Jackalopee Plug

NTHEWIND

10 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

First year engineering prof said the most important thing you'll take from this course is the following phrase, "Constants aren't, and variables won't". This many years later, that's the only thing I remember from that course. Time has proven him right.

In my first year of engineering studies, the prof told us that when and if you graduate, the degree does not make you an engineer.....all we do is give you the tools to become an engineer.

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scrap, good to hear from you, as usual you got the goods, I got a whole new "education" in the last two days. As usual you lay your finger right on the culprit, the SAE J2863 standard for pickups and light utility trailers.

KyKi50fl.jpg

Note the wire requirement, purple. Haven't seen RV cable with purple wire. Next J2863 from the link Scrap posted.

7ZRRTzGl.jpg

Orange and grey, haven's seen and RV cable that has grey and orange in addition to the other five colors. Here's the comparison of three standards including the senior citizen SAE J560 used on the semis since 1951. J560 is on the right, another version of the J2863 on the left and the "traditional 5th wheel/Travel trailer/Camper" wiring in the center.

vjzWPzyl.jpg 

gl5lANNl.jpg

Curt recognizes the problem and issues the following "warning"

7qU8M6Ql.jpg

Here's a "contribution" from AJ Truck and Trailer Center, they strongly suggest that you keep it in your toolbox for future "reference".

f9jkTypl.jpg

I'm curious where do you find a seven wire RV cable that has no black wire but two green wires.

After half a century of engineering I have a less that sanguine take on good engineering. "Good engineering is knowing 20% of stuff that works and 80% of crap that doesn't".

DRV must have an Amish technician that is color blind.... they had the 12v aux hooked to the trailer brake line.  When I hooked up and plugged in the trailer at Lazy Days, I heard the brake actuator- disc brakes- humming.  The trailer would roll until the pads and rotors started smoking... found and pulled the fuse for the brake pump.  There were other issues as well, but we won't go there tonight....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

14 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

DRV must have an Amish technician that is color blind.... they had the 12v aux hooked to the trailer brake line.  When I hooked up and plugged in the trailer at Lazy Days, I heard the brake actuator- disc brakes- humming.  The trailer would roll until the pads and rotors started smoking... found and pulled the fuse for the brake pump.  There were other issues as well, but we won't go there tonight....

Pretty common occurrence, I guess blue is blue and it doesn't matter which one. Got tired troubleshooting this nonsense long distance, so now a one pager Cliff Notes ship with the manual and the unit. Check item 5 on the list.

2xluWxJl.jpg

Incidentally, re-write of the manual has been accomplished, it's now 16 pages, 9 in the manual section and 7 in the "How to wire the Jackalopee" section. Those who sent me name and email link will see it shortly, anyone interested send me name and email.

22 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

I noticed you have DirecLink, how is your experience with installation and performance of the unit?

Henry,

The installation went very well, I run a 4 conductor #12 SOOW cord from the Jackolopee to the Direclink and it has performed perfect since installation a little over 2 years ago.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

31 minutes ago, hatrack said:

Henry,

The installation went very well, I run a 4 conductor #12 SOOW cord from the Jackolopee to the Direclink and it has performed perfect since installation a little over 2 years ago.

Ken....

Hmm, interesting. So you wired everything in the Jackalopee by outputting the power and ground from the Jackalopee? How did you terminate +12V (in and out)?

Henry,

Your Jackalopee pdfs are a work of art.  It must have taken you many hours to design and refine them.

Thank you!

And I'm pleased to learn that I'm the proud owner of a horny interface.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

3 hours ago, DanZemke said:

Henry,

Your Jackalopee pdfs are a work of art.  It must have taken you many hours to design and refine them.

Thank you!

And I'm pleased to learn that I'm the proud owner of a horny interface.

Bless you son, when one spreads the gospel of the Jackalopee one must go beyond of what is a beauty in the eye of the beholder.

10bucYIl.jpg

But I must confess that when Father Boniface got a glance of that horny hare, that's Boniface standing over my scriptorium,

rt50saVl.jpg

I almost got excommunicated.

