and the national park entrance gate is nearby.  You might even try for a site in the national park's campground.  So you have 3 options right there.

I'm curious.... what does Campendium have to say about this spot?

They don’t really talk about sites along FS 22 - but there are two write-ups from people who went to the intersection of FS 22 and FS 270, then south of 270 a bit.  The two reviewers said that sites along FS 22 looked small for their rigs and others were already occupied.  Both thought their respective sites on FS 270 were excellent (level, open gravel areas).  I’ll probably try FR 22 first, perhaps dropping the trailer at the first site I can find and then scouting further either on foot (if the place I drop the trailer is good enough to stay at) or with the truck.

• 3 months later...
On 8/10/2021 at 5:56 PM, agesilaus said:

I'm . . . . whining about . . . . . . . Campedium putting out YT videos like The 10 best boondocking spots in XXXX area.

I agree.  This response is a knee jerk reaction about a useful site like Campedium apparently trying to build their new user database by adding YT stuff and end-up killing places with week-enders.  Has anyone asked if they are making the YT videos, or if users are taking their data and making the videos? Can their info be trusted once sites they recommend become one of the 10 BEST BOONDOCKING AREA'S?

For me, one of the adventures of boondocking is the interest and excitment of finding a virgin, or little used, place.  Do we really need anything more than a location service like Day's End, word of mouth among friends like in Boondockers BOF, or the excitement of finding a new place?

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg