Jackalopee Plug

NTHEWIND

10 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

First year engineering prof said the most important thing you'll take from this course is the following phrase, "Constants aren't, and variables won't". This many years later, that's the only thing I remember from that course. Time has proven him right.

In my first year of engineering studies, the prof told us that when and if you graduate, the degree does not make you an engineer.....all we do is give you the tools to become an engineer.

Scrap, good to hear from you, as usual you got the goods, I got a whole new "education" in the last two days. As usual you lay your finger right on the culprit, the SAE J2863 standard for pickups and light utility trailers.

KyKi50fl.jpg

Note the wire requirement, purple. Haven't seen RV cable with purple wire. Next J2863 from the link Scrap posted.

7ZRRTzGl.jpg

Orange and grey, haven's seen and RV cable that has grey and orange in addition to the other five colors. Here's the comparison of three standards including the senior citizen SAE J560 used on the semis since 1951. J560 is on the right, another version of the J2863 on the left and the "traditional 5th wheel/Travel trailer/Camper" wiring in the center.

vjzWPzyl.jpg 

gl5lANNl.jpg

Curt recognizes the problem and issues the following "warning"

7qU8M6Ql.jpg

Here's a "contribution" from AJ Truck and Trailer Center, they strongly suggest that you keep it in your toolbox for future "reference".

f9jkTypl.jpg

I'm curious where do you find a seven wire RV cable that has no black wire but two green wires.

After half a century of engineering I have a less that sanguine take on good engineering. "Good engineering is knowing 20% of stuff that works and 80% of crap that doesn't".

DRV must have an Amish technician that is color blind.... they had the 12v aux hooked to the trailer brake line.  When I hooked up and plugged in the trailer at Lazy Days, I heard the brake actuator- disc brakes- humming.  The trailer would roll until the pads and rotors started smoking... found and pulled the fuse for the brake pump.  There were other issues as well, but we won't go there tonight....

14 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

DRV must have an Amish technician that is color blind.... they had the 12v aux hooked to the trailer brake line.  When I hooked up and plugged in the trailer at Lazy Days, I heard the brake actuator- disc brakes- humming.  The trailer would roll until the pads and rotors started smoking... found and pulled the fuse for the brake pump.  There were other issues as well, but we won't go there tonight....

Pretty common occurrence, I guess blue is blue and it doesn't matter which one. Got tired troubleshooting this nonsense long distance, so now a one pager Cliff Notes ship with the manual and the unit. Check item 5 on the list.

2xluWxJl.jpg

Incidentally, re-write of the manual has been accomplished, it's now 16 pages, 9 in the manual section and 7 in the "How to wire the Jackalopee" section. Those who sent me name and email link will see it shortly, anyone interested send me name and email.

22 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

I noticed you have DirecLink, how is your experience with installation and performance of the unit?

Henry,

The installation went very well, I run a 4 conductor #12 SOOW cord from the Jackolopee to the Direclink and it has performed perfect since installation a little over 2 years ago.

Ken....

31 minutes ago, hatrack said:

Henry,

The installation went very well, I run a 4 conductor #12 SOOW cord from the Jackolopee to the Direclink and it has performed perfect since installation a little over 2 years ago.

Ken....

Hmm, interesting. So you wired everything in the Jackalopee by outputting the power and ground from the Jackalopee? How did you terminate +12V (in and out)?