Brother Henry

Edited by phoenix2013

23 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Hmm, interesting. So you wired everything in the Jackalopee by outputting the power and ground from the Jackalopee? How did you terminate +12V (in and out)?

I used the 12Vdc from the trailer in cable and  used the ground lug marked brake ground. I'm thinking about running a separate 12Vdc from the battery, but I want to switch it so it isn't hot all the time. Thinking about a relay triggered from the 12Vdc that I'm using now.

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

Brother Henry,

Alas, I fear your quest to go beyond, has gone too far. And your exposure is far worse, than the inclusion of a horny hare in your scriptorium work.  

I've spoken with Father Boniface about your dabbling in the dark arts, including your use of FEA in the design of your ET hitch.  He was appalled!  You need to back-off of any further promotion of FEA.  Father Boniface will be calling you about your Finite Excrement Analysis soon!

Bless you Henry

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Brother Dan, have thy mercy, Father Boniface has banned me from the scriptorium and as my confessor has been very generous with the Hail Marys. The "Hare Affair" has been the talk of the monastery and there are bets on my purgatory time prior to the Heavenly Gate admittance, Brother Grim is the high bettor at the century mark. For those not familiar with my literary output and there are many, this is what got me in such hot water with Father Boniface.

G3Bxc3Dl.jpg

Notwithstanding my prowess with Microsoft Word Boniface says it will be a while before they even let me do church announcements, indulgence absolutions contracts and wanted posters for King's warden.  

I was wondering how the Finite Excrement Analysis came up. I must warn Brother Robert, he is arriving at the Rally with the Springfield clan and he is a serious proponent of that art with the latest version on his computer. If Boniface finds out he might try to reach the cardinal to start the excommunication process.

Edited by phoenix2013

8 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

If Boniface finds out he might try to reach the cardinal to start the excommunication process.

Not to fear.  I gotcha covered.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

Got the engineering juices flowing again. Hence the Old Goat engineering challenge to you guys "What the hell is he up to now".

EUyn8asl.jpg

Ken, I think you got the idea what I'm up to, give the boys a day or two to ponder it, let's see how close they come up with an answer

The Old Goat

63PxI3Wl.jpg

Brother Dan, if Father Boniface takes a gender of this I'm pretty sure exorcism is in my future, for he will certainly be convinced the evil has wandered into his monastery.

Edited by phoenix2013

On 7/26/2021 at 8:46 PM, hatrack said:

Henry,

Ken....

I've been thinking about this for some times since quite a few of you guys have tried to do all of the Brake Controller wiring in the Jackalopee, instead of of doing some of it under the dash and some in the Jackalopee. It looks like Ken has done most of the DirecLink Brake Controller wiring in the Jackalopee. 

I've had discussions with DirecLink (Tuson) folks for some time.

Ya2tPwel.jpg

cxYkGnVl.jpg

Pretty impressive bit of technology, I like impressive technology. I also asked Jack Meyer about it and he informed me that they have been installing these in their conversions with good result in variety of semis (not just Volvos). So, the item in question is the power and signal harness that comes with the DirecLink.

xMjmu0bl.jpg

Four wires: black (+12VDC), white (ground), red (brake lights) and blue (0 to 12V in DC mode for magnetic brakes, or PWM in digital mode for a pump in hydraulic brakes). In conventional way of wiring these you wire the black, white and red under the dash of the truck and bring the blue to the RV socket or to the Jackalopee. But you guys are so clever and "observant". 

"Here we are screwing with the blue wire bringing it to the Jackalopee and now we have to dig under the the dash to connect the other three wires, didn't we see in the Jackalopee +12V, ground and the brake lights, Hmmmm?"

I actually thought about having provisions in the Jackalopee to do just that but it requires redesigning the PCB. Doable but not the top item in my bucket list at my age. So this is the way to do it in the current PCB configuration.

67LmJRKl.jpg

Ken used SOOW 12  gauge cable with four conductors, which allowed him to do most functions in the Jackalopee, to do it all you need five conductors. OK next test, why five and how would you wire these?

88jHD4Cl.jpg

Edited by phoenix2013